Steel Challenge May 14, 2011 - Harvard Sportsmen's Club

PMD

STEEL CHALLENGE MATCH
SATURDAY, MAY 14
SET-UP AND REGISTRATION 9:00AM TO 9:45AM
START TIME 10:00AM squadded

4 Stage Match
Scores not to be sent into SCSA (Steel Challenge Shooting Association)
$10.00 first gun - if space permits 2nd gun $5.00
Juniors shoot first gun for free.

General Principles: Steel Challenge scoring is simple: your time is your score!
Each stage consists of five targets, commonly referred to as plates. Four are standard plates, and the fifth is designated as the stop plate.
Each of the standard targets must be hit at least once before hitting the stop plate, and the time stops when the stop plate is hit. Competitors may fire as many rounds as they deem necessary for each string of fire. The worst string on each stage will be thrown out, and the total of the remaining times will be competitor’s score for that
stage. All stages will be shot five times with the exception of "Outer Limits" which will be shot four times.
The maximum time allowed for an individual string is 30 seconds.

For complete Rules and stage layouts please go here:
http://steelchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/SCSARules.pdf

*HSC is a COLD RANGE: All firearms will be kept UNLOADED except on the firing line under the direct supervision of a Match Officials.
*Gun handling at Safe tables only and must be brought to the firing line in a holster or case.
*Eye and ear protection is required for all shooters and spectators.
*Holsters: In general, holsters shall be mounted in the general vicinity of the waist, must cover the trigger, and must safely hold/retain the gun. All Centerfire handguns must be appropriate for holster use.
*HSC will allow "Low Ready" starts for Centerfire handguns (2 seconds added per run)
*Rimfire competition does not involve the use of a holster
*Each competitor is expected to come to the firing line ready to shoot, with an appropriate amount of ammunition in an appropriate number of magazines or speed-loaders or other loading devices.
*Minimum cartridge for centerfire competitions (38 Special, 9X19).
*Rimfire firearms must be .22 Long Rifl e (.22LR) only
*Any ammunition deemed unsafe or likely to damage the targets will be removed from use
*Any standard plate which has not been hit before the stop plate will count as a Miss. Each Miss on a standard plate will result in a 3 (three) second penalty, added to the shooter’s time for that string.
*If the stop plate is not hit, the score for that string is 30 seconds

As a general rule HSC does not allow long guns in the action pits - special dispensation would be needed

They also don't allow rimfire either, as a general rule. I AssUMe that SC will put tarps down or something since the reason behind the rule is cleanup.

Interesting points gentlemen... This reminds me of my USPSA RO class I took a few years ago where the question was asked about whether a club could, or should, have local rules that conflict with the USPSA rulebook. NROI's position is if you are going to advertise an event as USPSA then someone who is not a member of the club who goes to the event and follows the USPSA rulebook should not be penalized for violating a local rule.

This would be equivalent, I think, to a club having a local rule saying you can't use a pistol with an optic... so people would come to the USPSA match expecting to shoot in the Open Division only to find out that at this club the Open Division is not allowed. Rimfire has been part of Steel Challenge for years and the provisional rules for 2011 are permitting rimfire long guns. You may have folks coming to this match planning on shooting rimfire who are not aware of HSC's rules, or maybe they did not see this thread to learn about the issue.

I guess the resolution to this - if no dispensations are granted - is to just not call the matches "Steel Challenge" in the future... Make up another name, i.e. the "Harvard Action Shooting Challenge" and specify the particular rules of the club, such as no rimfire and no long guns but you are essentially following all the other rules of Steel Challenge and using those stages.

My $0.02, for what it's worth. [grin]

John,
Thanks for your $0.02 - but this match is and will remain advertised as a Steel Challenge (SCSA) event.
The new SCSA Rules does note that "Long gun competitions may be run in the Steel Challenge."
I see "may" as an option. Also as an FYI - both the Steel Challenge World Shoot and the US Steel Nationals do not offer Long guns as a category option.

Paul

so rimfire will be run this sat.

Rimfire pistol - yes.

Rimfire Rifle - not sure yet - originally we were not planning on a rimfire rifle (long gun) division and is why this match was listed under "Pistol Competition".
Since the long gun question was asked we are looking into and will post here if included.

I have heard from the powers that be...
Rimfire rifles may be used in the Action Pits as part of an organized, scheduled event so Yes there will be Rimfire Rifle divisions - Open + Iron.

4 Stage Match
Each stage consists of five targets, commonly referred to as plates. Four are standard plates, and the fifth is designated as the stop plate.
Each of the standard targets must be hit at least once before hitting the stop plate, and the time stops when the stop plate is hit. Competitors may fire as many rounds as they deem necessary for each string of fire. The worst string on each stage will be thrown out, and the total of the remaining times will be competitor’s score for that
stage. All stages will be shot five times with the exception of "Outer Limits" which will be shot four times.

So... 3 stages x 5 rounds minimum x 5 times + 1 stage x 5 rounds x 4 times = 95 round count minimum?

John,
Thanks for your $0.02 - but this match is and will remain advertised as a Steel Challenge (SCSA) event.
The new SCSA Rules does note that "Long gun competitions may be run in the Steel Challenge."
I see "may" as an option. Also as an FYI - both the Steel Challenge World Shoot and the US Steel Nationals do not offer Long guns as a category option.

Paul

No good dead goes unpunished Paul.

Thanks for all your efforts on this. Very sorry I can not make it as Saturday will be a work day. (actually that's a good thing) See you in RI

So... 3 stages x 5 rounds minimum x 5 times + 1 stage x 5 rounds x 4 times = 95 round count minimum?

We will not be shooting "Outer Limits" this weekend - so the minimum with no make up shots is 100rounds. I'd suggest bring 140 -150 rounds just to be safe...
Also if you can please bring 5 mags - it helps to make the match run smoother..

We will not be shooting "Outer Limits" this weekend - so the minimum with no make up shots is 100rounds. I'd suggest bring 140 -150 rounds just to be safe...
Also if you can please bring 5 mags - it helps to make the match run smoother..

Ouch. That leaves out a lot of guns, including the Model 19 (I only have 3 speed loaders for it, I think). Oh, well... I can bring the CZ75 and the 10/22.

Ouch. That leaves out a lot of guns, including the Model 19 (I only have 3 speed loaders for it, I think). Oh, well... I can bring the CZ75 and the 10/22.

You should order some to have them for ICORE anyways. [smile] I only have L-frame speed loaders, otherwise I'd lend you some. If you had hi-cap mags you could use less than 5, but it's up to you to know if you have enough in the gun to shoot the string.

Weather looks okay till the afternoon but in the low 60's so make sure those 22's are clean and lubed only a little !
dwarven1, keep an eye out here today, maybe some other K frame shooter will offer a loan for your Mod 19.
Even if it starts to sprinke I'm sure we'll have some cover at the shooting stages.
Remember a case or chamber flag for those rifles !!

And make sure you all give PMD a big "atta boy" for getting this all running, I offered to help but Pauls' probably done
99% of the work so don't forget.

See you all tomorrow !

You could also use the 617 with some DS10 speed loaders. I shot a Steel Challenge match at New Bedford last year with one speed loader and a 40 round loading block. They had a table next to the box so I could put loading block on. One of these days I'll get 5 DS10's, a monster loading block, and the Crown Royal dump pouches like 10mmdave. [bow]

Last edited:
You could also use the 617 with some DS10 speed loaders. I shot a Steel Challenge match at New Bedford last year with one speed loader and a 40 round loading block. They had a table next to the box so I could put loading block on. One of these days I'll get 5 DS10's, a monster loading block, and the Crown Royal dump pouches like 10mmdave. [bow]

I can't find my loading block. [crying] Need to get a new one. But if I use the one HKS "speed"loader, I have 4 speed loaders total, so I think that'll be good to go. Or I suppose it could be a rimfire day and bring my Mark II - got about 7 mags for that.

Great match today! Thanks to all of those that made this happen. Also a big thanks to those on my squad who let me bump to the head of the line on the last stage so I could make it to the open house at my club.

Thanks Paul and everyone else for putting together a great match today. Paul- when are the scores gonna be up? Hehehehe.. just kidding... I really don't want to see them anyway.

Really wanted to make it. The boss was worried about rain and didn't want to play in the mud. Sounds like it was an awesome day.

Back
Top Bottom