Steel Challenge Match - June 18, 2011 - Harvard Sportsmen's Club

PMD

STEEL CHALLENGE MATCH - SATURDAY, June 18, 2011
REGISTRATION 8:30AM +/-
START TIME 9:30AM squadded

4 Stage Match:

Accelerator http://steelchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/accelerator.pdf
Outer Limits http://steelchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/outer_limits.pdf
Pendulum http://steelchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/pendulum.pdf
Showdown http://steelchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/showdown.pdf

Categories:
Pistol Open, Pistol Iron, Production, Revolver Open, Revolver Iron, Rimfire Pistol Open, Rimfire Pistol Iron, Rimfire Rifle open, Rimfire Rifle Iron.

Scores will not to be sent into SCSA (Steel Challenge Shooting Association)
$10.00 first gun - if space permits 2nd gun $5.00
Juniors shoot first gun for free.

General Principles:
Steel Challenge scoring is simple: your time is your score!
Each stage consists of five targets, commonly referred to as plates. Four are standard plates, and the fifth is designated as the stop plate.
Each of the standard targets must be hit at least once before hitting the stop plate, and the time stops when the stop plate is hit. Competitors may fire as many rounds as they deem necessary for each string of fire. The worst string on each stage will be thrown out, and the total of the remaining times will be competitor’s score for that stage. All stages will be shot five times with the exception of "Outer Limits" which will be shot four times.
The maximum time allowed for an individual string is 30 seconds.

For complete Rules and stage layouts please go here: http://steelchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/SCSARules.pdf

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***NOTE***

*HSC is a COLD RANGE: All firearms will be kept UNLOADED except on the firing line under the direct supervision of a Match Officials.
*Gun handling at Safe tables only and must be brought to the firing line in a holster or case.
*Eye and ear protection is required for all shooters and spectators.
*Holsters: In general, holsters shall be mounted in the general vicinity of the waist, must cover the trigger, and must safely hold/retain the gun. All Centerfire handguns must be appropriate for holster use.
*HSC will allow "Low Ready" starts for Centerfire handguns (2 seconds added per run)
*Rimfire competition does not involve the use of a holster
*Each competitor is expected to come to the firing line ready to shoot, with an appropriate amount of ammunition in an appropriate number of magazines or speed-loaders or other loading devices.
*Minimum cartridge for centerfire competitions (38 Special, 9X19).
*Rimfire firearms must be .22 Long Rifle (.22LR) only
*Any ammunition deemed unsafe or likely to damage the targets will be removed from use
*Any standard plate which has not been hit before the stop plate will count as a Miss. Each Miss on a standard plate will result in a 3 (three) second penalty, added to the shooter’s time for that string.
*If the stop plate is not hit, the score for that string is 30 seconds

Last edited:
I just downloaded the file for "Showdown". Physical description of this stage was very clear, but no mention was made of procedure. What role do the shooting boxes play? Does the shooter choose a box to use or is he required to use both?

The last match was a lot of fun. I am looking forward to Sat.

I just downloaded the file for "Showdown". Physical description of this stage was very clear, but no mention was made of procedure. What role do the shooting boxes play? Does the shooter choose a box to use or is he required to use both?

The last match was a lot of fun. I am looking forward to Sat.

"Showdown will have two 3’x 3’ shooting boxes and two runs will be shot from one shooting box and two from the other. The competitor
may choose from either box to shoot their fi fth and fi nal run. There is NO movement between boxes during this course of fire."

Thanks Paul. Another question; in the last match some shooters were loading more than ten rounds in their mags. Is this practice determined by division (Production vs Limited for example) or is it the shooter's option? I see no advantage gained with a high cap mag, but it is convenient to be able to shoot more than one run before reloading.

Thanks Paul. Another question; in the last match some shooters were loading more than ten rounds in their mags. Is this practice determined by division (Production vs Limited for example) or is it the shooter's option? I see no advantage gained with a high cap mag, but it is convenient to be able to shoot more than one run before reloading.
Fred,
Here's what I could find from Rules link above.

Competition Divisions
A.1 General Principles: All shooters compete for overall placement in
the match. In addition to overall placement, shooters may also compete
for Division-specifi c awards based on equipment type.
A.1.1 Equipment requirements for the USPSA, IDPA, ICORE and Cowboy Single Action Divisions shall be governed by the respective USPSA, IDPA, ICORE and SASS rules and equipment criteria regarding firearm and holster configurations and rule interpretations.
A.1.2 Failure to meet the appropriate (USPSA, IDPA, ICORE
or SASS) rules and equipment criteria will disqualify the competitor from Division-specifi c award consideration.
The competitor will remain eligible for overall placement awards.
A.1.3 A competitor whose equipment fails to meet Division-specific equipment requirements may be moved into another Division in which their equipment qualifi es, at the Match Director’s discretion (see 2.1.1)

The way I interpret that Gammon is if you are shooting Production- you should have at most 10+1 for each string. Do I think the weight of 17 rounds in my gun would be a competitive advantage? Maybe a tiny bit if I'm shooting a Glock or plastic gun. Do I personally care what people do at a local club match- no, but that's not my call. And if they actually shot more than 11 rounds in a string... they probably aren't going to be very competitive anyway... no matter what division they are in.

Paul answered my question. Mag capacity is governed by the rules of the Division; Production ten rounds, Limited twenty, for example. I see no real advantage in a heavier pistol when shooting steel loads. My interest was in convenience as it is a little easier to shoot two or three strings without having to reload if you are using high cap mags. I may shoot my Limited gun on Sat so this ruling would allow me to shoot a couple of strings before reloading, I hope.

Can anyone join in these or just members? Also I have never done this but have practiced some idpa up there with a great bunch of guys .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone join in these or just members? Also I have never done this but have practiced some idpa up there with a great bunch of guys .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's open to non-members. Let the SO know that you've never shot SC before and they won't make you go first and will team you up with an experienced shooter.

Ill be there in the morning, with a friend. I'm not new to these matches, but he is. After you watch a few shooters go ahead of you, you get the idea of how things work.

My friend will be using a g22. He has one 15rd and two 10rd mags. Anyone have a spare mag he can borrow for the day?

SJan,
I'll bring some Glock 22 mags for him to use.
I'll be in a black Toyota Tacoma w/racks.
If he's really new to shooting he can shoot from the low ready.
See you in the am.
Paul

SJan,
I'll bring some Glock 22 mags for him to use.
I'll be in a black Toyota Tacoma w/racks.
If he's really new to shooting he can shoot from the low ready.
See you in the am.
Paul

You own a Glock? I am shocked and so disappointed...

Seriously, have fun. I'll have to miss this time, other obligations

Last edited:
I'll be there in an NES Zombie shirt! Say hi!
I do have one question... i have never shot steel before and i wanna use my new p220 tomorrow. but i only have 2 magazines. are the strings shot consecutively by each shooter or will i have time to reload for each string? if not... i'll be sporting the g21.

I'll be there in an NES Zombie shirt! Say hi!
I do have one question... i have never shot steel before and i wanna use my new p220 tomorrow. but i only have 2 magazines. are the strings shot consecutively by each shooter or will i have time to reload for each string? if not... i'll be sporting the g21.

The 5 strings are shot consecutively. Things move a lot faster if you have 5 mags. If you don't have enough mags bring ammo to the line and ask someone to help you top off your mags between strings.

Thanks for the help! I have plenty of magz for the 21 so i'll have to wait on the sig.
Besides, i may recruit someone to take a vid or 2 for me.... so asking someone to load magz too is a little........
C you all in a couple hours. [grin]

Great weather today and lots of new faces..
Thanks to all who helped out - it was much appreciated.

Here's the results. View attachment HSC 6-18-11 results.pdf
Please let me know if there are any "Category" problems as several did not circle any category.
email is - pauld "at" pmdandini.com

See you at the next match which is Saturday July 2nd.

Had a good time this morning! This was my first time at HSC and it is quite a beautiful place.
Shooting steel is much harder than it looks.
watch out for random turtles....
^.^

Great match today Paul!

These 1080 hd videos are bringing my ancient laptop to its knees but here is one of your runs:

[video=youtube_share;VIPuTrvhvrI]http://youtu.be/VIPuTrvhvrI[/video]

Yes another great SC match at HSC, thanks to all who helped out with running the stages and tearing it down.

And don't forget !!! July's match (7/2/11, not that far away [shocked]) will start a little earlier at 9:30 am

See you all then.

Anyone remember what time everyone finished up the match?

I really want to attend the July match, I am attending a wedding later that afternoon and I'm trying to figure out if I will have enough time.

Anyone remember what time everyone finished up the match?

I really want to attend the July match, I am attending a wedding later that afternoon and I'm trying to figure out if I will have enough time.

I think it was around 12:15pm for first match and around 2:15pm - 2:30pm for second.

Keep in mind that time was based on 33shooters in the morning match.

Back
Top Bottom