Steel Challenge anyone?

It was announced yesterday that USPSA acquired the Steel Challenge organization.

I know there will probably be talk of holding this type of match among the USPSA clubs in the section. However, outside USPSA, if your club currently holds steel matches you might want to think about getting involved and affiliated now that the backing of USPSA is behind Steel Challenge. Wallum Lake, with its foundation of steel shooters and great shooting pits comes to mind as a logical candidate.

I vote for PMD to start a Harvard chapter. [wink]

I'm not really into steel shooting but I'd thought I throw this out there.

I wonder if this is a good or bad thing. Will USPSA be more divided with this? Meaning, will they not focus 100% efforts on USPSA and only focus 50% on USPSA and 50% on steel challenge? Would be cool to be able to offer a USPSA/Steel Challenge match. Have 3 USPSA stages and 2 steel challenge? I guess at the end of the day it is a good thing for USPSA because growth is usually always good. And, thinking out loud it could generate more exposure and more members to USPSA as many steel challenge shooters might make the switch over as well.

It wouldn't make sense to have regular USPSA stages with Steel Challenge stages. No power factor is involved in the Steel Challenge, but, often a maximum velocity is limited.
It's stated that no changes will be made in the Steel Challenge. It's kind of like Nextel Cup and Busch Series. Both are Nascar, but different rules.

I wonder if this is a good or bad thing. Will USPSA be more divided with this?

I was apprehensive at first but it is Growing, not dividing. Our only problem will be more choices in where we shoot. The problem is in the hands of the people that have to schedule all this stuff.

Now Pete, go order some steel guns.

The purpose of my post was to think of some clubs outside of USPSA right now that would fit in with this new addition. Wallum Lake and Independent came to mind first. Any others?

Even clubs like MRA might be able to do some winter matches. They have a great indoor range and could prob. 2 stages at a time? I need an open gun now for steel. I wonder if I can set the Brazos to handle light loads.... HMMMMM I have 6 limited guns so I'm all set there. It feels good to be shooting again!!!

The only problem with the Steel Challenge is that none of the steel falls down!!! When you shoot steel, it's supposed to fall. I just can't get used to shooting stationary steel. Independant might be a good club for it, but I'd hate to see them give up any of their current steel matches.

-Cuz.

What steel matches does Independent run? I shoot there monthly and the events are basically USPSA. Plenty of paper to double-tap.

The only problem with the Steel Challenge is that none of the steel falls down!!! When you shoot steel, it's supposed to fall. I just can't get used to shooting stationary steel. Independant might be a good club for it, but I'd hate to see them give up any of their current steel matches.

-Cuz.

Static steel means nothing to reset and no worries about calibration. It also works well with .22s.

Paper is relatively new to Independent.

What steel matches does Independent run? I shoot there monthly and the events are basically USPSA. Plenty of paper to double-tap.
Scriv,
Paul's Action Pistol matches at Independent almost always have more steel than paper. That's what makes them so much fun.

-Cuz.

Static steel means nothing to reset and no worries about calibration. It also works well with .22s.
Paper is relatively new to Independent.

I just meant the Steel Challenge format is more about your speed out of the holster and banging the few (normally huge) plates in front of you.
I much prefer the Wallum Lake format where you have a few stages with 25 - 30 knockdown plates that you get to blast away at. I also enjoy the man on man format that Pinetree runs where you have to race against someone else to knock down your 5 - 8 plates and then the stop plate. For me, that's a great change up to shooting USPSA. I can round out my month with 2 USPSA matches and 2 Steel matches. If I'm lucky I'll get permission from the wife to add in a Saturday match at Independent. Now that my two boys are shooting their .22 rifles I may also need to find a match they can shoot in as well. This spring/summer season is starting to look very promising now that New Bedford is in the mix.
-Cuz.

Scriv,
Paul's Action Pistol matches at Independent almost always have more steel than paper. That's what makes them so much fun.

In point of fact, they were PIN & Plate shoots; smaller versions of the matches run at Mansfield. Because Independent didn't have the large area to work with that Mansfield had, the format was adjusted to fit.

Both were fun; however, the present format is a combination of steel and paper.

Paul's Texas Star is always a kick. [wink]

I just meant the Steel Challenge format is more about your speed out of the holster and banging the few (normally huge) plates in front of you.-Cuz.

In my opinion - SC is more about speed and accuracy not just slapping the trigger and banging a few plates. It can be a "challenge"..

The only stage with big plates in front of you is "Smoke and Hope" - I've seen many shooters - myself included miss plates on this stage.

"Steel Challenge" and "Knock Down steel" are two totally different games.

With Knock Down steel - the format and targets change from stage to stage and range to range.

With Steel Challenge - it's more consistent - there are 8 different stages - which are always setup the same - So if your shooting in MA or in CA the layout and targets are always the same (or should be).

Hopefully with the USPSA buying the SC it'll gain more popularity and more shooters will give it a try.

SC is good practice - although you do burn through a lot of ammo.

Getting your gear setup for the Steel Challenge is pretty easy if you are already shooting in pistol competitions - you can pretty much use any pistol/revolver and use your current USPSA , IDPA, ICORE or Cowboy holster setup. Lower powered loads are preferred and when electric stop pates are used they are set for a 120pf.

When shooting Rimfire (22lr), the start position is from the low ready - which is great for new shooters or those who do not like to use a holster.

Steve's idea about finding some clubs outside of USPSA to do some SC matches is a great idea.

When the weather gets better I'll talk to Dan H about the possibilities of running a couple practice matches at Harvard.

By coincidence I talked to Dave B. about running Steel Challenge at New Bedford a couple of months ago. I doubt it will be next year ('08) as New Bedford has committed to hosting two large IDPA matches in June and August respectively, in addition to a few IDPA club matches from April through November, and a monthly USPSA match in the same time frame. Staffing, and money to purchase the required steel targets, will be major problems.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom