Steel Casings and Revolver Cylinders

I searched to see if this question was already asked and couldn't find it, so sorry if its a repeat.

When shooting the Blazer (Steel) rounds from my revolver, they often get stuck in the cylinder, the cylinder rod won't move and they have to be removed individually; this is never a problem with brass. Has anyone else had this problem or have any advise? I'm wondering if the steel casings are more expansive due to heat than brass.??. The revolver is an S&W 627.

Thanks.

CCI Blazer isn't steel cased, it's aluminum.

It's pretty normal for them to get stuck and to have to use your fingers to pull them out of the cylinder. Course most of the time at least the ejector will push them most of the way out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's worse on some revolvers than others.

-Mike

The casings are aluminum and the expansion is nothing to worry about, provided it isn't so severe that you have real trouble removing them from the charge holes.

How hard are you pushing the ejector rod? While it's not advisable to manhandle it, a firm push should be enough to get the cases out. Maybe with trying to push out the 627's 8 cases all at once is a little much, though. My experience shooting Blazer aluminum is entirely with J-frames, and I've never much trouble.

One more reason to reload.

Life is too short to shoot shit ammo.

ETA: Do you want to know how much it costs me to make a 50 round box of .38 Special? Even if you don't want to know, I'll tell you. Six dollars and seven cents.

How much did you pay for Blazer ammo again?

Ooops, your both right, aluminum, not steel, err. sorry (aircraft grade aluminum, I remember now). I pushed the ejector rod pretty hard, and yes, it moved a little (enough to get my fingers under them to pry them out) but the casings were definately stuck.

Thanks both of you, I was a bit worried.

Two big differences between aluminum and brass:
1) Aluminum experiences greater thermal expansion
2) Aluminum doesn't spring back to its original dimensions as readily

So between the two...that's why they stick.

I'm wondering if the steel casings are more expansive due to heat than brass.??.

From what I understand, you're close. Brass has a higher elastic limit then steel and aluminum, which in this case simply means that steel and aluminum cases don't return to their original shape once the pressure is removed.

edit: I see I beaten

Thanks Jose, I'll sleep better knowing that. I'll have my fun and you have yours, ehh. How much did that reloading kit cost you again? :)

Not as much as you think. Most everything I have (except the dies) is second hand.

And all of it got amortized off a long time ago. Even more so when I can make ammo that you cannot buy at any price.

One more reason to reload.

ETA: Do you want to know how much it costs me to make a 50 round box of .38 Special? Even if you don't want to know, I'll tell you. Six dollars and seven cents.

That's only because your time is worth nothing to you!

Of course that's ok if it's something you enjoy anyway.

How much time do you think it takes you to make a box of 50, everything included, buying supplies, sorting brass, whatever? Just curious.

I can't see myself reloading just for economic reasons as there is plenty of other places I can probably save even more money by making or doing things myself. But it does seem like it could be enjoyable.

That's only because your time is worth nothing to you!

Of course that's ok if it's something you enjoy anyway.

How much time do you think it takes you to make a box of 50, everything included, buying supplies, sorting brass, whatever? Just curious.

I can't see myself reloading just for economic reasons as there is plenty of other places I can probably save even more money by making or doing things myself. But it does seem like it could be enjoyable.

Oh, IDK. Buying bullets takes less than typing this post. I buy powder and primers maybe once a month. Good excuse to fondle guns at the fun store. I don't sort brass. I dump it in the tumbler and let it run for a couple of hours while I clean guns, drink beer, or do the nasty with the Mrs.

As far as case prep, prime, and load, I can get 200 done in a week without spending much more than an hour a day.

Reloading isn't practical for everyone. I rarely have a waking hour a day at home, and when I do I'm usually so exhausted that it's not wise to reload.

I do reload when I want the best performance possible out of my loads (generally small lots), and I always try to get boxer-primed brass, so one day when I do have time to get the 550 set up, I'll have plenty of brass to do it with. But it's simply not practical for many.

I would love to get into reloading, my wife keeps telling me we should, but it is the initial cost of all the equipment for me. I know about what it would cost new, any ideas what a good used system goes for? Maybe it is something we can work towards for around Christmas. I have plenty of brass, I have been saving all my brass, incase I were to go to that guy who reloads on the Cape. But, if I can do it my self for cheap money, what the hell, god knows I got the time.

I would love to get into reloading, my wife keeps telling me we should, but it is the initial cost of all the equipment for me. I know about what it would cost new, any ideas what a good used system goes for? Maybe it is something we can work towards for around Christmas. I have plenty of brass, I have been saving all my brass, incase I were to go to that guy who reloads on the Cape. But, if I can do it my self for cheap money, what the hell, god knows I got the time.

Two ways to do it cheaply:

Buy everything you can used. Don't buy everything at once.

The minimum level of equipment that you need to reload pistol cartridges is this:

Tumbler
Tumbling media
Single stage press
Powder measure
Die set (decapper/sizer, mouth expander, seater/crimper)
Shell holder
Case primer
Loading block

That is it.

Oh, IDK. Buying bullets takes less than typing this post. I buy powder and primers maybe once a month. Good excuse to fondle guns at the fun store. I don't sort brass. I dump it in the tumbler and let it run for a couple of hours while I clean guns, drink beer, or do the nasty with the Mrs.

As far as case prep, prime, and load, I can get 200 done in a week without spending much more than an hour a day.

It takes 7 hours to reload 200 rounds?

Actually, no. I shot the number off the cuff because I don't keep track of my time. It is an enjoyable activity, not work.

I reload with a single stage, not a progressive. It provides all the ammo I need for virtually nothing since over half of my equipment was bought used for pennies on the dollar. Hell, I got my press for free.

I recently bought a new Lee Load-Master, never used, on here for $110.00. It came in the box with a set up to load .45acp. I have since ordered dies for .223. Now I need components, a tumbler, and knowledge. I have a lot of brass. I need to find good loads for .223.

Paul, FWIW, when you stop by I can show you how long it actually takes to
do a run of 100 rounds of .38 SPL.

The most time consuming part is polishing the brass but the machine does all the work there. [laugh]

-Mike

Actually, no. I shot the number off the cuff because I don't keep track of my time. It is an enjoyable activity, not work.

I reload with a single stage, not a progressive. It provides all the ammo I need for virtually nothing since over half of my equipment was bought used for pennies on the dollar. Hell, I got my press for free.

I didn't think it took that long.

Shooting the revolver will probably be the thing that pushes me to reloading. Prices for .38 and .357 are ridiculous and I'd like a S&W 629 some day. However, with a young kid and all the activities that go with that, reloading will only be for certain rounds.

Paul, FWIW, when you stop by I can show you how long it actually takes to
do a run of 100 rounds of .38 SPL.

The most time consuming part is polishing the brass but the machine does all the work there. [laugh]

-Mike

I'd definitely like to see that. Hell, I'll bring you some brass.

I didn't think it took that long.

Shooting the revolver will probably be the thing that pushes me to reloading. Prices for .38 and .357 are ridiculous and I'd like a S&W 629 some day. However, with a young kid and all the activities that go with that, reloading will only be for certain rounds.

I don't let my kid get roped into every single activity known to man like some people do. Not saying you are that way, but some people need to let kids be kids and not "activity machines".

I don't let my kid get roped into every single activity known to man like some people do. Not saying you are that way, but some people need to let kids be kids and not "activity machines".

I don't either but she has some and I want to spend time with the family also. On top of that, I have a regular job and a fair bit of side work. Given the amount of free time I have, I'd rather actually be shooting instead of reloading. In a few years, that'll change.

I'm just wondering here but, does shooting reloaded ammo, negate the waranty on firearms? The manual with my revolver states quite plainly that reloads are not to be used. I've also read an article (link below) advising against reloads for ccw. I'm not trying to kick up a hornets nest here, but the warranty especially is concerning, to say nothing of the byline of one of the members (I can't remember who, but its a GREAT quote) "the loudest noise...is a bang when you expect a click and a click when you expect a bang."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

I'm just wondering here but, does shooting reloaded ammo, negate the waranty on firearms? The manual with my revolver states quite plainly that reloads are not to be used. I've also read an article (link below) advising against reloads for ccw. I'm not trying to kick up a hornets nest here, but the warranty especially is concerning, to say nothing of the byline of one of the members (I can't remember who, but its a GREAT quote) "the loudest noise...is a bang when you expect a click and a click when you expect a bang."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm
First, Chuck Hawks is a tool and a windbag. Whatever he says, ignore.

Every manufacturer says their warranty is void if reloaded ammo is used. Millions of people every day shoot reloaded ammo in guns under warranty and the few who need warranty service get it anyway.

Factory made ammo is not perfect. You can get a click when you want a bang with it too.

If I were to carry my handloads, I would make up a batch paying an extreme amount of attention and quality control to it, at a level that no factory could match.

I'm just wondering here but, does shooting reloaded ammo, negate the waranty on firearms?

No, not unless you actually do something irresponsible/careless and blow the gun up... but such accidents are easily avoided with a little bit of caution and
quality control practices.

I carry commercial ammo but I reload everything else. I literally could not afford to shoot what I shoot if I had to do it only with commercial ammo.

-Mike

It depends on how you reload and what you load it on.

I reload on a progressive, and usually load 500-1000 rounds at a time. It takes a few minutes to buy supplies, maybe 5 minutes of my actual time to clean 1000 .38 Special cases (the tumbler runs for a few hours but it doesn't take long to load and unload it). A worst-case caliber change on my machine takes maybe 15 minutes (and that includes getting the proper powder charge, OAL, and crimp). I can fill 10 primer tubes in about 1/2 hour, and it'll take about two hours to load 1000 rounds.

All told, that's about three hours for 1000 rounds, or about 9 minutes per box of 50.

Back
Top Bottom