Staying Under the Radar

This post got me to thinking:

How many of us have take home cruisers? Even if you did.. would you take it home?

Also, do you feel comfortable not facing a doorway when you are at a restaurant?

Personally I don't have a take-home cruiser, I have stopped in my house a few times for lunch and taken one home a couple evenings but I really dislike it.

I also would rather face the entrance to buildings when sitting for any length of time in public.

My fiance' used to think I was paranoid, she understands finally I think. At least that's what she tells me right before we go into a place and she sits facing the doorway and I have to give her a look. [rolleyes]

Only the chief here has a take-home (unmarked). I would think of a cruiser in the driveway as a "challenge" for some thugs and thus wouldn't want to be responsible for it.

I like to see what's going on around me, where exits are and who is walking up towards me, so I try to place myself strategically and my Wife will ask most times when it's just the two of us . . . with others (sheeple) it's not an explainable topic.

Back when I was a Reserve PO, there were times that I'd stop at the house during a shift. A couple of times neighbors who knew me would ask me (at a later time) if "everything was alright, I saw a cruiser parked in your driveway the other day". I would laugh and tell them that it was me, working. That's how observant most sheeple are(n't). These were people who knew me and if they read the local newspaper they might see the list of folks appointed each year, etc.

Being from an extended family of civil servants with both Fireman and Police Officers I was taught early to not only sit where I can see the doors but also to never stay in a room and seat myself until I have identified the exits. I have gotten a couple interesting looks from hostesses who have wondered why I ask for that table in the back near the fire door with a view of the whole room! I let them wonder.

-R

I was taught early to not only sit where I can see the doors but also to never stay in a room and seat myself until I have identified the exits.

I travel frequently for work and every time I check in to a new hotel I make sure to walk the emergency exits/stair cases before my head hits the pillows. I also count the number of rooms between mine and the exit. That way if the smoke is so bad I cant see, I can feel for and count the door frames. I also never go to sleep without a flash light on the bedside table and a set of clothes/shoes ready to put on.

After 9/11 I began to take every fire alarm very seriously. When one goes off I am among the first to leave the building. I'm amazed how many people will take their time collecting their belongings or treat every alarm as a test.

I dont have a take home but I work in the same town that I live in. Truthfully I only stop at my house once a shift for meal break and I make sure I dont run over the time I am alotted for meal break. I use to hate having people see my cruiser parked in the driveway (I would even drive around the block to make surer there was no traffic behind me). It dosnt bother me much now because everyone knows where I live. I have even had locals stop at my house to report stuff or "appologize for the other night" It drives me nuts but after politely asking them not to do it again it rarely does.
As far as watching a door my wife dosnt even ask anymore. She always takes the seat where she knows I can see the door. I have even waited for seating at a busy restraunt to keep from not having at least a partial view of the front door area
This post got me to thinking:

How many of us have take home cruisers? Even if you did.. would you take it home?

Also, do you feel comfortable not facing a doorway when you are at a restaurant?

Personally I don't have a take-home cruiser, I have stopped in my house a few times for lunch and taken one home a couple evenings but I really dislike it.

I also would rather face the entrance to buildings when sitting for any length of time in public.

My fiance' used to think I was paranoid, she understands finally I think. At least that's what she tells me right before we go into a place and she sits facing the doorway and I have to give her a look. [rolleyes]

I travel frequently for work and every time I check in to a new hotel I make sure to walk the emergency exits/stair cases before my head hits the pillows. I also count the number of rooms between mine and the exit. That way if the smoke is so bad I cant see, I can feel for and count the door frames. I also never go to sleep without a flash light on the bedside table and a set of clothes/shoes ready to put on.

After 9/11 I began to take every fire alarm very seriously. When one goes off I am among the first to leave the building. I'm amazed how many people will take their time collecting their belongings or treat every alarm as a test.

wow. I thought only I did that stuff.

As a cops son, I also learned to sit in the back, be able to see the doors & not have your back to any of them.

The LEO next door has a take home cruiser. He was a little apprehensive when he found out he was getting it..new in the 'hood..what would the neighbors think, etc. We all thought it was great!

I would not want to take home a marked cruiser. Too many issues when everyone in the area knows what you do.

I have a take home vehicle but it is an undercover vehicle and therefore no one knows what it is.[smile]

When I first came into detectives we had take home unmarked Ford Crown Vics. I declined taking one home until we got away from Crown Vic's.

Being from an extended family of civil servants with both Fireman and Police Officers I was taught early to not only sit where I can see the doors but also to never stay in a room and seat myself until I have identified the exits. I have gotten a couple interesting looks from hostesses who have wondered why I ask for that table in the back near the fire door with a view of the whole room! I let them wonder.

-R

I do the same thing, whether I'm working or not, and I'm not even a LEO! My wife things it a bit odd, but what the hell. I figure if I'm somewhere and some whack job comes in shooting, I want whatever advantage I can get.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I've seen some troopers who park their cruisers at the local PD, I'd guess it's for the same reason that others have commented on here.

It's too the point now that my wife will make sure I can see the door when we go out to eat.

The flashlight, and knowing where the fire escape is and having clothes ready has just been added to my plans.

And I thought I was the only one getting yelled at by my wife every time we go to a resturaunt... We went out new years eve, and i was actually PARANOID about where we were seated. as far away from the three extits as possible in a PACKED resturaunt... nevermind the claustrophobia.

I would think that having a cruiser in THIS day and age would only deter the small timers.... Hard Corps crooks wouldnt care.... Friend of mine is in Deleware SP, had a shooting the other night at a basketball game WHILE SP was there!!! they were there breaking up a fight, and some kid shot another from arround the corner of a bldg.

I think best defense is having a good offense!! shoot straight and make the hit count!

I don't have a take home cruiser but I do occasionally take one home (early detail the next day or whatever). I prefer not to because there is always the potential of getting into something while travelling to and from work. I did have a take home MC which I used in the good weather. (It went right into the garage so no one could see it parked in the driveway). Since being promoted to Sgt., they don't give me any vehicle so I'm on my own.

As far as the restaurant thing goes, I always face the entry area and I am always cognizant of the locations of emergency exits. I'm don't think I'm paranoid, it's just common sense.

You need to train her better - I'm no LEO, but I still hate having my back to a doorway. Took me years, but now my wife doesn't even ask or say anything - when we're out at a restaurant, she automatically lets me have the seat facing the door. [smile]

Took me years, but now my wife doesn't even ask or say anything - when we're out at a restaurant, she automatically lets me have the seat facing the door. [smile]

Same here. I'm retired, but the habits still exist. My wife calls it "looking for predators" when we're out and I'm scanning. [wink]

I would have loved to take home a cruiser in the old days, but only the Chief and LT did that. [thinking]

No take home cruiser. Mixed feelings on taking one home if I had the chance. I wouldn't do it in my current situation (apartment building) but if I had a house I might consider it.

As far as dining out, everyone knows that I get the seat against the wall with the view of the door. And that I am indeed listening to your conversation even though it looks like I'm staring off into the distance around the room. I usually check the exits but admittedly (shamefully) I do not check my exits at hotels. I guess I just realized that turned a little "sheeple" when I stay there...but now that I know...I won't do it.

As far as dining out, everyone knows that I get the seat against the wall with the view of the door. And that I am indeed listening to your conversation even though it looks like I'm staring off into the distance around the room. I usually check the exits but admittedly (shamefully) I do not check my exits at hotels. I guess I just realized that turned a little "sheeple" when I stay there...but now that I know...I won't do it.

I'm always doing that and it drives people crazy. I'll be talking to someone and my eyes are scanning all around them. They DO think that I'm not listening, but I am.

I was always told that was an old police trick, but I don't know where I picked it up. Maybe it's an old paramedic trick too!

I'll drift a bit off topic if I must. A former co-worker of mine is now a trooper. We were talking a few months back and he told me he put in for an assignment as a detective. Since he's not been on that long, I was surprised. Apparently, they look for troopers who were paramedics or EMTs at one time. It seems that we tend to have good interviewing skills and can get people to open up when they might not want to. Something I never thought of, but it made sense when I thought about it a bit.

I guess there are a lot of similarities between the two jobs.

I'll have to show my wife this thread. It drives her up the wall. She is SLOWLY starting to accept the fact that I do not like to sit with people to my back. Its not just restaurants though. I was a couple of minutes late for a training class today and lo and behold I am stuck in the front of the room. I ended up sitting with my back to the side wall so the front of the classroom was on my left and the back on my right. Felt much better.

You need to train her better - I'm no LEO, but I still hate having my back to a doorway. Took me years, but now my wife doesn't even ask or say anything - when we're out at a restaurant, she automatically lets me have the seat facing the door. [smile]

[laugh2][rofl]
I am at a loss as to what to do, I am thinking that I ought to take one of the spray bottles we use for the cats to the next restaurant we go to. -SPRAY- NO! BAD! MY SEAT, MINE!

Well.. I decided to take the little lady out to eat.

Nothing fancy as I had to go to work afterwards all night. Went to the King Phillip in Phillipston. (Thursday = Prime Rib, you ought to go try it, I am really REALLY picky about where I go, the prices I pay and the service I get, they haven't failed me yet! If you are in the area that is.)

We go in, 5 people recognize me, yadda yadda, get to the booth and she goes to sit of course where I want to be sitting... [rolleyes]

The wedding is now off, I still can't feel the left side of my face and fear I may have lost the ability to see out of my left eye and have children. [crying]

Just kidding! She did go to sit facing the door, but I think it's because I always let her walk infront of me and hold doors for her, so when we follow the hostess she always ends up further away. She looked at me and I read the look properly and said, I'd like to sit there, you sit here.. and tugged her over to where I was standing. [smile]

I may have had a major breakthrough, she at least is checking with me to see if the seating is something I am comfortable with now, and she seems to not mind, I can live with that!

Back
Top Bottom