State Owned Range?

I have heard of a range in the Newbury area that is state owned and free as long as you send in an application and they mail you back a certificate so you can use it (possibly in a Wildlife Management Area). Does anyone know if this place exists and where to find information on it.

Last edited:
After a lot of searching I found some more info:

(j) Target Shooting. Target shooting or target practice on any WMA without the written permission of the MassWildlife Director or his agent. Permits are issued only for the target range at Martin Burns WMA. Contact Northeast Wildlife District. This restriction does not pertain to the use of firearms with blank cartridges for the purpose of dog training.

I've heard all you have to do is send them an application and you get a permit within a week or two. I was hoping someone on here had some firsthand insight though.

You must have a gun license and a Hunting license to get permission to use the range at Martin Burns. The range closes on October 3rd this year for hunting season.
GC

Rules and Regulations
1. Target shooting permitted only between April 28, 2008 and October 3, 2008.

2. Target shooting restricted to the Martin Burns Wildlife Management Area Target Range.

3. Targets may be only of paper or clay. Clean up after use of range.

4. It is understood by the permittee that the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife is released from all

liability for the loss, damage, or injury sustained in connection with target shooting.

5. Each target shooter shall abide by the Ten Commandments of Gun Safety.

6. Shooting hours are one-half hour after sunrise until one-half hour before sunset. NOTE: Sunday
hours are from noon until one-half hour before sunset.

7. Consult bulletin board at area entrance for notification of any changes regarding use of target
range. Range closed September 27, 2008.

8. Only those firearms legally used for hunting may be used.

9. Submit this permit for renewal next year. Include your 2009 Hunting or Sporting License Number.
Include a self-addressed, stamped business size envelope. Applications received without a S.A.S.E
will not be processed. Mail to: MassWildlife, 68 Harris St., Acton, MA 01720. Questions call (978) 263-4347

Back
Top Bottom