State of Maine Joins Federal Case on Gun Ownership

12/11/09

Maine Attorney General Janet T. Mills and three members of Maine’s congressional delegation have joined 37 other states in asking the U.S. Supreme Court to apply its decision issued last year in the Washington, D.C., gun ban case to every municipality and state in the nation.

The justices ruled 5-4 in June 2008 that Washington, D.C., could not ban residents from possessing firearms because the right to bear arms is a constitutional and individual right protected by the Second Amendment. That decision, however, applied only to the federal enclave, not to states and municipalities.

READ MORE

From Huffington post:

NRA Quietly Winning Battles For Looser Gun Laws

A nationwide review by The Associated Press found that over the last two years, 24 states, mostly in the South and West, have passed 47 new laws loosening gun restrictions.

Among other things, legislatures have allowed firearms to be carried in cars, made it illegal to ask job candidates whether they own a gun, and expanded agreements that make permits to carry handguns in one state valid in another.

The trend is attributed in large part to a push by the National Rifle Association. The NRA, which for years has blocked attempts in Washington to tighten firearms laws, has ramped up its efforts at the state level to chip away at gun

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/12/nra-quietly-winning-loose_n_389684.html

And NRA Quietly Winning Battles For Loser Gun Laws. [wink]

Interesting snips in the article:

"The NRA has a stranglehold on a lot of state legislatures," said Kristin Rand, legislative director of the Violence Policy Center, a gun control group in Washington. "They basically have convinced lawmakers they can cost them their seats, even though there's no real evidence to back that up."

Good. We need a stranglehold on our state legislatures and Congress. You start usurping our rights? We start kicking you out.

"People go in there and start drinking and then they want to start a fight. What are they going to do if they got a gun in their hand?" said Larry Speck, 69, who works at an auto repair shop in Memphis. "I've got a gun permit and I'm not carrying mine in there even if they have a law."

After becoming a motorcyclist and a licensed gun owner, I think I'm much less likely to start a fight. I have way too much to lose. I keep my nose clean, just like 99.9999% of all other licensed gun owners.

A Violence Policy Center project has mined news reports to find that more than 100 people have been killed by holders of handgun-carry permits since 2007, including nine law enforcement officers. The project originally intended to list all gun crimes by permit holders, but there were too many to keep track of, Rand said.

Ha. "Yeah, you see, we were going to get all the crimes that these permit holders were carrying, but uh, we ran out of hard disk space since there's just so many crimes these people are committing."

I can't see how anybody cantake these fear mongers seriously.

Back
Top Bottom