State House News: GOP REP. PUSHES 10-YEAR MINIMUM SENTENCE FOR FIRING ON A POLICE

GOP REP. PUSHES 10-YEAR MINIMUM SENTENCE FOR FIRING ON A POLICE OFFICER

A session after lawmakers overwhelmingly supported a bill toughening mandatory minimum sentence for certain sex abuse crimes against children, a GOP lawmaker is hoping for the same result on a bill to imprison for at least 10 years anyone who knowingly fires upon a police officer. Rep. Viriato deMacedo (R-Plymouth) intends to file the legislation Monday, citing an increase in violence on the South Shore, “where officers have found themselves as targets facing criminals who boldly brandish their guns,” according to a statement from deMacedo’s office. Some lawmakers have argued against mandatory minimums, saying they decrease the likelihood of guilty pleas and may actually enable criminals to successfully fight their cases and get back on the street. deMacedo has at least one law enforcement ally in Plymouth County District Attorney Tim Cruz, who said in a statement that a 10-year mandatory sentence is “[t]he least we can do” to protect police officers risking their lives.

http://www.statehousenews.com/

Rep. XXX,

This is exactly what’s wrong with our society and our Government “ruling class” today. In all honesty, what’s so special about a Police Officer as compared to an average citizen of the Commonwealth that we need to justify a 10 year sentence, but don’t for a gun brandished against an average person?

This is nearly unbelievable. When you elevate “Public Servants” (Peace Officers, Police Officers, or whatever) above that of the citizen this is why we have the behavior we have, the distrust, the apathy. Another example is the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police who have forgotten that they SERVE the public, not the other way around, when it comes to licensing and issuing firearm permits.

Please don’t let this viewpoint remain hidden. I hope you will find it within you to bring these comments to your colleagues in the House.

Maybe they're just worried that people might be of a mind to turn their guns on the government one day soon. This bill is a completely rational response to the current situation, if you ask me.

I can see the logic behind it.

1) some scumbag that is shooting at a cop is not going to have some soft judge be able to plead him out to some bs charge without jail time

2) if we were defending ourselves against some bad guy, we would not have the DA immediately charging us with the 10 year prison time.

Sounds right to me.

I can see the logic behind it.

1) some scumbag that is shooting at a cop is not going to have some soft judge be able to plead him out to some bs charge without jail time

2) if we were defending ourselves against some bad guy, we would not have the DA immediately charging us with the 10 year prison time.

Sounds right to me.

My point is that there's no difference between a Police Officer on Duty or Off and the average citizen. In fact, one could argue that the citizen should get this kind of penatly because the Police Officer is accepting this known job risk when he/she takes the job in the first place.

I'm in no way trying to diminsh the job they do, but I think if you rationalize it a bit more you'll see what I'm trying to say. Equal punishment under the law for everyone, for every crime, no mater who the victim is.

So if a police officer breaks the law and attacks you and you shoot at them not knowing they are a police officer is it still a mandatory 10 years?

I agree with it.

I also agree with the folks that think that it's unfair to have a 10-year minimum for firing on police but less for everyone else.

However, I can't see not supporting this because the bill does not raise the penalty for firing upon other citizens. There are a lot of penalties for crimes that I would sure like to see raised that you will not find in this bill. But what does that have to do with the price of oranges? It's a good idea to raise the penalty for shooting at police. It's a good idea to raise the penalty for shooting at anyone, really. Unless of course it is self defense. So what is wrong with supporting this bill, and either drafting up or supporting another bill that raises penalties for other crimes that you would like to raise the penalty for?

However, I can't see not supporting this because the bill does not raise the penalty for firing upon other citizens. There are a lot of penalties for crimes that I would sure like to see raised that you will not find in this bill. But what does that have to do with the price of oranges?

Some people believe that bending your principles is the same as breaking them, and that compromise of principles is the root of corruption and evil.

Unfortunately mandatory minimums are the only way to guarentee that a successful prosecution will net jailtime. Too often I've watched the best efforts of prosecutors to convict the truly worthless go to shit because of the bleeding heart of some foolish judge. The less say they have in some matters, the better.

Some people believe that bending your principles is the same as breaking them, and that compromise of principles is the root of corruption and evil.

If supporting stiffer penalties for criminals who shoot at police officers is bending your principles, I question your principles to begin with. I could see your argument if the bill lowered penalties for everyone else at the same time. But the bill was intended to address the problem that police face, which is that many criminals would rather put a cop six feet under than get caught, and if they're not afraid of the penalty for trying. Keep those guys in jail longer. The bill doesn't address penalties for people other then police officers. Because of that, some people won't support that. This confuses me, because these same people say they support stiffer penalties for people who shoot at every person. Well so do I.

So I'm going to support this one. Because police officers fall into the everyone category. If a bill comes out that supports raising the penalty for people who shoot chinese guys, I'm going to support that too, because they fall into the everyone category as well. And what I am going to do in the meantime, is write to my representatives letting them know that I support this bill and let them know that I also support raising the penalty for people who shoot at anyone, not just cops. And maybe if I or we raise enough awareness for that cause, we will see the penalty be raised. But while we're doing that, I say lets keep the shitbags who shoot at cops in jail a little longer. Because at the end of the day, I think were all a little better off having these thugs behind bars while we push our cause, than to have them on our street corners because of a matter of principle.

Whats so special about a cop?

Rep. XXX,

This is exactly what’s wrong with our society and our Government “ruling class” today. In all honesty, what’s so special about a Police Officer as compared to an average citizen of the Commonwealth that we need to justify a 10 year sentence, but don’t for a gun brandished against an average person?

This is nearly unbelievable. When you elevate “Public Servants” (Peace Officers, Police Officers, or whatever) above that of the citizen this is why we have the behavior we have, the distrust, the apathy. Another example is the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police who have forgotten that they SERVE the public, not the other way around, when it comes to licensing and issuing firearm permits.

Please don’t let this viewpoint remain hidden. I hope you will find it within you to bring these comments to your colleagues in the House.

OK let me try to explain it so even a moron can understand it.If the current trend of shooting,and shooting at cops continues,a lot of people will think twice about becoming a cop even though they make huge amounts of money,according to some.When police departments realize that they are unable to hold the line,Marshal Law will be called upon.At that point,the armed forces will patrol the nation.All personal freedom will be cast aside.Next you will see all hell break loose.Grow up and have a nice cup of Shut the Fu&K UP will ya?

So I'm going to support this one. Because police officers fall into the everyone category. If a bill comes out that supports raising the penalty for people who shoot chinese guys, I'm going to support that too, because they fall into the everyone category as well. And what I am going to do in the meantime, is write to my representatives letting them know that I support this bill and let them know that I also support raising the penalty for people who shoot at anyone, not just cops. And maybe if I or we raise enough awareness for that cause, we will see the penalty be raised. But while we're doing that, I say lets keep the shitbags who shoot at cops in jail a little longer. Because at the end of the day, I think were all a little better off having these thugs behind bars while we push our cause, than to have them on our street corners because of a matter of principle.

I have a few problems with this line of reasoning. I would not support a penalty for shooting Chinese guys, because it's a racist policy and it discriminates against, and undervalues the lives of blacks, jews, whites, and anyone else who's not Chinese. Why support a law that values the life of a Chinese person over someone else? Likewise, why make a law that values the life of a policeman over someone else? Why create a special class?

The practical problem that I have with your approach is that once the law is passed for policemen, who have a union and lobbyists, what makes you think they will ever get around to everyone else? Sure, they'll almost certainly get around to the law about shooting at legislators, and probably the one about shooting at firemen, maybe shooting at teachers too, but who is going to push the law for shooting at gas station, liquor store, and convenience store clerks? They probably get shot at as much as policemen.

Originally Posted by ronbok
Rep. XXX,

OK let me try to explain it so even a moron can understand it.If the current trend of shooting,and shooting at cops continues,a lot of people will think twice about becoming a cop even though they make huge amounts of money,according to some.When police departments realize that they are unable to hold the line,Marshal Law will be called upon.At that point,the armed forces will patrol the nation.All personal freedom will be cast aside.Next you will see all hell break loose.Grow up and have a nice cup of Shut the Fu&K UP will ya?

You are out of line there pbearperry. Let me put this so even a moron can understand it: It is wrong to make some of us more equal than others in the eyes of the law. The penalty for shooting someone should be independent of the status of the victim. Otherwise, we little people might just decide that paying the ruling class to lord over us is not worth it.

This is a foolish bill.

First of all miminum mandatory sentences do not work. They make a great soundbite but they do not work.

Second...I would expect a scumbag to want to shoot me. I am going to put them in jail. I have no problem with someone who wants to shoot me. I would expect it based upon the job I choose to do.

I would be more concerned with the person who would want to do harm to my family who are completely innocent.

Those who would target the average Joe for no legitimate reason are the cowards I would like to see punished more.

I have a few problems with this line of reasoning. I would not support a penalty for shooting Chinese guys, because it's a racist policy and it discriminates against, and undervalues the lives of blacks, jews, whites, and anyone else who's not Chinese. Why support a law that values the life of a Chinese person over someone else? Likewise, why make a law that values the life of a policeman over someone else? Why create a special class?

Because we have an opportunity to put people in jail who belong in jail, in a state where people who belong in jail all too often are not in jail and therefore we are more at risk for being a victim. And this law in particular is not about valuing one persons life over anothers. It is about stiffer penalties than what already exist for criminals who try to kill those who seek to bring them to justice for their crimes because the sentence for the attempt of killing an LEO is not enough to prevent them from doing so. Thats my opinion. Any time I get a chance to put attempted murderers in jail longer, I am going to do so. If it were up to me theyd be hanged.

Sure, they'll almost certainly get around to the law about shooting at legislators, and probably the one about shooting at firemen, maybe shooting at teachers too, but who is going to push the law for shooting at gas station, liquor store, and convenience store clerks? They probably get shot at as much as policemen.

No one if not us. But the good thing is, maybe if that thug who is going to shoot at his next victim, is instead sitting in jail for the crimes he already committed, that clerk or gas station attendant will not find himself being shot at.

Those who would target the average Joe for no legitimate reason are the cowards I would like to see punished more.

That brings up another good point that I disagree with.

Let us all suppose that this goes through and the time is raised to ten years. Then some of us who take Half Cocked's logic and run with it manage to get a bill written up that puts bad guys in jail for 15 years for shooting at a non LEO. Would so many of us be up in arms?

Let us all suppose that this goes through and the time is raised to ten years. Then some of us who take Half Cocked's logic and run with it manage to get a bill written up that puts bad guys in jail for 15 years for shooting at a non LEO. Would so many of us be up in arms?

Same issue. The class of the victim should not matter. The law is screwed up enough without creating a flowchart to figure out the penalty for shooting an innocent person. Do we really have a crime problem because we treat victims too equally? Or is it that we treat criminals like victims?

My point is, as a LEO, I do not need anyone punished more for attempting to shoot me.

Make it the same for everyone and enforce it.

Yes...imagine that! The police being held to a higher standard.

Funny how some people only want them held to a higher standard when they screw up.[thinking]

You had me with your earlier post, but tossed this in and screwed it all up.

The CONDUCT of police should be held to a higher standard: they are presumed to be the good guys, have power and authority denied to other citizens, and any corruption or abuse of power undermines the rule of law.

The PRIVILEGE AND STATUS of police should be held as closely as possible to that of the general citizenry, encouraging law that is fair to all (i.e., shooting a common citizen shouldn't be cheaper than shooting a LEO).

You need to chill out or take a vacation from NES.

The military has no problem maintaining it's numbers with guys making 1/5th of LEO pay in hostile countries where the people are actually trained on how to kill you. So your analogy is pretty weak at best.

You intend to murder anyone regardless of who they are it should be life in prison at the very least.

I would not favor supporting any bill that would indicate to a criminal that he's less likely to do less time in the hokey for shooting at me verses a cop. If that's not the case then we do not need a new law because last time I checked, cops were more able to defend themselves from a shooter than the average citizen who doesn't wear a vest to work.

What if the cop is at home and off duty? Does the law still apply?
Nope! Lets just enforce the laws for all of us equally.[grin]

Back
Top Bottom