• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Starting

Garys

NES Member
Any suggestions for starting to collect? Other than getting a C&R, which I have the paperwork for.

I've read the comments here about the M-N and SKS. Does anyone collect Lee-Enfields? Anyone own any Schmidt Rubins?

Gary

Garys said:
Any suggestions for starting to collect? Other than getting a C&R, which I have the paperwork for.

I've read the comments here about the M-N and SKS. Does anyone collect Lee-Enfields? Anyone own any Schmidt Rubins?

Gary

I don't have any of the rifles you have listed but you have to decide what you want to collect. What interests you?
I like semi-auto MBR's but I'd like to add a couple bolt guns. I wouldn't mind an Enfield to play with.
Jon

Of course there's a difference between what I'd like to collect and what I can afford to collect. <G> Actually I like bolt action rifles, so the SMLE, M-N, and Schmidt Rubin fit right in. They are also pretty inexpensive right now.

From there, who knows?

Gary

Garys said:
Of course there's a difference between what I'd like to collect and what I can afford to collect. <G> Actually I like bolt action rifles, so the SMLE, M-N, and Schmidt Rubin fit right in. They are also pretty inexpensive right now.

From there, who knows?

Gary
All good rifles. Ammo is kind of high for the K31 too. Don't forget German K98's, MAS 36.
I guess you can't beat 91/30's and M44's for the prices they're getting.

I don't collect Enfields but I do have one. A Nr4 Mk1. It's a very well made weapon, exceptionally accurate and 'feels' good on the shoulder. It has a very managable recoil and even my wife likes to shoot it and she shoots it very well. Around here ammo is not super expensive. The rifle is a very good buy for the money.

enf3.jpg

I agree with the #4Mk1 comments, but keep in mind what you will have
in the entire collection. I loved my enfield, until I realized that I spent my
precious range time with other guns, and it had become a safe queen.
The sights on it are OK, but at least they are peeps. I just can't get
really comfortable with the crappy v-notch sights on most mausers.
Of course, my SKS is hardly what I would call accurate, but it a fun
way to blast through a few boxes of cheap ammo.

Personally, I would stick with guns in 30-06, 308, 7.62x39 or 7.62x54.
These are easy to find in milsurp and hunting calibers, and are cheap
enough that you can have a good time without flinching at the cost.

Thanks for all of the replies. The problem seems to be that if the guns are cheap, the ammo isn't and vice versa. Except the Warsaw Pact stuff which seems to feature cheap guns and ammo. From what I've read in other places the M-N are pretty accurate, the SKS less so.

Then again, having a couple safe queens might be okay too, if the price is right.

Anyway, I think the first step is to apply for a C&R license.

Keep the comments coming, I have a lot to learn about this whole Mil Surp thing.

Gary

Once the walk-in vault in the basement is done, and a last piece of legislation on collecting finally made it through the govt., I'll be collecting "weapons of the German Armies from 1871 through the end of WWII". This would include captured arms in use, where a proof of use is available. Currently waiting for the legislation to change the "deadline" from "1918 manufacture" to "construction/introduction until Sept. 02, 1945" for first-time collectors. Once I have covered this (wide) range with at least one piece of the major arms used, I'm thinking to extend to "Mauser bolt action rifles".
I've accumulated some pieces on a different license already, but waaay to go.

Garys said:
Then again, having a couple safe queens might be okay too, if the price is right.
Gary

When you can pick up a WWII battle (Enfield) rifle for $100 or so, why not?!?!?!

Gary,

My first one (rifle that is [wink] ) was an SKS. Although there going up in prices of late, they're still pretty inexpensive compared to others. The ammo isn't all that hard to find either. Other than having to spend a little bit of time sighting it in, it's a sweet little shooter. FYI...

Weer'd Beard said:
Plus those big blade bayonettes make AG Reiley and Ted Kennedy sleep restless in thier beds!
Yarrrrr
-Weer'd Beard

Quite the conversation starter at the local rod and gun club! <G>

"What's that for?"

"In case I run out of ammo."

Gary

Garys said:
Weer'd Beard said:
Plus those big blade bayonettes make AG Reiley and Ted Kennedy sleep restless in thier beds!
Yarrrrr
-Weer'd Beard

Quite the conversation starter at the local rod and gun club! <G>

"What's that for?"

"In case I run out of ammo."

Or...

"What's that for?"

"It's my silencer."

[lol] [lol]

I suggest starting out with an M1 Garand or 1903/03A3 from CMP. Get them while they're still available and reasonably cheap. You won't fing a $400 Springfield anywhere's else.

After you get the C&R, then start with Russian weapons, or maybe an SMLE.

303 Ammo isn't cheap anymore, since it's hard to find Mil-Surp. But, soft-point hunting ammo for it can be had for about $13 a box.

7.62x54R is available from Century Arms, currently $29.87 for 440 rounds.

Not in Mass.

Don't be in a hurry for the C&R if you're in Ma. I've pondered it long and hard and don't think I want the gov't 'oversight' for the occasional savings I might get.

Lots of good milsurps are available without having to get the C&R.

Pilgrim said:

Not in Mass.

Don't be in a hurry for the C&R if you're in Ma. I've pondered it long and hard and don't think I want the gov't 'oversight' for the occasional savings I might get.

Lots of good milsurps are available without having to get the C&R.
True, but when you see rifles on the rack for $180 and you can mail order the same for $100....
There is something to be said for being able to fondle a firearm before you buy it though.

What do I have to do to qualify for a CMP rifle? I haven't shot a rifle, other than a .22 all that much. I thought you had to be relatively proficient to qualify under the CMP.

Gary

Garys said:
What do I have to do to qualify for a CMP rifle? I haven't shot a rifle, other than a .22 all that much. I thought you had to be relatively proficient to qualify under the CMP.

Gary
Not at all, even cops can qualify. I'm living proof [shock]
Seriously, go their website http://www.odcmp.com/ It's the best source of info, straight from the horse's mouth. You'll spend at least and hour or more if you go to the forums too.
After reading all that, come back with your questions and we'll all help you.

Garys said:

Gary

Gary,

All you need to do is attend a CMP sponsored High Power Clinic. You will get a certificate of attendance and then you will be allowed to purchase from the CMP.

Garys said:

Gary

Are you ex-military? Your DD-214, or proof you were in a reserve component works.

Also check out this thread as well. http://northeastshooters.com/viewtopic.php?t=2575

From CMP's website:

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.

Current or past law enforcement service

Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).

Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).

Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.

Concealed Carry License.

Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.

FFL or C&R license.

Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.

Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.

NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Back
Top Bottom