Starting to reload 9mm

Never thought I'd see the day when I would save $3+ a box by reloading 9mm. Just bought a set of dies and some other miscellaneous junk. I'm glad I didn't give away all that 9mm brass that I've collected from the past year.

You will have the reloading bug as soon as you start cranking em out.
Enjoy be safe and good luck.

You will have the reloading bug as soon as you start cranking em out.
Enjoy be safe and good luck.

Yea, I have already got the reloading bug. I've been loading .44mag, .38spl, .357mag, and .223 for about a year . I'm loading on a Lee turret press now, but am thinking of upgrading to something a bit faster so I can crank'em out.

You should be saving much more than $3 a box by reloading 9mm. Especially if you already have the brass.

-Cuz.

Even with good FMJ bullets, my reload cost is under $6 / 50 rounds. . that's easily a savings of $3-5 a box depending on which brand you compare it to.

-Mike

I have the brass already, I was comparing it to $9/ 50 Blazer. Basing it on current prices for components and FMJ / plated bullets. THe dies I ordered from cabelas are backordered till the end of the month so now I got to sit and wait before I can start loading.

Splattered bullets are not the problem. It is the primer. The only way lead is injested is through inhalation or injestion. Don't eat or drink at the range until you wash your hands.

Maybe, but lead bullets smoke the crap out of the range, whether it is the lube, lead, whatever, they are still more unpleasant to be around indoors than jacketed.

Maybe, but lead bullets smoke the crap out of the range, whether it is the lube, lead, whatever, they are still more unpleasant to be around indoors than jacketed.

If lead bullets are "smoking the crap" out of your range, you need a better ventilation system. I have been shooting lead indoors for years with no problems.

Splattered bullets are not the problem. It is the primer. The only way lead is injested is through inhalation or injestion. Don't eat or drink at the range until you wash your hands.

Then why do unjacketed lead bullets leave a nice big cloud of smoke after being fired? You can't tell me that's just the lube burning up.

Sorry, but lead bullets are dirtier, there's no real getting around it. The only ones that aren't, are the (poly?) coated ones that you find once in awhile.

-Mike

Although I reload for everything else I just started doing 9mm. I just did not think it was worth it till ammo prices reached the level they're at now. Fortunately I had been saving spent brass. I use lead bullets but agree its dirtier that jacketed when I have to shoot indoors.

Back
Top Bottom