Starting my Tech class

Don't bother absorbing, just memorize the answers for 6-7 hours and take the test. In Gloucester we did a study all day and just memorize that highlighted answers. I think everyone in the class passed the tech license.

Don't bother absorbing, just memorize the answers for 6-7 hours and take the test. In Gloucester we did a study all day and just memorize that highlighted answers. I think everyone in the class passed the tech license.
+1
Learn enough of the rules to stay out of trouble but don't worry about the theory for now. Just memorize the correct answers. If you stick with amateur radio the theory will come on its own. For now, focus on getting your ticket and getting on the air. Join a club or find an Elmer if you can.

My 2 cents. If you're taking a class that meets once a week for 10 weeks(or something like that) you have time to study the theory and the law and to absorb it all. If you're doing a cram type class for like one day you probably want to focus on the questions and knowing the correct answers.
IMHO if you do it the longer way you'll know more when you get your license. But.... if you do it the short way and jump right in you'll learn on the fly.

ETA You don't want to be the first guy to kill his neighbor's dog because you activate the electric fence every time you transmit. [rofl]

Last edited:
They told us that at the end of the tech class you can try to take the General test with no extra charge.How realistic is it to pass the general if you didnt study for it? Just wondering.I may try it just for the heck of it.

They told us that at the end of the tech class you can try to take the General test with no extra charge.How realistic is it to pass the general if you didnt study for it? Just wondering.I may try it just for the heck of it.
The week before, spend 2-4 hours doing the online practice tests for the General at QRZ.com. You'll have a good chance of passing. My 11 year old did a tech-in-a-day and passed the tech and got about 50% of the General correct and he didn't study for the general at all. He did the practice tests for 2 weeks the took and passe the general. Of course, at that age his rememberer works much better than most of ours.

Using a program like hamtestonline.com. You'll probably need about 12 hours of study for nearly certain success on the general exam.
I studied both tech and general and did both of those tests on the same day. The VEs convinced me to try the extra that same day because it was free and because it would be a good practice run. I got slightly better than 50 percent.
I probably spent about 20 hours of study on the extra material before I tested again and I made it no problem.

Back
Top Bottom