Starting an IDPA Chapter (Team?) in the Boston-area

So a couple of friends and I were talking about IDPA shooting the other day, and we were wondering if anyone else would be interested in becoming involved in an IDPA chapter in the Boston area...I've been getting my IDPA fill by shooting with the Metrowest Tactical guys out at the Harvard Sportsmen's Club, and while they're all great guys (and I really can't say enough good stuff about them), it's a pain getting out there just because it takes an hour each way. We were thinking that if we had a more local group, that would be nice and convenient (Something ~15-30 min from Boston instead of an hour)

This is obviously in the super early planning/discussion stages, but I figured I'd at least let dangle the idea and see if anyone else was interested

I would love to see something on the north shore. I'm interested in IDPA but havn't been able to get out to Harvard or new Bedford.

I would be interested in this. I'm still new to this all, but I think it would be a great thing to be involved in and a great way to learn. count me in! I'm out of Malden, and Shoot out of Woburn.

Yeah, the "Where?" is the big question. I've done a bunch of shooting at Braintree R&P and some at Mass Rifle (Both of which could work as facilities) but I'm not a member of either and I'm not sure if either would be interested in having a chapter. One of the awesome things about Harvard is that it's an open range for the IDPA practices, so you can go to an IDPA practice with the MWT guys without being a Harvard club member, so if the club would be willing to do that, it would be nice

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, at the suggestion of another forum member, I'm going to contact the IDPA area coordinator to ask him if he has any suggestions/etc.

I'd also be very interested. I've never shot IDPA, but would love to get starte.d I'm a member of Mass Rifle in Woburn, but I'm not convinced their facilities would be the best for IDPA. But I'd be happy to bring up the idea to the club and see what their thoughts are.

Anything in the metro-north area would be ideal for me... Woburn / Tewksbury / Lowell / Haverhill, etc. Keep me posted, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

suggestion, find a member of the Brainbtree club, (possibly here) and

have them ask the question, or introduce you to whoever can answer your

questions

That's a good idea. I'll definitely ask around. My friend's dad is a member (though not a particularly active one) but maybe he can make some calls for me

I don't think Mass Rifle would work. You've only got 1 range to shoot on and with 50-80 guys it could take forever to run through a stage.

Good luck finding a range. If you do I'd certainly help out if I have the time.

What clubs does everyone belong to? Any of them seem like potential candidates? Or does anyone have any suggestions about other clubs to look at (other than Mass Rifle, which may not be ideal and Braintree R&P)?

This.

Until and unless you can find a range with action shooting pits, you are basically stuck, and I'm unaware of one within 128.

In addition to this you also need club leadership that is open to public action shooting. In order to be an affiliated club your IDPA events need to be open to all IDPA members not must members of the club.

Nobody's thrown in Worcester Pistol & Rifle Club in Boylston yet. I've So'd there a few times, and it's a big IDPA crowd at the matches. I know it's not North Shore, but it's a lot closer to most of you than it is me. I'm an hour and a half away. Great people, challenging CoFs.

Back
Top Bottom