Stamped 80% AK47 receivers

From what I have read, a drill press and a dremel is all that is needed to complete a stamped 80% AK-47 receiver. Although I am an AR guy and really don't like AK's, I need to suck it up and just go with what works for me. So the money which I would have spent on a drill mill can now be used for the AK47 upper receiver BUT I am not 100% if I can purchase the upper by itself now b/c of the CT ban. I know that upper receivers can be shipped directly to me with no FFL needed but I will be looking for one at the gun show I am going to on the 2nd of June.

Besides that anyone have any advice and possible CT legal info about it? Because the AK is considered an "Assault weapon" would building an AK like this be illegal?? What cost am I looking at for a complete build + a few 10rnd mags. Also, I don't know much about AK variants. I would like an upper with a top rail for an optic like an AR upper.
Should I go with one chambered in .223/ 5.56 or 7.62? This will be a SHTF WROL weapon so consider that when thinking about the caliber.

Thanks,
Dave

You still have to spot weld the rails and heat treat the receiver.

This.

Go with a 7.62. A lot more common and much cheaper, especially as far as mags go. Besides, if your an AR guy, you've already got 5.56 covered.

If you don't already have the equipment to weld and properly heat-treat, it is much cheaper to just buy a 100% receiver from Nodak or Ohio Ordinance Works. OOW receivers are like $61. An 80% receiver, plus rails, is probably close to $40.

There is the satisfaction of doing it yourself, and the aspect of having it completely off the books, if that is what you are looking for. I'm not familiar with the CT process for 'registering' a build like we have here in MA.

I am also pretty sure that your new CT law specifically forbids anything that even looks like an AK.

Good luck if you decide to move forward with it. You really need to get over your dislike for AKs [smile].

So the money which I would have spent on a drill mill can now be used for the AK47 upper receiver BUT I am not 100% if I can purchase the upper by itself now b/c of the CT ban. I know that upper receivers can be shipped directly to me with no FFL needed but I will be looking for one at the gun show I am going to on the 2nd of June.

... I would like an upper with a top rail for an optic like an AR upper.

You really are an AR guy, aren't you? There is no upper receiver on an AK.

They are really easy to do. My first one I used an ace template but now I have the ak-builder jig. If your going to do 80% Ak's it's the way to go all you need is a drill press and a welder, I plug weld my rails in. Unlike flats which need a jig. Unless you get a populated kit you will need a shop press. As far as the heat treating mine are spot treated at the fcg pin holes, center support holes and trunnion holes. I have about 2000 rounds through my 74 and except for the cheap center support that bent causing feeding issues I haven't had any problems. Upgraded to an ak builder support since then. That was at around 300 rounds so since then no ftf's.

RyanSD on AKfiles forum has a nice bending jig for around $80. CNC AK47 Flat Bending Jig Kits - The AK Files Forums AK-Builder's is extremely nice and stout but twice the price. Full heat treat is not much harder than spot heat treating. Use a weed burner from HF for $20. Draw the temper in your household oven. Try hardening your center support so it won't bend. You could go the Polish prebent but still have to weld the rails. Childers guns has them already hardened. Childers Guns LLC He can also populate the barrel too.

Under CT's old assault weapons ban, 7.62x39 AKs weren't allowed. I don't think this has changed with all the new regulations. (5.56mm and 5.45mm were OK, but not 7.62x39.)

I would take a good look at CT's new regulations before even contemplating a build. AFAIK, the regulations on rifles not grandfathered prior to last April are pretty strict, so you really won't be able to build an AK that looks like an AK anymore. Detachable magazine plus one evil feature = no go.

Paul

RyanSD on AKfiles forum has a nice bending jig for around $80. CNC AK47 Flat Bending Jig Kits - The AK Files Forums AK-Builder's is extremely nice and stout but twice the price. Full heat treat is not much harder than spot heat treating. Use a weed burner from HF for $20. Draw the temper in your household oven. Try hardening your center support so it won't bend. You could go the Polish prebent but still have to weld the rails. Childers guns has them already hardened. Childers Guns LLC He can also populate the barrel too.

FYI, Childers is about 3 and a half months out on populating front ends. I sent them my M92 bits on April 1st, and received the finished product last week.

Restorit (Pat) is accepting work again. Please show some pics of your m92.[grin]

It looks f'ing nice. Just like the Tula Krink he did for me.

I can vouch for Pat, too. Although he did tag the other side of my bore when he drilled my gas port hole... slight scratching, but it's still there, and it still pisses me off.

Everything else he's done for me has been timely, cheap, and good, though.

Restorit (Pat) is accepting work again. Please show some pics of your m92.[grin]

I have not actually seen it in person yet, I am still away on business. The girlfriend snapped this picture and sent it me. I am very excited to molest it.

Not quite yet an AK, but I have a feeling that after a few beers and some weird-ness, it will be all pew pew pew in no time.

20130719_194514_zps7f8a3004.jpg

Flintoid, I hate it when that happens sorry to hear that. It gives me that sinking feeling. It's bad enough when you do it yourself but when you are paying someone... Pat does have a very good reputation. I don't think I could do work for people because it is inevitable you will make a mistake on someones stuff.

You're welcome. The Ace template was done by myself and my EX gunco partner. I also did the Beta testing on the ak-builder jig prototype and helped with the refinements.
Well then thank you for both. The weird thing is although it took longer to set up I think the holes lined up better on the one I used the template on.

Flintoid, I hate it when that happens sorry to hear that. It gives me that sinking feeling. It's bad enough when you do it yourself but when you are paying someone... Pat does have a very good reputation. I don't think I could do work for people because it is inevitable you will make a mistake on someones stuff.

it's why I'm hardly upset about it with him. I know I'd have had a 50% chance of doing it myself.

Back
Top Bottom