Stainless Media Wet Tumbler

So after debating the purchase of the stainless steel media kit with a Thumlers Model B, I decided to build my own. I got some good ideas watching youtube, and went out and picked up parts to start the build. I have just started the build, so I will update with pictures when it is in working condition.

The cost (so far) is around 150 dollars, with the majority of that figure being the stainless media itself. I dont think I will need anymore parts that I dont have laying around the house. I picked up a treadmill on craigslist that needed a new walking belt. I figured the 2.75 HP self cooled continuous duty motor would be more than sufficient. I will be harnessing the motor, drive shaft with pulley, and idler roller shaft as the power source for my tumbler. The rest of the treadmill is getting tossed. I also picked up 2, 18 inch long sections of 8inch pvc pipe with end caps from my local plumbers scrap pile for 10 bucks. I have a dimmer switch to control the RPMs of the motor, and a Timer that will be hardwired into the motor with 1,2, and 4 hour settings. I put together the tumbler barrels tonight, and they very comfortably hold 3 gallons of water each. By my calculations, that is 3 times the capacity of the Thumlers model, and I should be able to clean about 900 pieces of brass (9mm) in each barrel. The barrel filled and ready for tumbling should weigh about 43 lbs, significantly less that what a treadmill motor is used to handling..........

Has anyone else constructed one of these things? So far, all the building has matched my "In theory" calculations, but I am a little ways from done. I know cleaning close to a thousand pieces at a time might seem like overkill, but why not go big? That and, I can have the satisfaction of building my own.

there are a couple of guys here who built their wet SS tumblers, and photos float somewhere. It's on my list to do, results are spectacular.

2.75 motor is a royal overkill. Save it though, they are usually DC and could be used as generators, and are worth $$$ to hippies who are into windpower. I don't know the size of your tumbler, but you should not need more than 1HP IMHO. I've built a good size ball mill (same concept) that ran on sewing machine motor, so gearing and balancing is critical.

So, the tumbler is functioning very well. I scrapped the PVC pipe, and decided to use a 5 gallon water cooler jug instead. The side carrying handle seems to act as a very good agitator. I couldnt believe the results of the brass. I was able to clean 11 pounds (roughly 1,100 cases) of 40 cal at once. I used about 4 gallons of water, 15 lbs of stainless media, some lemishine and dawn detergent. These were outside range pickups, and most had some sort of green krud on them before.

photo1.jpg photo2.jpg 2 hours at a 30 RPM pace, and here are the results.

Last edited:
That is awesome. I have been debating on going ultra sonic or SS media. I would like to build my own if going SS as the thumlers is way to small for my needs

So, the tumbler is functioning very well. I scrapped the PVC pipe, and decided to use a 5 gallon water cooler jug instead. The side carrying handle seems to act as a very good agitator. I couldnt believe the results of the brass. I was able to clean 11 pounds (roughly 1,100 cases) of 40 cal at once. I used about 4 gallons of water, 15 lbs of stainless media, some lemishine and dawn detergent. These were outside range pickups, and most had some sort of green krud on them before.

How is loading and unloading the water cooler jug? I'd think having such a small opening would be a PITA to load and unload.

How long is your drying time? I see you didn't decap the brass. Most people seem to decap for wet tumbling. I'm not sure if it's more to clean the primer pockets or to reduce drying time.

Loading the jug i use a modified funnel so i dont spill any brass or media. Unloading the jug isn't too bad, I use a spaghetti strainer over the top of a 5 gallon jug, then dump the contents of that into a media separator. Put the casings spread out onto a beach towel in the garage and as of right now (12 hours) they seem dry, but I still will wait a day or so before deeming them dry enough for loading. I didnt decap before tumbling because the brass was pretty shitty before, and didn't want to run brass that kruddy through my sizing or decap ping die.

Ok, I was avoiding pictures for fear of ridicule on my hillbilly backyard creation.......lol. But since it cleans brass awesome, and is still a rough draft, here is a video of it. Just set it for 1mph (equivalent of 40 rpm) and at 3 miles on the display screen, you have 1100 cases of super clean brass.....I haven't decided if I wanna cut up the treadmill and do what I originally planned, or keep it the way it is and still have a functional treadmill I can use for its intended purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpk7CAkIfVo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
Haha, thanks guys. The only downside is the expense of stainless media. I suppose corncob, walnut, or maybe even non abrasive ceramic media would work as well.

Ok, I was avoiding pictures for fear of ridicule on my hillbilly backyard creation.......lol. But since it cleans brass awesome, and is still a rough draft, here is a video of it. Just set it for 1mph (equivalent of 40 rpm) and at 3 miles on the display screen, you have 1100 cases of super clean brass.....I haven't decided if I wanna cut up the treadmill and do what I originally planned, or keep it the way it is and still have a functional treadmill I can use for its intended purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpk7CAkIfVo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Damn that is cool! Simple and effective! Nice job! [thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom