Staining a Garand Stock Set (Dupage Fitted/ Unfinished)

https://www.dupagetrading.com/m1-stocks/m1-stock-sets.html

Dupage makes stock sets for the CMP. You can buy them with or without metal. They are a nice stock set straight out of the box, and they come pre-finished if that's what you want––but you can also order an unfinished set and put a bit more love, sweat, and workmanship into it.

I spent a quality day in the shop working on some of them.

RefinishDupageStockButtplate.jpg

Tigerstripe.jpg

BarrelStubIsUseful.jpg

EnhancingNaturalVariations9.jpg

Everybody has their own way of going about going about the job of finishing an unfinished stock, but my personal preference is to sand the wood well to close the grain, working progressively finer grits––I go 100/150/220/320/400/600) and then I like to apply a coat or two of Minwax Red Mahogany Stain.

PromisingGrainStructures.jpg

There is no real trick to staining––you just get the wood good and wet, let it penetrate for awhile (5 -15 minutes) then wipe off the excess––whatever has not penetrated should be buffed off with cheesecloth, an old t-shirt, or paper towels.

Looking at the Minwax color chart you wouldn't think Red Mahogany would work out too well––but it sure does. It just pops a bit more than a standard run-of-the-mill dark walnut.

RedMahoganyStainChart2.jpg

RedMahoganyStainChartB.jpg

Jackpot3.jpg

I think the key to a nice stain job (and where most guys go wrong) is that they leave too much stain on the surface. That isn't where you want the stain––you want the stain deep in the grain––but buff it off the very surface of the wood, so that the stain doesn't just create a monotonous uniformity.

RedMahoganyCloseupMagentaHue.jpg

Jackpot.jpg

Winning2.jpg

The stain renders deep browns and reds and (with Red Mahogany) a faint reddish-purple undertone––but buffing off the excess will bring forth the lighter tones––the flecks of yellow in the grain.

WhoIsYourDaddy.jpg

Winning.jpg

I'll finish with 3 or 5 coats of Tung oil on the outside, and maybe a couple coats of varnish in the barrel channel, under the butt-plate, and under the front ferrule.

Last thoughts––replacement wood isn't just about aesthetics. If you are interested in accurizing your Garand, a replacement stock set is a real good place to begin––especially if you have a loose original GI stock with mediocre lock-up.

I'd say the Garand stock probably makes the biggest contribution to accuracy of all the various elements of the equation––a rifle with a Kreiger barrel will shoot like a rack grade if it is in a bad or a poorly fitted stock.

If you want to pick up a new unfinished stock set and try your hand at custom finishing but want more info, I'd be happy to post my own personal preferences, tricks, and observations (assuming anybody is interested).

––Warm_Garand

Last edited:
Are you planning on cutting the tung oil with any stain for the first coat? I've found that if I don't add a little stain to the first coat of oil that the wood starts to lighten up a bit. Once the first coat dries, then I use straight tung oil.

Those stocks look great btw, thanks for posting this.

If you want to pick up a new unfinished stock set and try your hand at custom finishing but want more info, I'd be happy to post my own personal preferences, tricks, and observations (assuming anybody is interested).

Great pics! Thanks for posting. Please do post more of your exp.. They always seem to be very high quality.

B

Last edited:
Are you planning on cutting the tung oil with any stain for the first coat? I've found that if I don't add a little stain to the first coat of oil that the wood starts to lighten up a bit. Once the first coat dries, then I use straight tung oil.

SKS--

I haven't tried adding stain to the Tung oil--but I guess there are plenty of ways to skin a cat.

The main thing to avoid (I'd say) is a heavy buildup of stain OVER the natural yellow/gold highlights of the wood--muddying them down and making the wood look "artificially colored". The eye enjoys seeing both the deeper tones AND the highlights. It depends on the type of wood, of course--some woods like Birch have few highlights and accept stain very reluctantly, and it is hard to get good, dense color penetration. It's possible that maybe the lightening you are seeing when you add Tung oil is the removal of stain which has not achieved penetration. Have you tried opening the grain of wood like that with hot water? It gives the stain open pores to hide in, which adds to overall color density, but you can still buff the surface down to show off the highlights--worked good for me on a Beech stock (MAS 49/56) I did a little while back. Just take a damp (damp not wet) facecloth with piping hot water and swipe it evenly over the bare wood--not enough to raise the grain, just enough to open the pores. Set it aside to dry, then stain. It seems counter-intuitive (after all the sanding) to open the grain again, but it's worth a shot on a bland-looking stock.

Bpm990d--

Thanks for the feedback. I'll update the thread with more content as questions arise and as the finishing job progresses.

--Warm_Garand

Last edited:
I never liked my beat up stock. Looks like another project heading my way. Great thread, thanks for posting.

Anyone put a Dupage laminated stock on their rifle?

So Im quessing you feel no need for a grain sealer/filler ? I did a few stocks for my shotguns and with out the filler/sealer there where a lot of "holes" in the grain. I dont know how else to describe it. These stocks where standard walnut fron wenigs custom stocks. For all purposes they came out well. Rather bland in the wood graining but thats what you "do/dont" pay for. They where inletted perfectly for the action though.
Hows the dupage fit for the garands. I may do at least my best shooter with some new wood.

So Im quessing you feel no need for a grain sealer/filler ? I did a few stocks for my shotguns and with out the filler/sealer there where a lot of "holes" in the grain. I dont know how else to describe it. These stocks where standard walnut fron wenigs custom stocks. For all purposes they came out well. Rather bland in the wood graining but thats what you "do/dont" pay for. They where inletted perfectly for the action though.
Hows the dupage fit for the garands. I may do at least my best shooter with some new wood.

mac1911--

I've never used any kind of filler when staining or finishing wood before--is there any particular product you have in mind?

As for the Dupage fit--these are my first sets. My intention for the stocks was to work up match rifles, so I sent them off to Dean at Dean's Gun Restoration. He has a real fine reputation for doing match fitting.

I'd say straight out of the box the Dupage stock would be comparable to a new USGI stock--as far as no-modification match accuracy, call it a B to a B+, or maybe even get lucky enough to score an A-. The improvement in lock-up alone is enough reason to buy the stock. They used to have to close trigger guards with a wooden mallet--that is how tight lockup was in the USGI stocks originally.

What Dean does in match fitting is mostly just ensure proper clearances for the barrel and operating rod, and ensures there is room in the hand-guards to accommodate heat expansion during prolonged firing. He mills the stock just in front of the U of the receiver heel to just in back of the receiver legs. Match Armorers like to see a thin bar of daylight between the receiver and the stock in this particular area. The setback for the front ferrule area is important as well--there should be clearance between the ferrule face and the flat of the lower band, to make sure that the front ferrule does not absorb any recoil, and that recoil is transferred back to the receiver and the legs of the receiver.

I've been thinking about doing a thread about "Accurizing the M1 Garand". When I'm assembling these stocks I'll post pics of the most desirable areas for clearancing, and show Dean's preferred tolerances.

Anyhow--thanks for posting.

--Warm_Garand

Last edited:
Warm Garand,
Im about ready to replace my straight S atock on my 03a3 with the new CMP/Dupage C stock offerings which are suposed to be improved over the last few offerings.....
anyhows
My last few stocks I did on my shotguns where from Wenigs who I think is where Dean gets his stocks ? The stocks where the standard walnut which had small "holes" in the grain. I used a product call por-O-pac Paste wood grain filler to get a nice flat finish. With out it I got a orange peel effect as the clear coat would sink into these "holes"
I use these shot guns out doors so I did a poly type clear coat on them. Maybe this is not a issue for the oil based type finishes such as tung oil ect ect.

I may do one of my Garands after the 1903a3 is done....right now with the straight style stock thats on it is no fun to shoot. I cant get my eye behind the peep sight with out putting my chin on the comb

Mac--

Sorry to leave you dangling--I haven't been around the site in awhile.

I see what you are saying--walnut grain has those fine swirling indentations. I'm coating with Tung for waterproof--past 3 coats Tung starts to build to a high gloss which just doesn't look right (my opinion) on a military rifle. I'll dress down the gloss with steel wool (I guess), then fill the "pores" with "Gunny Paste"--1/3 Turpentine/1/3 BLO or Tung/ and 1/3 beeswax heated/mixed.

Someone sells a commercial approximation as "Tom's 1/3rd Mix" or some such. Supposedly renders a nice flat military finish. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Inre: Dean's source for stocks--yes, he does get stocks from both Wenig and Dupage. I think Dupage might hand select and match stocks for Dean, for a $ premium--but don't quote me on that. Give him (Dean) a call if you want to run ideas past him--sometimes he's too busy to talk, and sometimes he's not.

Anyhow.

Thanks for posting.

--Warm_Garand

I'll dress down the gloss with steel wool (I guess), then fill the "pores" with "Gunny Paste"--1/3 Turpentine/1/3 BLO or Tung/ and 1/3 beeswax heated/mixed.

Someone sells a commercial approximation as "Tom's 1/3rd Mix" or some such. Supposedly renders a nice flat military finish. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Its easy to make and does leave a nice finish. I've got a sticky on it from 2006 in this forum.

I plan on useing tung oil for my new 03a3 stock also.....a little shine isnt to bad for me as the rifle was blued at some point. Do you use any special sealer on the end grain and wood under the reciever ?

SKSRay--

Thanks for the head's-up, I had meant to read that stickey.

Mac1911--For an all-weather match rifles some guys put a coat or two if marine varnish inside the barrel-channel and stock inletting, under the buttplate, and under the front ferrule to inhibit the absorption of moisture (and avoid changes in POI due to stock swelling).

It's totally overkill for me to even be considering it--but of course I AM considering it (LOL).

--Warm_Garand

Back
Top Bottom