• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Squid question *eek*

I live in MA. I know that I am only allowed to purchase specific pistols new but I see other people with brands that I assumed you were not allowed to own in MA.

A few weeks back I was corrected a bit more than gently and advised to read up on the what I am allowed to purchase vs not. Is there some kind of rule where I can buy a used 1911 by a brand that isnt allowed to be purchased new or even buy that brand new out of state and have it sent to MA?

Just wondering.....when the time comes (and if ever) when the taget and hunting restriction is lifted off my Class A LTC I think I would like to add another 1911 to my collection; maybe something a little shorter/lighter if I find the full sized 1911 a tad much to carry.

Is there some kind of rule where I can buy a used 1911 by a brand that isnt allowed to be purchased new or even buy that brand new out of state and have it sent to MA?

Federal law states you may only buy a handgun in your state of residence. Federally licensed dealers (from whom you may buy "new" firearms) may only sell firearms that are approved by Executive Office of Public Safety & Security.

See: http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/Approved Firearms Roster 04-2009.pdf)

Also, such dealers may only sell firearms that have "passed" the AG's consumer protection regulations, and there is no "official" list for these. Manufacturers must certify that they have complied with these regs, and then the AG may state otherwise; it's a very strange setup.

You may purchase a firearm via a private sale without complying with the above restrictions, and that is how you may have seen otherwise "banned" firearms.

why wait till the restriction is lifted? The way those guns got into MA was the following
a) person who owner the firearm moved from a free state into MA
b) gun was here pre-list
c) some other way i can't think of.

I would likely pick one up now if I came across it.

I saw some really nice Colt and Springfield 1911's that were not full sized that I like alot. Don't get me wrong S&W has some really nice non full sized 1911 options as well.

I live in MA. I know that I am only allowed to purchase specific pistols new but I see other people with brands that I assumed you were not allowed to own in MA. A few weeks back I was corrected a bit more than gently and advised to read up on the what I am allowed to purchase vs not. Is there some kind of rule where I can buy a used 1911 by a brand that isnt allowed to be purchased new or even buy that brand new out of state and have it sent to MA? Just wondering.....when the time comes (and if ever) when the taget and hunting restriction is lifted off my Class A LTC I think I would like to add another 1911 to my collection; maybe something a little shorter/lighter if I find the full sized 1911 a tad much to carry.

Shorter and lighter 1911:

S&W Compact 1911ES. Single action .45ACP has a 4 1/4" barrel. Lightweight scandium alloy frame, stainless steel slide. Nice but not cheap.

Expect to pay about a grand for it, IF you can get it!

The S&W 1911 was less than that but what the heck, if I'm only a few hundred off and if I am that happy with the pistol then I'll buy it.

One thing I have noticed is some 1911's are not as long but they are just as tall. Springfield's site gives the height and lenght of their models which gives me a good idea of the pistol's size.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=86955&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15709&isFirearm=Y

Is what I was looking at; the "Model SW1911 Compact ES", the same thing you just told me about. It seems lighter, just a tad shorter in lenght and height; exactly what I would be looking for. I just wish it came in a solid color like stainless steel. The two tone is a bit too fancy looking for my taste.....yea I'm picky but for 1,000.00 I'd like to think I got exactly what I wanted.

Federal law states you may only buy a handgun in your state of residence. Federally licensed dealers (from whom you may buy "new" firearms) may only sell firearms that are approved by Executive Office of Public Safety & Security.

See: http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/Approved Firearms Roster 04-2009.pdf)

Also, such dealers may only sell firearms that have "passed" the AG's consumer protection regulations, and there is no "official" list for these. Manufacturers must certify that they have complied with these regs, and then the AG may state otherwise; it's a very strange setup.

You may purchase a firearm via a private sale without complying with the above restrictions, and that is how you may have seen otherwise "banned" firearms.

PROVIDED the gun isn't covered under the MA AWB ban. If the gun was made after the inception of the 1994 Federal AWB AND meets the definition of an 'Assault Weapon' it's illegal to own in MA. Period.

That's a simplification. I urrge you to read the detailed information in the thread I cited above.

PROVIDED the gun isn't covered under the MA AWB ban. If the gun was made after the inception of the 1994 Federal AWB AND meets the definition of an 'Assault Weapon' it's illegal to own in MA. Period.

That was more of my concern, thanks. I am reading the stickies now, good info.

Question about the "Model SW1911 Compact ES"

Is the rear site adjustable or is it fixed?

They call the sights on the gun "carry sights". Is the adjustable sight on my pistol not suitable for carry for one reason or another?

If I bought the Compact ES, could I purchase the adjustable sights I have on my 1911 and have them installed on the Compact ES?

Looks like I am getting a little off track here but I like the 1911....alot! Well minus the two tone.

I would likely pick one up now if I came across it.

I saw some really nice Colt and Springfield 1911's that were not full sized that I like alot. Don't get me wrong S&W has some really nice non full sized 1911 options as well.

Good luck with that. The AG's office, supreme leader of all things stupid about gun laws in this Communist state, will not "allow" you to to exercise your Constitutional rights to own either a new Colt or Springfield.

In fact, Springfield has told the state of Assachusetts to go screw themselves as they refuse to wade their way through the deliberately murky and conflicting laws regarding the sale and ownership of firearms, and therefor, refuse to sell their firearms in the state in which they manufacture them!

Don't blame Springfield, blame the AG, Martha Coakley. You can do that by not voting for the sniveling biatch when she tries to run for Ted Kennedy's senate seat. Which she most assuredly will try to do.

They call the sights on the gun "carry sights". Is the adjustable sight on my pistol not suitable for carry for one reason or another?

If I bought the Compact ES, could I purchase the adjustable sights I have on my 1911 and have them installed on the Compact ES?

Looks like I am getting a little off track here but I like the 1911....alot! Well minus the two tone.

I believe that the rear sight is adjustable. I also believe that you can install many of the after market sights on the gun as well.

In fact, Springfield has told the state of Assachusetts to go screw themselves as they refuse to wade their way through the deliberately murky and conflicting laws regarding the sale and ownership of firearms, and therefor, refuse to sell their firearms in the state in which they manufacture them!

Actually, no.

Springfield builds it's firearms in the Midwest and in Brazil, not Assachusetts (as you put it). But wait, it gets better. "The Springfield Armory" was indeed in Springfield, MA and you can still go visit it and enjoy a tour like no other. But, Springfield Armory, the brand, is just a company that bought the name Springfield Armory and has been building and marketing firearms under that name for many years. The two have no connection other than the mental leap that SA hopes you'll make when you purchase one of their military pattern rifles. Now, this is not a knock on SA, they do make some fine guns. But "The SA" has not manufactured weapons for Uncle Sam for many decades.

How do I know this? Well, I made the same assumption you did before a little research.

Actually, no.

Springfield builds it's firearms in the Midwest and in Brazil, not Assachusetts (as you put it). But wait, it gets better. "The Springfield Armory" was indeed in Springfield, MA and you can still go visit it and enjoy a tour like no other. But, Springfield Armory, the brand, is just a company that bought the name Springfield Armory and has been building and marketing firearms under that name for many years. The two have no connection other than the mental leap that SA hopes you'll make when you purchase one of their military pattern rifles. Now, this is not a knock on SA, they do make some fine guns. But "The SA" has not manufactured weapons for Uncle Sam for many decades.

How do I know this? Well, I made the same assumption you did before a little research.

I appreciate that you set me straight RE Springfield Armory. Thank you.

And yeah, I do call this place Assachusetts. It's apropos. [wink]

S&W Low Mount Carry Sights are adjustable left or right - with a sight pusher or drift punch. They're not 'adjustable' in the same way target sights are adjustable.

Can you put your sights on the gun? Probably. Email S&W with the brand name and model of your current sights and ask them.

Did I miss something or did they move from IL to MA? [smile]

The SA of today is NOT related to the Springfield Armory in Springfield MA (now a museum and National Historical Site until the big "O" closes it for good).

To the OP: You can legally buy any handgun (except post-ban AWB) that anyone in MA will sell to you. All restrictions on sales are against the dealer, not the consumer!

As for S&W 1911s, I have a FS one and it is a great gun! I would expect the same from their smaller models.

As for 1911 sights, you can be certain that you can install different sights on them. It might require a bit of gunsmithing for any given sight, but it certainly can be done. e.g. Back in the 1970s I bought a new Colt 1911 with fixed sights. I installed a MMC adjustable rear sight on it . . . it did require a bit of filing to fit however.

It sucks when a newbie comes in here to ask a question and gets "scolded" or told "less than gently" for not doing enough of their own research.

MA laws are challenging to understand, not everyone as much time as "you, whoever you might be" to read them all, not everyone will walk away after reading them with any better understanding of them...etc.

I thought we were supposed to be increasing gun ownership and the members of our community so we could build a united voice against the endless assault on our rights.

Nothing turns potential new members off faster than getting a rude comment in return for an honest question.

We were all new to this all at one point or another, so keep that in mind before making someone feel like shit for asking a simple question. Maybe politely point out the search feature rather than being a dick about it. Keep in mind that the search feature in this software blows and fairly often doesn't return good results.

Certainly all firearms owners have an absolute responsibility to gain at least a cursory understanding of the onerous laws that affect them, if not for the only purpose of covering their ass. I'd strongly recommend to the OP and anyone else for that matter, to spend some time on mass.gov and read chapter 140 as well as the AG's website to look at the consumer safety regs that directly answer the OP's question.

It seems to me that answering a question like this with: "check out mass.gov and put in chapter 140 in the search field or go to http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=cagohomepage&L=1&L0=Home&sid=Cago and put in "cmr guns" in the search field", is just as easy as being an a**h***, and it has the added benefit of not potentially driving new memebers away.

I live in MA. I know that I am only allowed to purchase specific pistols new but I see other people with brands that I assumed you were not allowed to own in MA.

A few weeks back I was corrected a bit more than gently and advised to read up on the what I am allowed to purchase vs not. Is there some kind of rule where I can buy a used 1911 by a brand that isnt allowed to be purchased new or even buy that brand new out of state and have it sent to MA?

Just wondering.....when the time comes (and if ever) when the taget and hunting restriction is lifted off my Class A LTC I think I would like to add another 1911 to my collection; maybe something a little shorter/lighter if I find the full sized 1911 a tad much to carry.

In a nutshell: Buy whatever brand that you want.
The compliance is for the dealer to worry about not the buyer.

You can "own" almost any gun you want. I own 2 glocks, an HK USP Compact, and 2 Kimbers...none of which are MA compliant. I just had to pay a premium and buy them private sale or other legal ways.

Underwhere - Even though you can buy them you have to buy them off a private party which likely means they are used right? I wish there was a way to buy the cool stuff brand new.

Well you could buy the stuff new if it was stored in a safe all those years but it wouldnt be new (like made a few months ago) and unfired.........thats probably even less likely. How old were your Kimbers? They would of had to made before 1994 right?

Many people buy guns and never shoot them, or rarely shoot them.

Even if a gun is used...it's not a big deal if you think about it.
If you fire 1 round through a gun it's "used".

And it's not like after you fire 500 rounds, maybe 1000 rounds or even 2000 rounds the gun is no good anymore.

Guns are made for durability. If a gun can't be used for more than a few thousand rounds it's probably not worth owning. (so don't buy a Para. Just kidding)

Plus with used, you don't pay new-gun retail markeup.
Private sale means you don't pay taxes.

I prefer my guns "broken in" [smile]

There is no magic in buying brand new, it's highly over-rated. [grin]

While I agree with you, I can't help but always want to buy brand new guns. I haven't bought a used one to date. I'm fully aware that I could probably cut at least a hundred bucks of the price buy buying a LNIB gun, but I just can't seem to avoid the joy that comes with pulling a brand new greasy gun out of the box.

The two tone is a bit too fancy looking for my taste.....yea I'm picky but for 1,000.00 I'd like to think I got exactly what I wanted.

Um no. For 2-3k you start getting "exactly" what you want in 1911s. 1k is the low end for 1911s. They are not casual guns, and not very good for non dedicated shooters, and require more training and general up keep, as well as other reasons they are not recommended for many people as a CCW gun.

From your comments, I suspect an MnP would be a much better choice and way cheaper to boot.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom