• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Squibs - need to pull 350 rounds

pastera

NES Member
Went out to test my last batch of 38 special and hit some serious snags.
First round was a squib - could see a bunch of powder residue behind the round stuck just after the forcing cone.
Clear the squib and run another cylinder - three low power, two mouse farts and the last one another squib.

Load:
125 grain X-treme copper plated
CCI small pistol primer
6.0 grains AutoComp

Load data shows 5.7 to 6.2 grains for the load.

I load single stage with an RCBS Jr and a Lyman 55. Weight the powder drop and check length every ten rounds. The Lyman drops +/-0.03 grain consistently with auto-comp.

Scale is an electronic scale and gets checked often with known weights while in use.

Powder and primers are about two years old bought in a big order.

Pulled three rounds and weighted the charge : 5.94,5.96,5.98

Going to order a collet puller to try to save the heads and weight every charge.

So, I am really confused as to why after several thousand rounds I get my first squib along with a full batch that is bad.

The only difference is that I put a heavier crimp on these but can't see that causing squibs.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Idk if its me or not but i make 10 rounds a batch of different chargers and then go to my range 10 mins away to try them out in case they are under powdered or w.e.

I have been using this load for a thousand or so rounds - that is the issue, it isn't acting like it normally does. On new loads I load up 10-12 and test but for well used loads I bulk load.

Same powder, primer and bullet for 357 Mag loaded a month prior is fine.

I have been using this load for a thousand or so rounds - that is the issue, it isn't acting like it normally does. On new loads I load up 10-12 and test but for well used loads I bulk load.

Same powder, primer and bullet for 357 Mag loaded a month prior is fine.

Same lot of powder or same type but different lot? Storage issue with the powder?

Wow that sucks- seems like a real mystery. Agree that heavier crimp should not be an issue. Pull & weigh powder may tell the tale.

Sounds like a powder measure problem, or powder bridging in the measure. Mine can be rotated from Off to On. If it is in between it throws very inconsistently.

Sounds like a powder measure problem, or powder bridging in the measure. Mine can be rotated from Off to On. If it is in between it throws very inconsistently.

I pulled three and they all measured good - calibrated weights on the scale before and after.

This is my measure (well mine is 30+ years old): https://www.midwayusa.com/product/703838/lyman-55-powder-measure

Going to pull them all, toss the powder, resize without the decapping pin, and reload a small number with new powder to test.

You don't need to do the whole resize, I just dealt with this exact problem today. I just re-flared the case mouths and loaded back up with the pulled bullets and the powder I recovered from all the pulled ones (although metered to a higher powder charge). My bad batch also had a heavier crimp than before but I doubt this is the problem since the force required to overcome the crimp is going to be way less than whats required for the copper plating to engage in the rifling etc.

I'd resize them before I loaded them again.

How are you weighing to hundredths of a grain?

Did you double-check the diameter of the bullets?

In a "controlled SAFE setting, i would take two of your weighed loads, and two loads of the same weight, but with NEW powder, and do a BURN TEST, and try to see if there is a noticeable difference between the two different powders.....I feel most likely something has fouled the batch of powder on your reloads.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd resize them before I loaded them again.

How are you weighing to hundredths of a grain?

Did you double-check the diameter of the bullets?
Milligram scale - 0.02 grain precision (yes I know that it is not accurate to that level but it is repeatable to +/-0.05)

I did start a new box (500) of bullets but the 357 that fire fine are from the same box. Diameters are a consistent 0.357.

Did you wet tumble and not dry the cases fully?

If not, it sounds like your powder is bad.
I do wet tumble but the cases sat for a while.

I am wondering if I left the cap on the powder loose the last time it was used (good batch) and it absorbed moisture.

In the end it is a learning experience, time and a small amount of money lost but no injury or damage.

Should I used a few of these bad cartridges to show my kids how to recognize a squib? My wife immediately brought up whether the kids would have fired another round not realizing what happened.

Should I used a few of these bad cartridges to show my kids how to recognize a squib? My wife immediately brought up whether the kids would have fired another round not realizing what happened.
couldn't you just tell 'em if it doesn't go "bang" or they think something didn't feel or sound right that they should stop, clear the gun and check? another thing I would mention to them is to keep it pointed down range for a bit to make sure there wasn't a hang fire.

Last edited:
You don't have any potted plants above your reloading area?
When the wife waters them...look out below (if you have any exposed charged cases). It can happen...

I once had a similar problem and it turned out to be bad primers. They were old shotgun primers that had sat for several years.

Back
Top Bottom