Springfield SOCOM 16 to SOCOM II upgrade

So I bought a used Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 (through NortheastShooters) and wanted to upgrade it to a resemble the SOCOM II as seen on Springfield's website. Finally, it seems I am in the home stretch, just need the vertical grip from Tango Down, and I'm done (I don't want a flashlight).

SOCOMIIb.jpg

The image of SOCOM II as seen on Springfield's website. So hot!

SOCOM.jpg

My upgraded SOCOM 16

SOCOM2.jpg

IOR Valdada 1.1-4x26 CQB Illuminated Scope attached using quick release LaRue LT123 rings. Amazingly solid, and retains zero.

SOCOM3.jpg

Harris bipod attached to extended cluster rail using LaRue Harris Bipod QD Stud Adapter. Quick release and dead solid.

SOCOM4.jpg

View through the scope with illumination turned on. Very cool "CQB" reticle with mil markings as well as 10" ranging circles.

While I have the same rail and scope as that on the Springfield Armory website SOCOM II, I do believe that my rings and bipod adapter are nicer because they are quick release and super well made. I think the ones on the Springfield picture are A.R.M.S., though I am not sure. I think my Harris bipod is newer, has the spring loaded legs with increments, and the ability to cant easily with lockup.

Oh yeah, we are well in the 11 to 12 lb range. But who cares, not like I'm humping it through the desert. Plus, then at least shooting becomes a workout, keep me looking good for the ladies :p

well, M1A was meant to be shot with palm under magazine, elbows pressed against body. It is actually super easy and comfortable to support it this way, as your hand is pressed into you instead of trying to push up on rifle. Also, the lower rail is quick detachable, so that lowers the weight by a lot if you want to go to off hand... Won't need the bipod at that point, plus who wants to grip the sharp bottom rail, instead you get the smooth stock.

well, M1A was meant to be shot with palm under magazine, elbows pressed against body.
I've got an M1A. I have shot it in that sort of target-style position. That works fine slow-fire at 200 yards. It doesn't work up close, which is presumably what a 16" M1A is meant for...

Well, thats where the fore grip and gym come into play. And I'm dead serious, I've noticed that after working hard at gym for some months, it is easier to shoot the SOCOM and my arms don't end up "shaking" as much. Plus, I had a sling on it before I bought the rail, but now I need to get a front sling swivel adapter... Sling definitely helps with weight issues.

At the end of the day, in an up close serious situation, I still rather have a heavy rifle which shoots a 7.62 round than my lighter 5.56 round AR15.

Also, I have to add, if you can't hold the thing steady enough to hit something in a "up close" situation, you are in some sort of physical trouble. If you aren't going to take a target stance, I'm left to assume you are talking like door kicking/house clearing situation against bad guys at 50 meter max range, and which point you don't have to have it dead steady. You'll still easily hit a human sized (or animal sized?) with a little jitter. I mean, this thing is only 12ish pound, max, it isn't that much and it is short so it doesn't hang too far forward. I'm a small guy, relatively fit, and have no trouble, it just isn't an issue at all. At close engagement, with adrenaline, you can snap that puppy up and hold it no problem, and unlike an AR it gets the job done.

Last edited:
Is it a recoil thing? At 11ish pounds I'd think it would be a pretty sweet shooter.

Nice job on the weapon anyway!! It looks great.

I wouldn't think it would be recoil. I've got a standard size M1A (a lighter gun) and it doesn't have much recoil.

I wouldn't be surprised if the muzzle flash and report from the SOCOM is something to behold, however...

That could encourage a flinch.

Turns out, it isn't flinch. Damn scope is defective, if you shake it super hard, you can feel something move. Pretty sure one of the lenses is loose, if you move the magnification ring fast, the reticle jumps a little. Had a friend shoot it, groups were terrible for him too, and he doesn't flinch. So we put another scope on the SOCOM, and the problem went away.

Bloody shame, sending the scope back. But defects do occur, and I just wasn't lucky with the one I got.

Back
Top Bottom