Springfield Show @ BigE - Dec 13 + 14

I find Springfield to be a waste of my time and money, and it is a long drive.

I had this discussion with Carole at the Marlboro show as I was picking up my vendor pass to work the GOAL table.

I'll stick to the Marlboro and Wilmington shows.

At least it's easier to get around the one at the Big E than the Marlboro show.[grin] Went there once to the Marlboro show won't go there again, especially when you couldn't even get near a table to look at anything.

At least it's easier to get around the one at the Big E than the Marlboro show.[grin] Went there once to the Marlboro show won't go there again, especially when you couldn't even get near a table to look at anything.

Sue, that's only because they leave tons of space between the sides of each aisle so that the entire show doesn't look so tiny. Marlboro just fits 500 tables and thus they can't double the aisle space when they get 4-500 tables sold.

I do understand what you mean however. If it were in my backyard I might attend in spite of the size and cost, but it's not worth a long drive for those of us in Eastern MA due to small number of tables and high cost.

I'm trying to think of an excuse to go but I haven't come up with much yet. I'm all set for ammo, and there isn't a gun that I urgently need to buy. (I did most of my panic buying before everyone else realized they should panic.) If I happened to see a good deal, particularly a Glock in good condition, I might grab it. I could definitely use a new safe, but I suspect a gun show isn't the best place to shop for safes? (I can't load/deliver it myself.) I don't suppose Eastern Security Safe from Mendon has a table there?

If it is too cold Saturday to go to the range, I might go just for entertainment value.

I'm trying to think of an excuse to go but I haven't come up with much yet. I'm all set for ammo, and there isn't a gun that I urgently need to buy. (I did most of my panic buying before everyone else realized they should panic.) If I happened to see a good deal, particularly a Glock in good condition, I might grab it. I could definitely use a new safe, but I suspect a gun show isn't the best place to shop for safes? (I can't load/deliver it myself.) I don't suppose Eastern Security Safe from Mendon has a table there?

If it is too cold Saturday to go to the range, I might go just for entertainment value.

I wouldn't trek for no reason, But I will say that I've seen safe vendors (1 or 2) on several occasions there.

You can bet that Eastern Security Safe will be there, as they also have a store in West Springfield.

Just know your prices. Some vendors do raise their prices for the show.

+1 on what she said. Do your research first. Some of those people prey on newbies who don't have a clue what something is worth. It's free enterprise and I'm all for it, but part of free enterprise is caveat emptor.

Personally, I've never seen a gun at a gun show (in MA anyway) that was worth what they were asking. I'm usually looking for accessories (magazines, etc) that are hard to find in stores.

Other than that, it's good entertainment for a couple of hours. I'd say one time out of five I've actually bought something. I'm probably not going to this one because I'm about to be out of work and it seems somewhat irresponsible to go to a toy store.

Or, maybe not[wink]

I'm not looking for anything wild, but just seeing what's out there. Have a few guns in mind though (Glock 23, P99, Ruger Redhawk, Remington 700) so hopefully will see something worth buying.

One thing about the Springfield show that I always found quite strange is they don't allow any ammo inside the building. The ammo sellers are working from tents set up in the parking lot. They usually have a couple hundred cases of ammo inside the tents with a few propane heaters to stay warm. Oh yeah, that's seems a LOT safer than bringing ammo in the building. [wink]

Can someone post or pm the address of the venue? I'm at work now and can't access any info. Buddy of mine wants to plug it into his GPS.

Got it. Thanks. 1305 Memorial Avenue • West Springfield, MA 01089

Last edited:
One thing about the Springfield show that I always found quite strange is they don't allow any ammo inside the building. The ammo sellers are working from tents set up in the parking lot. They usually have a couple hundred cases of ammo inside the tents with a few propane heaters to stay warm. Oh yeah, that's seems a LOT safer than bringing ammo in the building. [wink]

And if you want ammo get there early....good stuff sells quick

It is one of the better Mass shows and I am 2 hours away. I usually do the ammo tent first and then lock it in my vehicle if I buy anything.

The Big E has shrunk a little the last couple I have gone to but I still think it is worth going.

My personal opinion is that a trip to Riley's would be more beneficial for you than a trip to the Big E!!

I used to attend 1-3 Big E shows/year. After watching them diminish to the point that I wasn't buying anything there, I made a decision to cross that venue off my list. I was the person who suggested the Marlboro location to Carole and pushed it hard (I used to do computer flea market shows there), and that show has grown (compared to Big E) to the point that it is the best show in MA (which doesn't say a lot, however).

I am biased, however, so take that under consideration.

How good are the ammo deals? I do not live close at all, and I'd rather not drive an hour + if I'm going to save a $1 a box vs. Wally World prices.

If you're looking for a relatively obscure caliber that isn't on the shelf at Wally World, you might find something acceptable. I'm not sure that you'll make your gas money back, but you'd have the ammo. Rileys might be a better bet.

I was looking back through my records, and found 4 firearms I've bought at the Big E sale. 3 of these were from the same dealer, whose shop is in W. Springfield, and doesn't appear to raise prices just for the show. Thank you, Guns & Gun Parts!

Other than entertainment value, I'm not sure why I go. But I'll be there Saturday morning, just in case the "great deal" shows up.

How good are the ammo deals? I do not live close at all, and I'd rather not drive an hour + if I'm going to save a $1 a box vs. Wally World prices.

Figure out all your expenses from Fitchburg..

Gas,tolls,parking,admission..In my case before I even see a gun it's around $45 (gas,tolls both ways) from Worcester.

You will find no deals on ammo,and a limited selection because only the screw ball from NY is there.

The only deals on guns are snapped up by the dealers before the doors even open (this goes for any show)

The Surefire dealer that runs his shop from a Texaco station should be there,so you could get a decent deal on a flashlight.

Go to Rileys for ammo and 4Seasons for guns.

If you're looking for a relatively obscure caliber that isn't on the shelf at Wally World, you might find something acceptable. I'm not sure that you'll make your gas money back, but you'd have the ammo. Rileys might be a better bet.

I was looking back through my records, and found 4 firearms I've bought at the Big E sale. 3 of these were from the same dealer, whose shop is in W. Springfield, and doesn't appear to raise prices just for the show. Thank you, Guns & Gun Parts!

Other than entertainment value, I'm not sure why I go. But I'll be there Saturday morning, just in case the "great deal" shows up.

If that is AAA yes he does raise his prices for the show especially black rifles and the likes.

Well remember, its called a "gun show" and not a "gun sale" for a reason. Yes the good guns get bought and sold dealer to dealer Friday night. I have to go along with it as just entertainment value. And if I find a deal. Well, that's a bonus. I'll grab some Jerky and +1 on the Surefire guy.
And to make the trip worthwhile I'll hit the Springfield Armory museum for a few hours and stop by Smith & Wesson.

Since I live here in Western Mass, the Big E is the closest show and what I spend in parking is much less than gas/tolls driving to say Marlboro. I've bought a few guns there over the years but not recently. Now I am more interested in accessories and ammo.

Other family commitments may keep me away, at least on Saturday. And if the ammo is sold out then Sunday may be a wash. Hard to say at this point.

Is there a website anywhere that provides more info about the show, location, directions, etc?
Thanks,
-Cuz.

Back
Top Bottom