• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield model 1816 musket

I've been waiting for a nice day to take some pics of this musket my dad gave me when I was a child. It's a model 1816 Springfield armory .69 caliber smoothbore musket stamped 1817.
It was produced at the Harpers ferry & Springfield arsenals between 1816-1844 with about 675,000 units produced.
The Model 1816 was used by Texians during the Texas Revolution and by the US Army and militia during the Mexican–American War. It was also used during the early years of the American Civil War until around 1862.
This is an improved model from the 1812 with a longer lock plate, shorter trigger guard & longer bayonet.
The musket has an OAL of 58". 73" W/ bayonet.
The barrel measures 42".
The blade alone of the bayonet is 16".
The whole package weighs in at about 10 lbs.

At some point in it's life it was re arsenaled & converted to percussion cap.
It was never stored loaded & overall is in exelent condition. Perhaps even shootable although I don't intend on trying it.
It's never been molested or re finished & I oil it from time to time. Needs some now.

001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

In this image is eagle & shield / springfield 1817

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

In this image is US & #41 also US on stock (very faint)

008-2.jpg

In this image is circled S & the initials LH

009-1.jpg

In tis image is stamped D & GAY. I Know I Know but that's what it says!

010-1.jpg

In this image is #'s 12918 & 48. Don't think bayonet is a matching # but correct.

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

005.jpg

This image has circled EJ & stamped MS

006-1.jpg

This image has the letters P, MS, V, R, eagle head, & #'s 312, 45 & another 1817 stamp.

All the barrel bands are also stamped with a D

Any Info on value or these proof & inspectors marks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Very nice. Its good for original 'Pumkin Slingers' to see the light of day. My M1777 .72 Prussian is a little older than yours (1800) and it too was converted to percussion in 1849, giving it a little more life until suceeded by rifle muskets.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

I have shot it at the range; underloaded 80 grains 2F with a .715 ball. Barely hit a 3 foot target at 50 yards.

PM

Nice musket Majspud. You've got me wanting to try shooting mine. This old girl deserves to speak once again.
However I don't want to take any chances. My sister company only does zyglo, magnaflux & even sonic testing but would require a commitment from me. IE dissasembly & motovation.
I know for a fact it has'nt been fired in at least over a century. It was given to my dad when he was a kid & he recently turned 91.

I have shot it at the range; underloaded 80 grains 2F with a .715 ball. Barely hit a 3 foot target at 50 yards.

PM[/QUOTE]

Accuracy is up there with your Mausers[laugh][laugh] only kidding.

Back
Top Bottom