• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spotting scope vs Target camera

Nico9283

NES Member
About to buy my first spotting scope but want some feedback. The max distance at my club is 200 yards, nothing crazy.. but I’ve read that seeing .223 sized holes on paper at that distance can be hard unless conditions are near perfect and I’m using splatter targets. How true is this?

I don’t have 1200 dollars to spend on a crystal clear spotting scope so I’m wondering if I’d be better off with getting a target camera that sits near the target and send me back a live feed to my phone. If that’s the better option, any suggestions on a camera?

Thanks

Try a splatter target first. A lot will depend on what scope your rifle has.

I can easily see 6.5cm holes at 300 yards with my rifle scope 6-24x56 Viper.

A good target camera system will cost you around $800, but will be good to over 1K yards. However, for 200 yards, I wouldn't spend the money.

Last edited:
You don’t need to spend stupid money on a spotting scope, never mind one for a 200 yard range. Get a Vortex Diamondback spotting scope for $400. Or a Bushnell Trophy at $200 should be more than you need.

At 200 yards, even a low end scope will allow you to see hits on splatter targets. Actually hits on the 'white' are pretty easy to see- it's the hits on the 'black' that can be tough in certain light conditions. If I had my own range going to 400 yards and beyond I'd get a camera, but at a club or public range and especially below 300 yards I'd just keep it simple.

I shoot a lot of iron sight matches at 200 yards and for sighting when practicing I'll stick on a splatter target approx size of the 10-ring to know when I'm hitting it. Size of 9-ring is OK too. In crappy light or heavy mirage on HOT days it can be hard to see even 30 cal holes.

The Vortex is a good recommendation. Even the Celestron Ultima will do fine for half the price.

I've had one of these since 2011.
You can easily see 22 holes in the black @200.
You can see 45 holes @ 500.

I also have a Bullseye target cam, the long range model.
I've used that out to 1400yds and it has a pretty clear picture.
I'm going to put it in the classifieds tomorrow.

but I’ve read that seeing .223 sized holes on paper at that distance can be hard
it is not true, but depends upon a model. on my modified celestron 80 i see holes from 6mm bullets at 300yds on white paper - but it is fit with a different fixed eyepiece.
it would be nice to try something out first, or buy from amazon so you can return.

a 100 model will be bit better as is. i would say - a $500 range models will probably be a best bet to work as is for 200, 100mm ones most probably will be better then any of 80mm ones.

This $127 spotting scope will resolve .223/5.56 holes in a black paper bullseye at 200 yards.

Yes, really.

SVBONY SV13 20-60X80...

It will NOT resolve .223/5.56 on paper at 300, even without mirage.

If your eyes are good enough you can see .30 cal holes on a Shoot-N-See target at 300. Hits on steel are clear enough to discern doubles.

You need a good free-standing tripod, and don't touch the scope when you are spotting.

Read the spotting scope's specs, and understand them: BAK4 prism, IPx7 waterproof, fully multicoated lenses. The resolution is 2.37 arc-second.

Good topic, same situation, following, am doing Air Rifle Standing at 100 yards in evenings. Simmons 20x rifle scope, with 130 mm meade refractor spot/telescope.
Easy to see the shots in the white, sometimes can see the black shots, gets better the darker outside it gets, but even when very dark out, still can not see all the black shots. 20230621_202152 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Good topic, same situation, following, am doing Air Rifle Standing at 100 yards in evenings. Simmons 20x rifle scope, with 130 mm meade refractor spot/telescope.
Easy to see the shots in the white, sometimes can see the black shots, gets better the darker outside it gets, but even when very dark out, still can not see all the black shots.View attachment 777526
Situation solved, the 10 inch mirror refractor, am definitely seeing all the shots in the black now. Still need to mount this large refractor on a tripod or hang it from above 20230724_202005 - Copy.jpg 20230724_211405 (2).jpg , work in progress. Last nights target, was able to call the shot and actually see it in the spot scope, progress.

Situation solved, the 10 inch mirror refractor, am definitely seeing all the shots in the black now. Still need to mount this large refractor on a tripod or hang it from aboveView attachment 778001View attachment 778002, work in progress. Last nights target, was able to call the shot and actually see it in the spot scope, progress.
i`m even afraid to ask - on the picture - is it a refractor scope on the rifle?
or it`s hanging from the ceiling?

1690292041219.png

I have a nice luepold 45x scope but have been thinking about this as a DIY solution.
An old phone, 12v wifi back up camera and a DIY directional antenna should work

i`m even afraid to ask - on the picture - is it a refractor scope on the rifle?
or it`s hanging from the ceiling?

View attachment 778003
Yes it is hanging from ceiling, First was the 5 inch refractor which barely worked ok but not good enough, then finally did the 10 inch refractor to my left, all from thrift/swap shops and Craigs. Still deciding how to mount that 10 inch, but at least now know it works well. My range is specific as am shooting into a dark tunnel even at peak sunlight and I provide the light that is available.

Vintage Meade electronic eyepiece P/N 07166, Hooked to the 10 inch, This may work well with the 5 inch, still testing. RCA to USB cable is available for laptop hook up. This is 50 yards, will see what 100 yards does tonight. The eyepiece has an adjustable contrast, which maybe a good shot detector for longer distance.  20230727_131527.jpg 20230727_132120.jpg

Last edited:
Situation solved, the 10 inch mirror refractor, am definitely seeing all the shots in the black now. Still need to mount this large refractor on a tripod or hang it from aboveView attachment 778001View attachment 778002, work in progress. Last nights target, was able to call the shot and actually see it in the spot scope, progress.
LMAO

Don't mean to sound negative, but if this is at 100 yards, I am disappointed, but you still get an A+ becuase it is funny AF. A $300 Celestron spotting scope can see those holes at 100 yards.

I always wondered if a telescope would work, since, at least on paper, it looks like you get more per $dollar on a telescope than a spotting scope.

I guess my question was finally answered.

I award your set up 🥦 🥦🥦🥦🥦/5

LMAO

Don't mean to sound negative, but if this is at 100 yards, I am disappointed, but you still get an A+ becuase it is funny AF. A $300 Celestron spotting scope can see those holes at 100 yards.

I always wondered if a telescope would work, since, at least on paper, it looks like you get more per $dollar on a telescope than a spotting scope.

I guess my question was finally answered.

I award your set up 🥦 🥦🥦🥦🥦/5
but if that telescope from post #14 picture would be mounted on gun as a scope, it would be way, way cooler.
totally looks like it belongs there.

1690485659944.png

Back
Top Bottom