• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sportsmans Trading Company Amherst NH

I would have to say Judy that whatever your intent, your continued angry defense is not doing any service to you or your boss.This is a free forum of many well spoken and intelligent people who like to help each other and exchange ideas and info. There was no malicious intent here just people expressing their experience.

ANOTHER BAD EXPERIENCE

Couple of years ago I was looking for a particular pistol, called this shop and was advised they had one in stock. I specifically asked if it was definitely the pisol that I was looking for, in the caliber I was looking for and if it was definitely in stock, he said yes. I drove the approx 45 minutes down there and upon my arrival was told the story that he did have it in stock in his warehouse. Obviously a bunch of baloney, as indicated by another on this forum he was obviously misrepresenting that the distributor's warehouse was his warehouse.

I have never been back to this shop and plan on never going back. Derek summed up the situation perfectly.

Judy, perhaps you have been subjected so long to the convoluted thinking of this fellow that you think it makes some sense, it does not. Saying you have an item in your warehouse when in fact you know you do not is lying plain and simple. No amount of circular logic by this fellow can change the truth.

>>Did any of you go talk to the owner at Sportsman's about how his behavior upset you?<<

Yuh, like that would get you anywhere. Al is a turkey of the highest magnitude, and should be avoided at all cost!! [angry]

I can relate to what a rip off artist he is on two separate occasions I have had the misfortune of dealing with AL. The first time was when I wanted 1000 rounds of 223 ammo which I ordered and paid cash for. When they arrived there were two boxes on the floor of 223 rounds 500 in each box. He picked up one box brought it to the counter and said here are the 500 rounds your ordered. I quickly pointed out to him that I had ordered 1000 rounds and he better give me the second box which he reluctantly did. A second time was when I had purchased a Mossberg 590A1 from him for $450.00 which wasn't fired so I went to trade it in to him after a while. First he said look how scratched this gun is from the sling and he proceeded to rub oil on a rag to try to take it off then he pointed out the scratches which were minor. He wanted the box it came in which I told him I didn't have. He finally said he would pay me $150.00 for the shotgun. I picked up the shotgun and started to walk out he asked where I was going to which he was to Riley's where I would get a better deal. He finally offered me $175.00 which was still a big hit but I needed the money at this time. I called him to ask if he had any used Mossberg 590A1 in stock and how much where they. He told me he had a used one for $450.00 and a new one for $500.00. At this point I told him so you took my shotgun for $175.00 and now are trying to pawn if off to someone at the same new price!!!!!!!!! He swore up and down it was a different weapon which we both knew was a lie. [angry]

I would never in the rest of my days ever send anyone I know to Al.I bought a firearm from there once.Ive known so many people that have gone there and have had an overall bad deal/feel about the guy.

Ive even felt like an ass even sending a few people over there for ammo becuase they where heading out to nashua and that was the only place I knew that might of had what they where looking for.

I see the guy at the fun shows and just blow by his table.

Only good thing about Al....he showed me early on in the hobby there IS complete jerks and shady dealers....made me a helluva lot wiser.

If you have had a good experience with him...do your friends a favor dont recommend him.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. but, it is so easy to post a bad experience on a computer when you are sitting in your comfort zone, your home. It doesn't seem to be so easy to say the same things face to face..

You do know you're only digging a deeper hole right? [thinking]

That place is a joke. I bought a magazine one day for the Kimber I had at the time. I didn't have the gun with me and when I got home I found that the magazine's base prevented it from clearing the magwell. I went back about 2 hours later. He said he couldn't take it back but an exchange was possible. Fine with me. But... he didn't have any in stock and was expecting them in a couple days. Week later, haven't come in yet. Three weeks, nope. Month later, they're on back order. THREE months later they're still backordered. A plain old 1911 magazine can't be found anywhere! I've since traded for a Kimber Compact so the full size mag isn't of any use, just sitting around until I pick up another 5 inch model.

Never going back to that place. There's too many good shops around. I can't believe people actually go there.

I met this gentleman this afternoon after spying his sign for the first time. We exchanged about six words before I turned on my heel and walked out. I was actually feeling I little bad as I am generaly more polite. I guess it's true as you get older you just don't suffer fools so gladly. Thanks for the reviews!

I stop off for coffee several times a week at the strip mall right next to the one Sportsman is at and will no longer ever stop at his shop, will get my coffee and drive another half hour to another shop farther away rather than stop there for anything.

I stop off for coffee several times a week at the strip mall right next to the one Sportsman is at and will no longer ever stop at his shop, will get my coffee and drive another half hour to another shop farther away rather than stop there for anything.

I'd still like to know how he stays in business. I think he used to have one of the larger retail spaces in the plaza but I'm not positive. Retail space on 101A can't be cheap.

Stopped in there today for some stuff today.

The "warehouse" was one of the first words outta his mouth.. I just had to laugh.. Guy was pleasant and what not but seemed miffed that I wanted to use my CC for my purchase.

However I dont think I will be going back there again.

I used to live in Milford, so Sportsman's Trading was a convient place, but I will never go back there. Everytime I went there he was pushing something else, talking about deals he can offer.
Everytime I asked about something, I'd start off with, "Well, I've been looking at <Model> from <Manufacturer> and he'd ask me, "well, what price did they offer you?"

Nothing was ever "in-stock" but it was always in "our wearhouse" he even told me he was part of a "community" of dealers, which allowed him to offer the best prices, because they ordered as a large group.

I've never bought a firearm from him. I did order a case of 10mm ammo from him, but again, he pulled up his listings in his computer, asked what I was paying and offered me a slight discount under what I was paying. Never EVER gave me a price without fishing for other prices I'd seen.

Six years ago, I wanted to get a single shot 22 to start teaching my son on... was looking for something used, real beginners gun.... stopped in there and told him what I wanted... he pulled out a catalog and started going on about a $500 Kimber he could get for me, how it was cheaper than an Anschutz target gun... but he'd order it up and have it in a few weeks... he wasn't listening to what I said at all other than 22 and bolt action... left and never went back...

If you are over that way, there is a really excellent coffee place at the strip mall right after his. Forget the name of the shop, but in rear of next strip, roast their own beans. The few times I get over that way, really starts my day off right.

Allow me to relate my Sportsman's visit. It was a few years ago when I was getting into cowboy shooting. I wanted a Marlin 94 Cowboy in 45 Colt, 24 in bbl; 2 x old Vaqueros 7.5in bbl, 45 Colt, stainless; a 12 ga SXS coach gun.
He told me:
1. Marlin: it wasn't made anymore, only 20 in bbl
2. OMVs: not availalbe anymore; he had a 4 5/8 bbl and a 5" bbl "at the warehouse".
3. SXS: yeah, he could get me one.

He made a phone call and punched away at his adding machine. He totaled it up and handed the slip to me. The prices were a bit high, but the main thing (at least to me) is this was not what I wanted. I think he was trying to sell me what he either had or could get fairly easily.

While I was digesting this, he then began the "hustle". This was a special deal on the Rugers. Last month was "Ruger Month" and any unsold guns were really supposed to back to Ruger. He could sell them to me for the price on the ticket, but the "deal" had to happen right then. The next day, he had to send them back to Ruger. Same with the Marlin. He couldn't hold it for me. He had to have my commitment right then.

I was new, but I was not dumb! I knew I was being hustled and I "hustled" my caboose out of that place - but pronto.

A little sales "puffery" is normal and to be expected. This guy was a world-class BS'er. Marlin had not stopped making the 24" cowboy and the OMVs were still widely available. "Ruger Month"? Did it exist? Anybody ever hear of it?

I contacted Ernie at Renaissance Firearms and had exactly the guns I wanted inside of a week at a fair price.

v/r

Rangerdog

A post in the general section reminded me about my experience at this shop so I figured I would share as well. It was probably about 9 years ago now that I was working in Amherst and looking to pick up a Mossberg 500 combo. I had recently graduated college and was looking for the best price as I didn't have a lot to spend. I saw one at the Amherst Walmart for $299 and figured I would stop by the shop and see what he had. He gave me this sales pitch that his guns were of much better quality than the crap that Walmart sells and although the price was a little higher, it had a better quality stock, bla bla bla. It was in his "warehouse" and would have it in a couple days so I figured what the hell and ordered it. Well two weeks later it finally comes in and I go to pick it up. We go through the paper work and get everything squared away and he goes, ok you owe me the balance which was $12 or $15 bucks more than the total price he quoted me. Asking what the extra money was for he tells me that was the cost of shipping the gun to the store. Inside I was irate but being young, unexperienced, and uncombative at the time, I just paid it. I think I ended up paying close to $350 or so total. The whole thing just didn't sit right so the next day I went back to Walmart and did some research on the web and it was the same f-ing gun. I totally got racked over. I'll never step foot in the shop again.

The guy at Sportsman's trading Co is a BIG JERK. When I first moved to the area I didn't know the shop and I bought from that big jerk.

DONT BUY THERE

I just registered with this forum so I could tell you of my recent experience with Sportsmans. I went in to purchase a gun case. He says we dont stock them and he only has this one in the store. I told him that I dont think that it will fit so if I was going to purchase it I would need to take it home and see if it fits. If it does not I will need to return it. OK. I take it home and it doesnt fit. I bring it back the next morning in perfect condition and he tells me he does not do returns on gun cases. I ask why not we talked about it possibly not fitting. He says because I have no idea what you did to that case, You could have put ants in it. I tell him to inpect it to see its in perfect condition. He refuses to look at it and refuses to return it. I ask what am I to do with a case that is no good. He starts calling People and tells me I can exchange it for one that is twice the price if I pay the difference. (now he will take it back for double the money) I say no way. After several go arounds he says he will find one that fits and will call me back by next day. We can do an even exchange. He never calls. I call back and he hangs up on me. I ask credit card company to call him with me on the phone because he has no "no return" policys posted or on his reciept. He hangs up on credit card company. He is a rip off artist. Please do not go in that store. I am stuck with something I dont want.

I later looked at reviews on the internet and I see many other stories of rip offs. I should have researched him first but I would not expect this from a retailer who stays in business.

I just hope that other unsuspecting customers (victims) read the reviews on this place so they dont have to go through the troubles that I have. It is tough enough these days to purchase the things you need but it is terrible when someone trys to bilk you out of your hard earned dollars and you end up with something you cant use, cant return and cant exchange for a proper one. Apparently this shop has a reputation for doing that will all its customers.

sorry for your loss, I know you have to be a member here vs a registered user to post in the classified but maybe you could sell it on here or contact the maker of the case and see if they could help. Also file a complaint with the BBB and the state AG

Back
Top Bottom