Speer Gold • Dot or Federal Hyrda-Shok?

since i just picked up a new Glock 27 to replace the Glock 23 for carry, i was wondering what you guys thought about this ammo. i know little to nothing about personal protection ammo.
i have a box of 20 Gold • Dot (that i paid out the ass for) and a box of 50 Hydra-Shok (both .40 S&W) that i picked up this morning from carl and crew at four seasons.

the onlt differences i can see is this
Gold • Dot grain = 180
Hyra-Shok grain = 165

Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

I have no real input. I just LOVE reading about ammo! [laugh]

google is your friend.

e-mail me and I'll send you some propaganda

i didnt want to google it, i wanted NES'ers opinion on it. id rather get subjective reviews from people i know then subjective reviews from crazy online google people! (?)

also, the 2 40's on that look similiar, not that i know how to read balistic tests to be honest.

i didnt want to google it, i wanted NES'ers opinion on it. id rather get subjective reviews from people i know then subjective reviews from crazy online google people! (?)

also, the 2 40's on that look similiar, not that i know how to read balistic tests to be honest.

the reading i did was pretty impressive. it let me form my own opinion.

the author went into specifics such as: shooting cow asses and pork shoulders. i'll have to find it! but right now, i'm in a brain fart.

i have Remington Gold Sabre's right now two of my guns, none of which I carry - but:

230gr .45 ACP - got good reviews in every piece of propaganda i've read

147gr 9mm - also got good reviews in every piece of propaganda i've read

***Not the best, but high ratings***

.40SW is another animal. I get Hydrashock or HST when I see it. But .40 is $$$$expen$ive and the stuff isn't always availalbe, so right now I have Federal "such & such" generic JHP's.

***sorry If I got the names wrong***

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

.40 S&W:
Barnes XPB 140 & 155 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Speer Gold Dot 155 gr JHP
Federal Tactical 165 gr JHP (LE40T3)
Winchester Ranger-T 165 gr JHP (RA40TA)
Winchester Partition Gold 165 gr JHP (RA401P)
Federal HST 180 gr JHP (P40HST1)
Federal Tactical 180 gr JHP (LE40T1)
Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)
Speer Gold Dot 180 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 180 gr JHP (RA40T)
Winchester 180 gr bonded JHP (Q4355)

after doing a brief seach for "firearm ballistics"

i just look for the brand that gets "good" or "excellent" kudos...

http://www.firearmstactical.com/wound.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always been impressed with Speer GDHP offerings. So much so, that I bought 2,000 of their .38 Special +P's. They always felt crisp and seemed to be more accurate. The only exception was the Remington Golden Sabers I carried in my Defender. Loved those.

Here's the totally subjective review. I've used both as defense ammo (.40) at one time or another and I shoot a least one box of defensive ammo a month as it really is different feeling than the target loads. I prefer to shoot the Speer. It just feels like "more" which is what I want in a defensive load. Also, I don't find the increased muzzle flash and perceived recoil to be that bad...just my 2cents

I used .40 Hydra-Shock for years. Then, on the recommendation of someone I respect, I tried some Speer rounds and loved the results. I can't do gelatin tests, but I've pulled bullets from the backstop on many occasions and so long as they don't hit a larger rock you can get an idea of how it will or won't expand.

The Speer did fantastic even after passing through an old jean jacket. I'd never have expected that wide hollowpoint to still expand after punching a hole in the fabric, but it does.

Speer also has a round designed for snubby .38 Special revolvers that I love. Far less muzzle flash than most .38 +p rounds.

What I would recommend is trying it. Don't just shoot at paper, but find a nice soft sand backstop and dig out some rounds. Try it through an IDPA or IPSC style target covered with multiple clothing layers. New style Winchester Silvertips in .38 for example have an expansion issue after going through clothing. Granted my conditions have the clothing unsupported by dense tissue which might alter things, but I'd still like to see expansion after passing through clothing regardless of the backing.

Have fun with it. You can have a real good time with a few boxes of premium defense ammo and a bunch of clothes that are a bit ratty for even Good Will.

I have both and have shot both. I personally carry Federal 165's in my 40's. One of the main reasons, is that you can get a box of 50 for the price of 20 GDHP. That means that you will be able to practice with your carry round more often.

Both rounds are proven to be effective, both expand reliably, and both will get the job done. For the money, Federal is a better value.

Here is the ballistics info for each.

Federal 165 HS
980 FPS
352 ft/lbs

Speer 180 GDHP
950 FPS
361 ft/lbs

The new Federal Tactical line is decent, It's come a long way. (a lot of the old hydrashock loadings used to perform poorly in testing, not so anymore. )

If you find both in 50 round boxes, you'll still save a few bucks buying the Federals.

I never buy GDHPs in 20 round boxes unless I have to, like for the 135 grain .357 mag short barrel load. If you want GDHPs you will save an assload of cash by finding 50 round boxes.

Right now I carry Win Ranger 165s, some DEA contract load from a few years ago. Once I run out of that stuff, I'll probably go to Gold Dots or maybe Feds, probably going to be GDHPs though because I have a stash of them built up, although I think I have some feds too, but not as many.... I really have to look, I could have like 300 rounds. [laugh]

-Mike

I've always preferred the Speer Gold Dot over Federal Hydrashock. Yes, they cost more, but I'm worth it.

Ive tried several loads in my .40 in the last couple months and have found the 165 gr. Rangers to be the most accurate in my M&P.
Before I sent the gun to Burwell it was shooting pretty good with the 180s but after I got it back it seemed to prefer the 165s.
I bought a few boxes of 165 gr. while in Michigan last July, so I will be feeding it those for a while.

Back
Top Bottom