Sorting brass

It is. Its just that the 380 bin has a little large holes to allow the 380 to fall through. neither the 380 or 9mm or 223 will fall through the 9mm bin
Makes sense I guess. So I guess they could’ve just made the 9 mm been the same size. That would’ve allowed the other two to fall through. I guess it’s an original design in the 380 was a remix right? That’s probably the reason. Which is why we go back to the fact that you said I don’t even need to print the 9 mm.

I’m a little slow

I’m also finding that I load too many different cartridges. My 45–70 my 45 colt my 44 magnum, my 44 special and my 44 Russian stay in the top with the 45 ACP. It still leaves me a fair deal of sorting. Someone needs to come up with a plate to yank some of those rimmed cartridges out.
45/70: .608
45: .512
44:.519
44 Russian: .515

45-70 can be sorted out but the other 3 are staying in one bin

Remind me after the seminar and I'll make a 2 part design (sides and base) that will capture the 45-70 and 45 colts
The issue is that body + 1/2 rim is so close to 45acp that 44 mag is ending up in wuth them

Last edited:
Makes sense I guess. So I guess they could’ve just made the 9 mm been the same size. That would’ve allowed the other two to fall through. I guess it’s an original design in the 380 was a remix right? That’s probably the reason. Which is why we go back to the fact that you said I don’t even need to print the 9 mm.

I’m a little slow
Exactly

45/70: .608
45: .512
44:.519
44 Russian: .515

45-70 can be sorted out but the other 3 are staying in one bin

Remind me after the seminar and I'll make a 2 part design (sides and base) that will capture the 45-70 and 45 colts
The issue is that body + 1/2 rim is so close to 45acp that 44 mag is ending up in wuth them
Sweet!

To separate 380 from 9mm, I find that what Navel Officer does is the best method. I use those plastic yellow, blue and black things for everything else.
I've found that for the few that slip through my process, I catch them when they go through the case feeder I built. The slightly lower height causes a slight push on the case feeder and I can remove them. I found 2 380's (out of 3000 9mm I prepped this week) with this method.

Double alpha has also come out with this: DAA Turbo Case-Feeder Plate - pistol calibers

But I would want to clean the brass before putting it in my case feeder....but a thought for separating pistol calibers.

I've found that for the few that slip through my process, I catch them when they go through the case feeder I built. The slightly lower height causes a slight push on the case feeder and I can remove them. I found 2 380's (out of 3000 9mm I prepped this week) with this method.

Double alpha has also come out with this: DAA Turbo Case-Feeder Plate - pistol calibers

But I would want to clean the brass before putting it in my case feeder....but a thought for separating pistol calibers.
Can you elaborate more on your system and case feeder. And what the slight push on the case feeder means?

Thank you. I’ll print that sucker up.

Can you tell me what your slot diameter ended up on your 45 or your Fotay please?

I’m going to cross reference with mine and see how close our printers are running. Then I can try to sneak up on it with a little % increase to maybe save the filing hassle.

Sorry dont have calipers handy right now. To be honest i wouldnt mess with it. The slightest bit over and youre wasting a 20 hour print. But I can get those measurements later for you

Thank you. I’ll print that sucker up.

Can you tell me what your slot diameter ended up on your 45 or your Fotay please?

I’m going to cross reference with mine and see how close our printers are running. Then I can try to sneak up on it with a little % increase to maybe save the filing hassle.
There is another type on thingi that had plate that fit into a bottomless pan. Im going to print one of those plates if i can find it again. Saves a 20 hour wait.

Sorry dont have calipers handy right now. To be honest i wouldnt mess with it. The slightest bit over and youre wasting a 20 hour print. But I can get those measurements later for you
Just stop the print after the slotted base prints - cuts the time down to around 7 hours

Or use my script and put it into test - outputs an STL of just the bottom and a short wall

I don’t know who the jerk is that remixed the 380 plate. However, while it’s printing, the 9 mm logo is in between the layers. So after three hours of printing, I stocked my machine because I thought I somehow saved the wrong file. Lo and behold when they .I don’t know who the jerk is that remixed the 380 plate. However, while it’s printing, the 9 mm logo is in between the layers. So after three hours of printing, I stocked my machine because I thought I somehow saved the wrong file. Lo and behold when they did the remix they left the letters in there and put 380 on top. And starting over again. I did take the partial print and confirm that it will sort just fine without any modification.

Can you elaborate more on your system and case feeder. And what the slight push on the case feeder means?
On my load master and APP, my case pusher is the same height as a 9mm.
If 380 is mixed the next case in the feeder tube falls below the top of the pusher and causes a jam.
This works okay but isn't optimal because the jam happens in the middle of the up stroke making clearing the case a pain.

I don’t know who the jerk is that remixed the 380 plate. However, while it’s printing, the 9 mm logo is in between the layers. So after three hours of printing, I stocked my machine because I thought I somehow saved the wrong file. Lo and behold when they .I don’t know who the jerk is that remixed the 380 plate. However, while it’s printing, the 9 mm logo is in between the layers. So after three hours of printing, I stocked my machine because I thought I somehow saved the wrong file. Lo and behold when they did the remix they left the letters in there and put 380 on top. And starting over again. I did take the partial print and confirm that it will sort just fine without any modification.
Well, it really is a 9mm pan if it holds 9mm but passes 380 and smaller [troll]
That's why I build a new model from scratch to make mods whenever possible - end result is cleaner and once you have a parametric model further changes are super simple (hence the script)

After a little thought, I am going to modify my script to make the bottom 0.2mm of the slots wider by 0.2mm (adjustable in the customizer) to eliminate issues with elephant's foot.

Back
Top Bottom