Something you never really expect to hear at the match - "Cease Fire"

if trigger gets caught by pushing it into a holster and then fires you may get a classic bump stock thing in action. would explain 4 shots.
would be kinda interesting to know what holster/gun it was.

I've heard that it was a Stacatto in a "race" holster. But I'm less certain of the accuracy of that statement then the very brief details I previously posted.

I've heard that it was a Stacatto in a "race" holster. But I'm less certain of the accuracy of that statement then the very brief details I previously posted.
stacattos have a quite decent trigger guard, very odd then. well, i guess, sometimes even a broomstick fires.

In cases like this you do the four steps. Step one take care of the wound,step two replace underwear and clean ass,
step three do some heavy drinking, and step four repeat step three if needed.

Last year I was walking to the rifle range in the snow from the parking area. On the ground was big spots of blood, I thought someone had shot an animal and dragged it out. Nope….. some guy was sighting in his new shotgun and the scope hit him on the bridge of his nose.

We have two military bases near us, we have a fair number of active duty military shooting with us as well as retired or previous service. The number of afaks on belts would probably surprise you.

C'mon dude. You're stepping on my crazy anti-government humor here. ;)

Serpa with a P320 would be epic
LOL. That was my exact thought. Although I couldn't remember the holster NAME - just that it was a BH and every "operator" had one back in the day.

Last year I was walking to the rifle range in the snow from the parking area. On the ground was big spots of blood, I thought someone had shot an animal and dragged it out. Nope….. some guy was sighting in his new shotgun and the scope hit him on the bridge of his nose.
I made someone's tagline. WOOT!!!!!

Hopefully the shooter recovers.

I was fortunate that the only time I was at an event (USPSA) and a cease fire was called mid stage was for a 180 degree break, thankfully not a negligent discharge.

Right handed shooter moving quickly across the stage to the left, went to reload and the barrel was clearly beyond 180 degrees so they got the cease fire call.

Shot another match at same club this past weekend, (it's my local club). Safety brief included quick review of incident at previous match, and a few more details came out.

1) Shooter has been shooting matches at our club for the last year or so
2) Shooter was/is "Super Senior", (which in USPSA is 65 or older).
3) Shooter is ranked as "D" class.
4) Several people on the squad, active duty service, expressed concern prior to the accident, stating that the shooter made them uneasy.
5) The RO shifted away from the gun as the gun was being holstered because he was uneasy.
6) It was a 2011 Stacatto, and the safety was not on when shooter attempted to holster gun.

Moving forward at our club - we're going to have another RO/SO training session, using inert firearms, focusing on what to do when shooters do stupid things. We'll also simulate 911 calls, which is faciliated because one of our members is a 911 line supervisor - he'll be taking the call from the RO/SO.

Every match I've been to has had a shooters briefing that includes what to do if there's an accident. Never really thought I'd "hear a cease fire roll through the range" - but Saturday I did.

Details are minimal - shooter at "make ready command" put gun back in holster after loading it, and as he did so, fired four rounds including one through his foot. We had plenty of trained medical personnel on site, (as competitors), and first aid was immediately rendered. Ambulance and firetruck showed up, injured person was transported out.

Lots and lots of speculation of what happened, but all that I know for sure is in the above paragraph.

Personally speaking, I was the shooter on deck, had just loaded and was about to start when cease fire was called. I had an RO supervise while I went cold. Called my wife and told her that I'd be later than usual because we'd had an accident, that I wasn't involved, and then I walked the stage a dozen times while waiting. Saw no need to go over and gawk and/or get in the way.

It's a reminder - USPSA/IDPA/SC - all of them - it's a game, its competitive, it's fun - but pay attention - we're handling firearms and people can get hurt or killed if we're careless.
The other thing you don’t typically hear in New England at a gun range is

“hey Bubba. Hold my beer!😜

Shot another match at same club this past weekend, (it's my local club). Safety brief included quick review of incident at previous match, and a few more details came out.

1) Shooter has been shooting matches at our club for the last year or so
2) Shooter was/is "Super Senior", (which in USPSA is 65 or older).
3) Shooter is ranked as "D" class.
4) Several people on the squad, active duty service, expressed concern prior to the accident, stating that the shooter made them uneasy.
5) The RO shifted away from the gun as the gun was being holstered because he was uneasy.
6) It was a 2011 Stacatto, and the safety was not on when shooter attempted to holster gun.

Moving forward at our club - we're going to have another RO/SO training session, using inert firearms, focusing on what to do when shooters do stupid things. We'll also simulate 911 calls, which is faciliated because one of our members is a 911 line supervisor - he'll be taking the call from the RO/SO.
Responsibility is 100% on the shooter and I am not at all blaming the RO but I think the safety not engaged could have been seen with that pistol by the RO. I know all don't have ambi safeties but it's something I look to see (the safety, the click, the shooter engaging it, whatever) on SA guns. I hope the shooter recovers and is healthy soon.

that`s obvious, but if no more details are know - it`s ok.
I wasn’t there, so I don’t know. But I’ve seen some shooters at a match that gave me concern — they didn’t control the muzzle well, or they got irritated and distracted after their run and rushed through unload and show clear.

Haven’t you been to a match where there was “that guy” on your squad?

I heard a police call go out for a nearby gun range recently. Accident at the range. Young female injured.

The cavalry responds. Police, fire and ambulance.

While they're on the way a second call comes over the radio. There's more details. The young female is 17 or 18. She was injured from recoil. No more details.

When the cavalry arrives they report she had her eye too close to the rifle scope. And had a bump over her eye.

My first reaction was one of relief that this was not more serious.

My second reaction was that the young lady's father will be sleeping on the couch for a while. And maybe at a Motel 6...

Poor bastard must have caught hell!
Probably thought she broke an orbital bone depending on her reaction.

Responsibility is 100% on the shooter and I am not at all blaming the RO but I think the safety not engaged could have been seen with that pistol by the RO. I know all don't have ambi safeties but it's something I look to see (the safety, the click, the shooter engaging it, whatever) on SA guns. I hope the shooter recovers and is healthy soon.
In addition to maybe spotting that the safety needs to be activated I'm surprised the RO didn't call on the shooter to stop before dropping their magazine and showing clear.

Maybe they didn't have time as the shooter moved to holster too quickly.

In addition to maybe spotting that the safety needs to be activated I'm surprised the RO didn't call on the shooter to stop before dropping their magazine and showing clear.

Maybe they didn't have time as the shooter moved to holster too quickly.

This was at the "Make Ready" command, not "If finished, unload and show clear".

allen-1 said:
stating that the shooter made them uneasy
can translate that to english, pls? :)
They saw how the shooter was handling his gun and felt he wasn’t safe.
If he was unsafe he should have been stopped immediately, Feeling Uneasy is..... he has not been unsafe yet, but I feel it will happen at any moment

Feeling Uneasy is.....
it`s like it was said in 'everybody loves raymond' a while ago:
-do you know how you feel a day before the day you'll feel like you`re going to get sick? so, it`s like a day before that.

it`s like it was said in 'everybody loves raymond' a while ago:
-do you know how you feel a day before the day you'll feel like you`re going to get sick? so, it`s like a day before that.
not sure... I don't watch TV.... But you know the feeling when someone steps up to the line to shoot, and all the experienced shooters don't say a word, but take a big step back...... I think that's the feeling

I'm NRA RSO credentialed and I run many of the 600 yd member shoots at Pelham. There have been a few instances where I had to make a responsibly assertive call to pull a shooter off the line for what I will describe as "concerning actions" and this was an unfortunate situation but necessary . All shooters will claim to always be operating safely in their own minds, yet in unique circumstances you observe an individual whom simply are NOT operating safely. It's NOT just the event shooters whom are expected to follow safety rules responsibly, it's ALSO the event RSO's responsibility to identify any unsafe behaviors and take necessary, pro-active actions to correct weather it be verbal "education" or a more serious event dismissal. I'm not going to access blame as I was not at this event , but I'm not understanding how the event shooter participant in question was called out on more than one instance for concerning safety behaviors, yet the individual was allowed to conduct his live fire relay ? My pre-event safety briefing always concludes with : "on my firing line we are ALL RSO's so help me out by staying alert, and watching each others actions, if you see something concerning, SAY something.

Back
Top Bottom