something to think about when loading magazine into your pistol

Many cops unload their duty guns at shift's end and insert the cartridge from the chamber into the top of the magazine. Chambering the same cartridge day after day can cause the bullet to set-back in the case. With the .40 S&W this had the potential of doubling chamber pressures. When an officer reported for qualification and fired his duty ammo, the first shot—which was the cartridge with the bullet set back—could be very exciting. These problems have since been addressed with stronger cases and a more robust bullet crimp. Still, it's not a bad idea to cycle any cartridge you unload from the chamber of your handgun to the bottom of the magazine.

I periodically unload and load my mags and rotate the ammo in them. As well as swapping the mag in my edc and extra with the unloaded ones in the safe.

Many cops unload their duty guns at shift's end and insert the cartridge from the chamber into the top of the magazine. Chambering the same cartridge day after day can cause the bullet to set-back in the case. With the .40 S&W this had the potential of doubling chamber pressures. When an officer reported for qualification and fired his duty ammo, the first shot—which was the cartridge with the bullet set back—could be very exciting. These problems have since been addressed with stronger cases and a more robust bullet crimp. Still, it's not a bad idea to cycle any cartridge you unload from the chamber of your handgun to the bottom of the magazine.

Actually... many departments have armorers that advise the command staff that it's a bad idea to do this when guns are perfectly safe staying in their holsters at the end of shift. ;)

I agree with your point though. I've seen some pretty gnarley bullets being placed back in magazines.

Why would you want to unload a perfectly good cartridge? Leave it loaded, you never know when you might need it.

Why would you want to unload a perfectly good cartridge? Leave it loaded, you never know when you might need it.

This... I only ever unload carry guns if I have to... otherwise they stay with a round in the pipe, at all times. I think it's literally been like 3 months since I unloaded my G26.

Further, if you're carrying a 9mm or a .45 loaded with quality ammo.... getting appreciable setback is a pretty challenging thing to do. The most sensitive by far is .357 Sig, followed by .40 S+W..... with the former being way worse than the latter. Even when I carried a .40 for many years I could get an easy 5-10 rechamberings out of the same round before there was some obvious setback. then I'd just pop those rounds out and shoot them off at the range later. (none of them were set back so bad that they'd be dangerous. )

-Mike

This... I only ever unload carry guns if I have to... otherwise they stay with a round in the pipe, at all times. I think it's literally been like 3 months since I unloaded my G26.

Further, if you're carrying a 9mm or a .45 loaded with quality ammo.... getting appreciable setback is a pretty challenging thing to do. The most sensitive by far is .357 Sig, followed by .40 S+W..... with the former being way worse than the latter. Even when I carried a .40 for many years I could get an easy 5-10 rechamberings out of the same round before there was some obvious setback. then I'd just pop those rounds out and shoot them off at the range later. (none of them were set back so bad that they'd be dangerous. )

-Mike

the .40 S&W was the one I was mostly referring to with the quote ....and as for not unloading...even with the scenario you put out there...I would want to clean my gun to make sure moisture was not letting crap buildup in the barrel etc.... but hey, that's just me... never said you had to....to each their own....

Not if it's a Glock. Throwing it and firing it at an intruder have about the same chance of success....

My home defense gun is a G17. I suppose I'll just plan on tackling an intruder and firing the whole magazine near his face until it explodes killing him.

Same here. I carry daily and just check the chamber by pulling the slide back just enough to see brass. I know there is a name for that check but forget.

I unload them when I clean the pistols. Then, I make sure the same round does not go back in the chamber to prevent set-back.

Good hope this happens to ALL of them!

Charles.

Guy's doing it wrong if he has enough room in his mag for another round and there isn't already one in there. Load mag, rack slide, pop mag out and top off. No vacancy!

I'll probably reveal myself to be uneducated with this admission but I did not know any of this. Thanks to the OP for conveying that info to people like me.

Back
Top Bottom