Someone give me the rundown on interstate firearms purchases...

Lamina

Banned
So, first let me apologize for not just doing a search... I'm on my bb and it's a bit cumbersome.

Here's the specific situation...

I am a NH resident. I wish to buy one rifle and one pistol from a VT resident.

am I permitted to take posession of the long gun FTF in either state, or must it me xferred through an FFL?

And, for the handgun (and rifle if need be) can the buyer come into NH and Xfer through a NH FFL, or must the item be FFL xferred in both state of exit and state of entry?

Thanks in advance to anyone who clears this up for me.

Most of my info was misleading or wrong.

Good thing I said to wait till the others reply.

I was just trying to hold animal over till the experts reply as he was was looking for quick answers.

I will refrain from commenting on things that I am not sure about.

Last edited:
I am a NH resident. I wish to buy one rifle and one pistol from a VT resident. am I permitted to take posession of the long gun FTF in either state, or must it me xferred through an FFL?
Generally, FTF transactions are illegal between residents of different states. Rifles and shotguns must be transferred through a FFL in either the

seller's or the buyer's state of residence. Handguns must be transferred through a FFL in the buyer's state of residence.

Alright, so using google fu I have verified all except the last point here...

For the pistol, is the private seller able to simply come to an FFL in my state and perform the transfer there, or must there be an FFL involved in both states?

For the pistol, is the private seller able to simply come to an FFL in my state and perform the transfer there,
Subject to NH state law, which I am unfamiliar with. My guess is, if the seller transported them unloaded and secured in a locked case in the trunk,

it's ok, but I could be wrong.

or must there be an FFL involved in both states?
No. For handguns, the law only requires FFL involvement in the buyer's state of residence. For instance, the seller could ship them both to your FFL

directly, providing your FFL is willing to accept them from a non-FFL.

Fantastic. Now to locate a willing FFL in my state as close to the other guy as possible.

Anyone have any experience with "Welch's gift and gun shop" in lebenon, NH?

No personal experience, but a quick google search turned up this from hkpro.com

Welch's Gun Shop in Lebanon, NH.

Leilah runs the shop. She's an authorized HK dealer, will work to get you what you need, and she's up front about any prolonged wait time for certain factory orders. I've purchased 5 HKs from her in the last couple of years and am very satisfied.

Thumbs up Welch's!

I'll second Welch's! Great bunch of folks - Highly recommended

I do believe I apologized for and qualified why I didn't follow forum decorum.

That said, thanks for the link. I spend the vast majority of my time on only a few of the forums here, I forget the others exist.

As I understand it, you can transfer the rifle FTF somebody in you state or a neighboring state. That is the Mass law I think. You said you are from NH and the rifle is in VT. You should be good to go on that.
NOOOOO! That would be a federal felony. You CAN NOT do FTF transactions across a state line.

Handguns, on the other hand, must be transferred only FTF if both residents are from the same state.
All FTF transactions, whether handguns or long guns, are only legal if both parties are residents of the same state.

Since you are both from different states, you must have your friend send the handgun from his FFL in his state to your FFL in your state. Neither of you can just drive it across the border to an FFL.
NOOOOO!

1) You can buy a long gun from an FFL in any state. So the rifle could be transferred through an FFL in any state.

2) Handgun transfers must go through an FFL in the buyer's state of residence. In this case, that would be NH.

3) You don't need a license to possess a handgun in NH (just to carry it concealed). So the seller could drive the guns to a NH FFL for the transfer. Or he could ship the guns to that same NH FFL via FedEx or UPS. There is no requirement to have two FFLs involved.

Reptile, I know that you are trying to help, but you are giving horrible advice that could result in someone unwittingly committing a federal felony. Please delete your post as just about everything in it is demonstrably wrong.

Alright, so using google fu I have verified all except the last point here...

For the pistol, is the private seller able to simply come to an FFL in my state and perform the transfer there, or must there be an FFL involved in both states?
Only one FFL required -- the FFL in your state.

Only one FFL required -- the FFL in your state.
Right.

The selling VT resident can bring the firearms (long and handgun) to an FFL in NH, and the NH-based FFL can perform the transfer to the NH resident buyer. It would be more complicated if the buyer was in a state that had more restrictions on simple possession since the seller might have to ship them to the receiving FFL.

I think the OP has the right idea now.

The answer is ALL interstate transfers MUST go through a licensed FFL. Handguns Must go through an FFL in the Buyers home state.
You mean "almost ALL", not "ALL".

You forgot the exception for bequest, but that's a tricky one to set up since the seller has to agree to die to legally complete the transaction.

Reptile, I know that you are trying to help, but you are giving horrible advice that could result in someone unwittingly committing a federal felony. Please delete your post as just about everything in it is demonstrably wrong.

That will be the last time I answer a serious question at 3 in the morning.

Thanks for setting me straight.

I have learned lots from this thread that I did not know.

Back
Top Bottom