Some more reasons........

The Goose

NES Member
The other night my wife and I went to a Toby Keith concert. In general I am not a fan of noisy and crowded venues, but my wife had gotten me the tickets as a Christmas present and I do like Toby Keith. So we went.

The last concert I went to was The Kinks and Lee Michaels in 1969 so I was not at all sure what to expect. My wife said that sometimes they search you at concerts. I said perhaps I should not carry to which my wife responded, “what are you crazy. Of course you are going to carry, just hide it.” Gotta love that woman.

So I stuck my battered old S&W 36 (see ugly snubby contest thread) in an ankle holster. Sure enough they patted me down at the door. It was not very thorough, but I was glad I had nothing on my hip. When we got inside I went to the men’s room, went into a stall and discreetly transferred the snubby to my pants pocket. The concert was great, loud, but great. As we left I ducked into the men’s room again and moved the snubby into my coat pocket. We had parked about 6 blocks away and it was now after midnight. It was cold so I just walked with my hands in my coat pockets, my right hand holding the snubby. We got in the car and headed home. My wife noticed we were low on gas. I would have just driven home, but she is a bug about things like that so I pulled off the highway into a 24 hour station. It was now well after 1:00 AM and the nightcrawlers were emerging. As I pumped the gas I scanned the station lot and just kept my right hand in my coat pocket. Very comforting.

Nothing even remotely bad happened, but I tell the story just to once again reinforce the versatility of the marvelous little snubby. I guess a small semi auto could have done much the same except it is no good for shooting through pockets. When things feel a bit dicey out and about late at night a snubby in the coat pocket is a great friend indeed.

Not necessarily...i bypassed getting pat-down by running into the portapotty, taking my belt and tied it in the inside of my pants. clipped the holter to it and put my pants over it...it road snugg against the zipper. I then immediatialy put it back where it should be after i got in.

Not necessarily...i bypassed getting pat-down by running into the portapotty, taking my belt and tied it in the inside of my pants. clipped the holter to it and put my pants over it...it road snugg against the zipper. I then immediatialy put it back where it should be after i got in.

Very creative. Hey, whatever works.

+1 Very creative;

until ones pants fall down without the belt [smile]

I guess a small semi auto could have done much the same except it is no good for shooting through pockets. When things feel a bit dicey out and about late at night a snubby in the coat pocket is a great friend indeed.

My AMT 45 Backup is the size of a Walther PPK. I'll take 5+1 185 grain 45ACP over 38 special any day. Like you, it has been a good, reliable friend and comfort on the ankle, on the belt, and anywhere you could put your snubby.

It might even shoot through a pocket - you never know. [wink]

From what I have observed at sports venues, they are more interested in making sure you aren't bringing in snacks than anything else. The pat down is really cursory. Use just a bit of creativity and you can probably pass muster.

Some amusement parks are much more diligent. I think all Six Flags have metal detectors. I know the one in New Jersey does.

Gary

is it illegal to carry in those places? what would they do if they found a firearm on someone?

Ask them to leave. It's not illegal, but they mostly have generic no weapons policies. Fenway and the TD North Garden do. It's printed on the back of the tickets. I'd guess that Gillette Stadium does as well.

Gary

is it illegal to carry in those places? what would they do if they found a firearm on someone?

It's not illegal, it's the business's choice to do it. You just won't be allowed in. Or, if they see a firearm, they'll ask you to leave.

And I see Gary beat me to it. :)

Interesting...

The one point that the Conceal Carry instructor stated specifically (a few years ago) was that if you went to Gillette, Fenway or TD Bank North packing, and someone were to find out, you were in a SERIOUS amount of trouble. Say, at the minimum of the State/Local Police will give you a REAL hard time:

http://www.gillettestadium.com/stadium_information/index.cfm?ac=prohibited_items

Individuals in possession of a prohibited item(s) may be denied admission to the stadium, ejected, arrested, prosecuted, and may forfeit the privileges of the season ticket holder of record. Prohibited items that are discovered in the stadium will be confiscated. Gillette Stadium and its affiliated clubs, and its agents and affiliated entities are not responsible for injuries sustained in, on, or around the stadium.[rolleyes]

Prohibited Items List:
Weapons of any kind [including knives].

IANAL, so...I heeded that warning: I would rather be naked for a few hours than deemed "unsuitable" [thinking]
Do I agree with this, HELL NO. But then I wake up and realize....I am in a Communist S*IT Hole.

Last edited:
IANAL, so...I heeded that warning: I would rather be naked for a few hours than deemed "unsuitable"
Do I agree with this, HELL NO. But then I wake up and realize....I am in a Communist S*IT Hole.
I think you'll find this prohibition in most if not all venues nationwide.

Back
Top Bottom