So the g/f asked a question last night

She is a Resident alien, as such she cant get anything other than an alien FID (still working on that one...)
In any case, she asked an interesting question, that i'm pretty sure I knew the answer to, but felt I should double check.

Her question was, If I was out, and she was over my place, and someone broke in to the house, if the stars are aligned and she is in a place where she feels she needs to and is justified to use lethal force to protect herself, could she go into my gun safe, retrieve one of my pistols, and fire upon said bad guy.

Her worry is that because she is not legally able to own a pistol and even more is an alien (legal resident, but still) that she would get in trouble if she ended up using my firearm to protect her self.

I will hold off on my personal views on this to see what you guys think.

those resident alien FID's are a PITA. my dad has his.

[rolleyes]

-tell her to get her citizenship ASAP. this "resident" FID alone will cost her a $100 / year!

Or you could just man up and marry the girl... LoL Great question... I would go with Jay chris on this one... Citizenship ASAP one way or another.

Jay_Chris said:
tell her to get her citizenship ASAP. this "resident" FID alone will cost her a $100 / year!

She's working on it, problem is she wants to have the ability to regain her Norwegian citizenship if she ever wished too, or if they started allowing for duel citizenship. Theres some weird time/age restriction in order to do this with Norway, she's planning on checking into it more when she's up there this summer

Illegal possession of a firearm, but, on the other hand, a live girlfriend...

This was pretty much my response to her.

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

She would be dragged through the courts, as would you on a unsecured storage charge.

Since the good gubbamint of MA is always saying illegal aliens have all these rights, why can't a legal alien such as your GF have the right to protect herself?

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

She would be dragged through the courts, as would you on a unsecured storage charge.

Since the good gubbamint of MA is always saying illegal aliens have all these rights, why can't a legal alien such as your GF have the right to protect herself?

our gubbamint does NOT allow us to protect ourselves. why extend it to these rights to a 100% legal, law abiding alien?

-just like the non-res permits [puke]

She needs to pick one and stay with it. Here or there.

+1

i told my dad the same thing a few years ago. he's still sporting big scroll of FID.

it's sad, it's about the size of a vehicle registration... it sreams "LOSER" IMO.

like they even wanted to make having the thing on your person an inconvenience.

If she managed to wrestle a gun out of a bad guy's hands and shoot him, she'd probably be OK. But, if she were able to get to your gun, that's an admission that it isn't properly secured (since you told her how to open the safe or where the key is). i.e. you had planned all this in advance.

It sucks, but both of you would have a big problem.

See what rifle she can get with the FID. Either that, or try Easy Off oven cleaner in the bad guy's face.

Hehe, as a long time martial arts instructor, I have many items of this nature hanging around... be interesting if she decided if one of the swords was in easier reach...

Dont think this would happen to me as they would be in my safe, she just happens to have the combination to my safe.

+1

i told my dad the same thing a few years ago. he's still sporting big scroll of FID.

it's sad, it's about the size of a vehicle registration... it sreams "LOSER" IMO.

like they even wanted to make having the thing on your person an inconvenience.

Ehh, her choice. Her thing is there are a lot of benefits, including a TON of money you get, just for being old and living there. She was thinking more along the lines of retirement, but yeah just being a citizen and old in Norway entitles you to like 50k a year or something silly like that, no work needed. I think also cause that's one of the places she really enjoyed growing up... however she's lived in 6 countries throughout her life, so probably more that it's the one she started out in.

Dont think this would happen to me as they would be in my safe, she just happens to have the combination to my safe.

The law requires the lock on the container to be "properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user."

If she has the combination to the safe, the combination lock is not "properly engaged" as described above.

The law requires the lock on the container to be "properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user."

If she has the combination to the safe, the combination lock is not "properly engaged" as described above.

... well then... i'm speechless, time to go get a shot gun, and her, her FID

Actually the most intriguing post was the first one about "Doctrine of Competing harms."

Has anyone seen if this would work in MA?

I wonder if she would be Any worse off in court than anyone of us with permits?

On the "illegal possession" end of things, definitely. Having a license, even an FID, changes the game considerably.

-Mike

Am I the only one who read the thread title and expected this question:
My advice was going to be run or eat your gun.

Hehe, i'm lucky enough that my g/f weighs less than I do and i'm 135lb [smile]

(and to suppress the "worthless without pics" i'll snap a shot of us at the range at some point and throw it on the "what do you look like" thread [wink])

You do not have a shotgun or a rifle? get one, and have her get her fid, if you are worried.

My advice, have her get an alien FID, and then you should get a separate safe and a low-cap rifle or shotgun to live in it.

The 2nd Amendment, just the way the founding fathers imagined it.

[QUOTE]She would be dragged through the courts, as would you on a unsecured storage charge.[/QUOTE]

Not a lawyer, don't know that law. Does the law defined "secured"? Secured against whom? Anyone not allowed to possess a gun? Anyone under 12? Anyone not resident or permitted in the residence? Can anyone not in the group against which the gun is secured use it for self-defense?

I read recently that in Illinois, or maybe just Chicago, of all places, they have a law that if you save your life through use of a weapon, you can't be charged with a crime due to the provenance of the weapon.

I agree that having her be able to access my safe and me getting charged would be kinda weird. A. I train her to grab the gun and leave one home with her when i'm out when she's over there (obviously rather her live and go thru legal battle than the alternative, which is how this question got brought up). and B. she has been in my house hundreds of times, and I carry most times, and I go to the range often, and she reloads with me. even if I didn't have her put stuff away for me, or she didn't lock the reloads up after she was done she would have noticed the combination just cause she happens to notice me put my carry away for the night...

Back
Top Bottom