So I got to my blind by 5am this morning...

StevieP

NES Member
and as I got to about fifty feet away from it I heard a loud wheeze. My mock scrapes and doe estrus definitely brought him in...

I stood still and he wheezed/snorted at me a few times. Then he ran off and I didn't see or hear anything else. Came in about 8:15 for breakfast and will head back out again this afternoon.

What time do you guys get to your spot in the morning? How long do you stay?

What time do you go back in for the afternoon?

Once I get there, I'm there until closing time.

The last deer I shot was ten minutes before closing time, had to gut it out while holding a minimag flashlight in my mouth.[grin]

I've had the occasion to spook a couple of big deer on my way out of the woods mid morning before and had I not moved they would have more than likely walked right across my field of fire so I changed my ways and now stay put.

Usually at least 1.5 hours before sunrise. Depending on the activity we end up doing late afternoon drives if the deer are few and far between.

Once I get there, I'm there until closing time.

The last deer I shot was ten minutes before closing time, had to gut it out while holding a minimag flashlight in my mouth.[grin]

I've had the occasion to spook a couple of big deer on my way out of the woods mid morning before and had I not moved they would have more than likely walked right across my field of fire so I changed my ways and now stay put.

+1....In well before sunrise, MAYBE out for a quick coffee and sandwich around 11, and hang right in until dark. I can't tell you the number of bucks that I've seen come cruising after 10am for some reason. I spend as much time as possible NOT stirring up my scent and hanging right in on my stand.

+1....In well before sunrise, MAYBE out for a quick coffee and sandwich around 11, and hang right in until dark. I can't tell you the number of bucks that I've seen come cruising after 10am for some reason. I spend as much time as possible NOT stirring up my scent and hanging right in on my stand.

Same here. Usually just go to the truck and get a sammich and coffee from the thermos around 11ish. Maybe change or add clothes. I have shot more deer mid day than on either end of the day.

Especially in Mass as the numbers of hunters moving around coming and going out for lunch seems to keep the deer moving all day long.....

all my deer have been shot between 11:00 and 14:00

I find that all the guys running out for a late breakfast or lunch and then returning end up pushing deer my way.

I'm going out my first time Saturday, my older brother is coming with be, he isn't hunting though just there for the fun of it.

I'm going to be going to Camp Edwards in Bourne, I registered for the deer hunt there and have heard the deer is plentiful.

I'll probably be there around 5:00am so i have time to walk out and setup a ground blind to hide out in.

Wish me luck!

In before first light bring a sandwich with me and a thermos of coffee out at dark or a few mins before depending how far from the truck I am

In today at 4:30AM and stayed until 4:30PM. Had two 4 pointers in my sights between 8:00 and 8:30. Not a thing for the rest of the day. Brought breakfast and lunch in with me. Last time I deer hunted was 1983 and shot a 156 lbs 6 points. I wanted a bigger one for the wall and forgot that in Massachusetts you are allowed two!!!!

I went in at 5:30am in the dark and got out of my tree when it was dark right around 5 pm. I brought a bottle of water, 2 PB&J's and 4 Oreos. I saw 12 does today but no bucks, I already used my doe tag for this zone so I have to see bone.

Last edited:
In today at 4:30AM and stayed until 4:30PM.
Now that's early! I usually try to get in before sunrise, but often fail... Today I got in the woods around 6:35 or so and it was still dark enough that I needed a flashlight to maneuver. I've never used a stand though, mostly still-hunt or lay up in a prime location.

I had been in the woods only about ten minutes today when I faintly heard some movement and froze. At first I thought it was probably a squirrell, but then it started sounding like slower, deliberate footsteps from something heavy. I was craning my head to try and get a glimpse through all the brush when I caught a quick tiny flash of something bright. "Damn I thought, that's definitely the blaze on a hunter doing some crappy stalking." But shortly thereafter, I see it's a deer -a doe. Then out comes a yearling, also looked like a doe -damn. I crouch down and they cautiously try and get around me. Then, one thinks it sees me (it should have, I was crouching in a clearing) and they charge off in retreat. Then they slowly make their way back to the same spot about 25 yds away and were surprised by me again. They must have done this about 3-4 times over a forty minute period. But, no doe tags this year. [sad2]

I have an anterless permit for zone 3 that I wont be using. My week of hunting Beartown Mtn. is gone by and I didn't use it. I wont be going back until next year now, so...
What are the rules for passing it along? Can I? Could I give it to someone?

I have an anterless permit for zone 3 that I wont be using. My week of hunting Beartown Mtn. is gone by and I didn't use it. I wont be going back until next year now, so...
What are the rules for passing it along? Can I? Could I give it to someone?

Nope, doe permits in Mass are non transferrable.

Actually, I applied for zone 3. I think it may be impossible for epo's to see whose doe permit is whose,

Wrong!!!! Your name and hunting license number are right on the permit.

Back
Top Bottom