• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SNIPER RIFLE MOUNTED DRONES ARE HERE

it is a lie. the max time for a flying battery only - means 0 payload, just to hover lifting your own powerbricks and chassis is 37-42 minutes. an every gram of an actual payload reduces that max 'flying battery' time.
and that is done with a quad designs on ultralight carbon frames and oversized props, that is not optimal for real life use. a hex or 8/12 rotors designs used in real heavy lifting cinematic drones to carry expensive video equipment have less flight time, as the drivetrain gets heavier and eats up more current.
there are a lot of lies of what is posted about those things. but, the amount of thrust required to lift up the model in the air is always in direct correlation with the total weight of powerbricks you need to lift to supply the current to powertrain. you cannot cheat that to add a flight time, really.
It’s true advertised flight time is empty. But fully loaded will get you 25 min. DJI drones hoist RED Epic 4K’s for most movies you watch. Gigantic carbon fiber blades on motors the size of your fist. Hex and Octo configs with triple redundancies and able to fly with multiple dead motors. RTK and massive redundant self-heating battery packs. Nobody wants to lose a $100K camera. Which makes them perfect for a hostile post-SHTF world.

Last edited:
raw

the price of the hex build like that is not very high - it is like a tarot 680 pro size wise. a $1.5K build top, if not half cheaper.
the issue there - it is not going to have more than 12-14 minutes flight time with the 10lb payload weight. so from practical perspective, until new generation of lipo batteries are there - it is not very usable.
i think in a recent conflict in armenia something like that was already used, like a flying AK.
You are forgetting this is gov contract hardware plus software. [smile]

I bet they get a pretty good chunk of change for the aiming system.

You are forgetting this is gov contract hardware plus software. [smile]
I bet they get a pretty good chunk of change for the aiming system.
i can't speculate of what i have no info, but, my only sentiment here - this whole flying gizmos market will not get anywhere serious until tech somehow at least quadruples the power capacity of powerbricks we have now, and what technological innovation would be needed for that - who knows.
i play with drones since may be 2002, got 11 working models now, and all this is fun, but, practical commercial use for any of that is highly limited.

only military implementation i can think of now would be truly only something like a flying grenade - one can perhaps retrofit a servo used to drop a fishing bait to pull a pin from the grenade after flying it toward a target. something like a mavic 2 or mavic pro of previous generation could probably do it.

but a thing like a flying battle station with a sufficient ammo capacity - jeez. nope.

Great for the gen Z new draftees into the IDF, who are so used to tech and mobile games. Palestinian not complying with evacuating his home at 3 am? Send the flying gun!

sure, let's use DJI drones, you know the ones the military and government have already grounded for their use because it feeds every bit of info back to DJI's servers ...DJI is in bed with the Chi Com's right

sure, let's use DJI drones, you know the ones the military and government have already grounded for their use because it feeds every bit of info back to DJI's servers ...DJI is in bed with the Chi Com's right

and to be fair, there is probably a backdoor on these as well for another price.

We had some discussion like 25 years ago about cruise missiles vs conventional artillery. Conventional artillery, including mortars (if you need something more compact) can get job done with pinpoint accuracy and very little possible defense against falling heavy objects. The huge difference is cost, orders of magnitude less.

Same with drones, there are jammers, there are anti-drone drones, there are ground anti-air defenses and any serious installation would have multiple layers of defense. Good luck with this bullshit, it's a great toy to sell to feds and police departments and military to go against poorly armed and defended domestic civilians.

I forget the specifics, but the US Military was using some sort of flying toy over in the sandbox to look around and the effn operating system was not encrypted

We had some discussion like 25 years ago about cruise missiles vs conventional artillery. Conventional artillery, including mortars (if you need something more compact) can get job done with pinpoint accuracy and very little possible defense against falling heavy objects. The huge difference is cost, orders of magnitude less.

Eh, that really depends. If you are picking on the local Afghans, yes, you can indirect fire them into oblivion. If you're fighting someone whose gear consists of more than sandals and a t shirt, you will face C-RAM systems along with the pleasure of counter-battery systems that will return the love.

nor legal federally, you can not weaponize a drone.

You sure about that?
I worked for a company, in Waltham that made these, among other things...

MAARS Grey Muzzle.jpg

You sure about that?

View attachment 563717

That thing is just an amusing target without armor.

You sure about that?

View attachment 563717

The thread is about flying robots. He used the word "drone" as the commonly accepted reference for flying toys. His statement of "it's illegal" was in reply to proposed private use by civilians.

That there exist tracked robot platforms with weapons packages for sale to governments is apples and hand grenades.

seems to me it'd be easier to drop a bomb than fire a gun.
easy - yes, but, what`s the point? if there was any significant tactical advantage from self-flying grenades - it would be already available for troops to use, but do you see any?
technically it is all very doable, but, is still pretty pointless.

Operating a drone that has a dangerous weapon attached to it is a violation of Section 363 of the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act enacted Oct. 5, 2018. Operators are subject to civil penalties up to $25,000 for each violation, unless the operator has received specific authorization from the Administrator of the FAA to conduct the operation. “Dangerous Weapon” means any item that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury.
So it’s not illegal to own said drone, just illegal to fly it pre-SHTF.

you should have looked at agras drone specs, as it is quite a monster thing, and dji makes them very efficient.
the battery pack it uses:
  • Model​

• BAX501-29,000mAh-51.8V
  • Weight​

• Approximately 10.1 kg
  • Discharge rate​

• 11.5C
  • Water-resistance rating​

• IP54 with board-level potting protection
  • Capacity​

• 29,000 mAh
  • Voltage​

• 51.8 V

And rest of the model - 26.4kg plus add a battery 10.1kg - it shows an EMPTY max hover time of 20 minutes, and a mere 7.8 minutes of total flight time with the full payload.
it is all the current lipo batteries can give you, and in line with what comparable cinematic platforms do.

• Total weight (without batteries)​

• 26.4 kg
  • Maximum take-off weight​

• 76.5 kg (near sea level)
  • Maximum thrust-to-weight ratio​

• 1.70 @ takeoff weight of 66.5 kg
  • Hovering precision (with good GNSS signal)​

• With D-RTK enabled:
    ±10 cm (horizontal) and ±10 cm (vertical)
    With D-RTK disabled:
    ±0.6m (horizontal) and ±0.3m (vertical) (with the radar function enabled: ±0.1m)
  • RTK and GNSS frequency bands​

• RTK: GPS L1/L2, GLONASS F1/F2, BeiDou B1/B2, and Galileo E1/E5
    GNSS: GPS L1, GLONASS F1, and Galileo E1
  • Maximum power consumption​

• 11,000 W
  • Hovering power consumption​

• 10,000 W (@ takeoff weight of 66.5 kg)
  • Hovering endurance​

• 20.5min (@29,000 mAh & takeoff weight of 36.5 kg)
    7.8min (@29,000 mAh & takeoff weight of 66.5 kg)
I’m missing your point. If you are protecting the homestead and need to deliver an 8gallon payload on target how much time do you need? Plus, as you dump your payload it gets lighter.

Terrific solution for the soldiers of fortune-wannabes that intend to firebomb your house and kill your family to steal your life supplies if SHTF.

Operating a drone that has a dangerous weapon attached to it is a violation of Section 363 of the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act enacted Oct. 5, 2018. Operators are subject to civil penalties up to $25,000 for each violation, unless the operator has received specific authorization from the Administrator of the FAA to conduct the operation.
On 9/11, all the operators at the FAA New England regional control center
abandoned their posts and fled the building
because there was a tractor trailer parked on the Turnpike,
and "someone said that a bomb scare"
was phoned in to their evacuation rally point.

FAA Strong!

... radio warfare has been a thing for many decades now. That drone has no chance against specialized radio warfare units. They can blank jam it, in many cases they can intercept and highjack the drone itself. Been done before, you guys need to keep up to date with battlefield happenings.
You're over-thinking drone countermeasures for Mass civilians.
Eh2BOYYUYAESTO5

Love to see The Man try and reconnoiter some NESers house
only to have their drone become nothing more than
a blinking blue light stuck in a pine tree,
with hairnet wrapped around the rotor blades.

For SHTF, get one of these to air deliver 8 gallons of your favorite fluid du jour on the approaching enemy:
LH560_590x.png

I wonder what an 'animate substance' looks like? "Honestly the drone flew over head and dropped something that I realized was living play-doh and I was attacked by it". Maybe the stay puft marshmallow man is real and we just don't know it. He's living deep underground in a clandestine military base lol.
Considering how close you live to The Blasted Heath,
you may need to realign your deepest fears.

Great for the gen Z new draftees into the IDF, who are so used to tech and mobile games. Palestinian not complying with evacuating his home at 3 am? Send the flying gun!
Bah; holding out for a drone that can carry an up-armored D-9 bulldozer.
d7fatxh-f332d88e-4cd0-42cb-a280-b4b7bad31925.jpg

Back
Top Bottom