Smith & Wesson M&P 15 and 556 Ammo

gene

NES Member
Picked up the M&P 15 a couple of days ago and to the range I went today. Along with the rifle, I also picked up some 556x45 (M193) FMJ BT 55gr ammo from the dealer. The rifle shot the ammo fine but the cartridge wouldn't extract after firing. In fact, It took some strength to pull the charging handle and bolt back to extract the cartridge. The rifle IS chambered for 556 Nato but it seems like the case is expanding to the point where it is too tight to extract and eject after firing.

It's a brass case ammo and in every detail appears fine even after being spent. No scratches, marks or other noticable indications. Anyone else out there having a problem similar to this in their own AR's or with this white box ammo? The only other markings on the box are NCD-021 and MBL 0107 and the lot# as well.

By the way, I did have another brand of 223 and shot about 30 rounds of that and they proved through flawless and without incident and with three different magazines.

On the M&P 15, I will say it was a great shooting rifle and I am very happy to have it but the ammo issue concerns me.

Thanks [hmmm]

What brand wouldn't cycle?

It's a brass case ammo and in every detail appears fine even after being spent. No scratches, marks or other noticable indications. Anyone else out there having a problem similar to this in their own AR's or with this white box ammo? The only other markings on the box are NCD-021 and MBL 0107.

No manufacturer name on the box!

It's a brass case ammo and in every detail appears fine even after being spent. No scratches, marks or other noticable indications. Anyone else out there having a problem similar to this in their own AR's or with this white box ammo? The only other markings on the box are NCD-021 and MBL 0107.

No manufacturer name on the box!

Reloads?

Gene I know a handful of guys that own a M&P 15 I haven't heard one negative thing about it yet. I would imagine the ammo you have is crap.

Gene I know a handful of guys that own a M&P 15 I haven't heard one negative thing about it yet. I would imagine the ammo you have is crap.

I've only put 100 rounds though my M&P15FT but I used 50 rounds of Remington UMC .223 and 50 rounds of bulk Federal .223. It was flawless.

I bet your correct since the other ammo shot was flawless. Personally, I never saw or used this particular ammo before. Still swear by the rifle though! Best groups I ever had with the ammo.

Well, I guess from what I hear so far unidentifed ammo is junk!
Live and learn!

Think your right! crap ammo but I gotta tell you I luv the M&P. Sweeeeeet rifle with very small (Tiny) groups! I don't think the issue has anything to do with the rifle. It's definately ammo related.

This rifle will pop a pimple at 100 yrds.

Back
Top Bottom