smith or shop around watertown

i'm looking for someone to examine my new-to-me springfield 1911 a1 to diagnose a thumb safety issue. can anyone recommend someone around watertown/waltham/belmont/cambridge etc?

i'm looking for someone to examine my new-to-me springfield 1911 a1 to diagnose a thumb safety issue. can anyone recommend someone around watertown/waltham/belmont/cambridge etc?

2 shops in waltham, no smiths that I know of, but they may be at the shops. I would recommend Law Enforcement Equipment in Waltham on River St. next to the church.
If you strike out there, there was/is a shop on main st across from the gazebo. If you can stand his attitude, he seems like he has been around long enough to have seen the first coming. He should be able to help.

They do not have a gunsmith there, only a Sig/Glock armorer. What exactly is the problem? We have a couple of members in Watertown.

The only local shops are Roach's in Cambridge and McElhiney's and Law Enforcement Equipment in Waltham. None of them have gunsmiths but they all sell 1911s and probably know how to look at basic issues.

The closest gunsmiths I know of are LaRocca in Worcester and Derr.

With location as a priority... stop in at Roach's Sporting Goods in Cambridge. Right in Porter Square. Great bunch of guys. Ask for Mike or Joe. And like Vellnueve said... no gunsmiths there... but they can tell you if there's a problem or not with your 1911.

the thumb safety either isn't properly engaging or the bit where it blocks the action is malformed so that when i squeeze the trigger with the grip safety depressed and the thumb safety on/up, i can mash through it and get the hammer to drop, which rolls the thumb safety down in the process. the grip safety functions properly, FWIW

They do not have a gunsmith there, only a Sig/Glock armorer. What exactly is the problem? We have a couple of members in Watertown.

The only local shops are Roach's in Cambridge and McElhiney's and Law Enforcement Equipment in Waltham. None of them have gunsmiths but they all sell 1911s and probably know how to look at basic issues.

The closest gunsmiths I know of are LaRocca in Worcester and Derr.

Is the gun still under warranty?

Do you know if the hammer, sear or disconnecter has been swapped out with after market ones?

The thumb safety can require a bit of tweaking/fine tuning if some of those parts have been replaced or honed.

The fix is a new in the rough safety, or peening the engagement point
on the existing safety.

NES member
Greg Durr
is the man you want to contact.

Back
Top Bottom