• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Small Gun, Big Meaning...

(cross posted over at MArooned):

Here's something that, numerically, should have appeared back in March:

MosinNagant91-30andIthacaArmsM-4-1.jpg

This is an Ithaca Arms model M-49, a single-shot .22 (S/L/LR) operated not by bolt but by lever - you literally place the round on top of the action, work the lever to drop it into the chamber, then manually cock the hammer. No safety, no tubular magazine, just a single round sitting on top.

It's entirely unremarkable except for one thing: This will be my son's first gun. It's small (short) enough to fit his body; it's fairly heavy, which will soak up every last ounce of recoil; and there's so little to go wrong that it is, for all intents and purposes, indestructible. Which is good when talking about 7 year old boys...

As of August 4th I'll (finally) be a member at a local (4 miles away!) gun club with a 100 yard rifle range, a 25 yard pistol range, and a 50 foot indoor range.

I expect to be posting my son's first range report next month.

Another new shooter. In the Volksrepublik of Massa-f***ing-chusetts. Ted Kennedy will cry.

That is all.

jdubois got it. It's a dummy tube, my guess would be so it looks like a traditional lever action rifle.

In any case, I can't think of a more perfect first gun. Especially considering the lineage...

I bet your son is totally hyped about this, JayG!! I was in WalMart today to get some ammo - and a dad and son came up to the counter. While we were waiting for a clerk, the boy was asking all these questions...he was so anxious to get out there and shoot....[grin]

A falling block as a first rifle, very cool.

NO. It's a Martini action.

The block pivots down from a pin in the rear; it does not drop.

An Ithaca Saddle Gun (Deluxe Model, thank you very much) was MY first gun as well. I also have a real Martini-Henry Mk. IV (as in Zulu and Man Who Would Be King) and, therefore, know the difference.

The Ithaca will be the first real gun (as opposed to a BB gun) my youngest goddaughter will learn to shoot on later this month. Should her parents permit (not expected to be a problem) and delivery can be arranged, it will be her first real gun.

Carry it on.

Last edited:
the model 49 was my first gun.i loved it.it even came with a leather saddle holster back in 1976.great choice for your son

Scrivener,

According to the MartiniHenry site, the Martini action is a falling-block:

The Martini-Henry Rifle is a weapon of Empire. Unlike the Snider-Enfield it replaced, it was England's first service rifle designed from the ground up as a breechloading metallic cartridge firearm. It protected and served the British Empire and her colonies for over 30 years. This robust weapon utilized a falling block, self-cocking, lever operated, single-shot action designed by Friedrich von Martini of Switzerland.

So we're all right!

I know precious little about either action, so I don't really have a dog in this hunt. But it's possible that both are correct (it is a falling block action and a Martini).

NO. It's a Martini action.

The block pivots down from a pin in the rear; it does not drop.

An Ithaca Saddle Gun (Deluxe Model, thank you very much) was MY first gun as well. I also have a real Martini-Henry Mk. IV (as in Zulu and Man Who Would Be King) and, therefore, know the difference.

The Ithaca will be the first real gun (as opposed to a BB gun) my youngest goddaughter will learn to shoot on later this month. Should her parents permit (not expected to be a problem) and delivery can be arranged, it will be her first real gun.

Carry it on.

Your Son should love shooting that gun. When you mentioned that the M 49 was a single shot I couldn’t believe it, seeing the tube under the barrel. Well I Googled it and found out that they make both, with one having a “false” tube under the barrel . . . live and learn I guess. Looking forward to hearing about the range report. Below is the short article I Googled.
shooter.gif

ithaca49.jpg

Ithaca Model 49 .22 caliber

The M 49 was sold as a tube magazine fed repeater or a single shot with a false tube magazine.
Features:
 Hardwood stock with pressed checkering and hard plastic butt plate.
 Aluminum receiver.
 V notch rear sight, stepped wedge adjustable for elevation.
 Chambered for .22 short, long, and long rifle.
 Length of pull 13 7/8”.
 Barrel length 18”.
 Over all length 35”.

I finally got to take the Ithaca 49 to the range. I bought the little single shot twenty plus years ago in poor shape as my first project gun while going to Gunsmith school. The rifle has been refinished and the checkering hand cut following the original pressed pattern. Shooting in a twenty-five yard indoor range at paper targets was a challenge for my 53-year-old eyes.

The best group I produced was a five shot ¾ inch horizontal string using PMC .22 long rifle target ammunition modified using the Paco ACU’RZR tool. A group without using the tool was only a fraction larger. Perforating tin cans in the backyard puts this rifle to better use than shooting paper targets at an indoor range. A combination of lightweight, low recoil, and simple, basic operation makes the Ithaca 49 a good choice for beginners.

Brien

Scrivener,

According to the MartiniHenry site, the Martini action is a falling-block:

So we're all right!

I made the distinction because what is commonly referred to as a "falling block" action operates vertically; the whole breechblock drops down like an elevator.

In a Martini action, the block pivots. In each, the top of the block is a loading ramp. In a true Martini action, the lever also cocks the internal action.

The Ithaca preserves the classic Henry/Winchester design element of an external hammer, which must be manually cocked in the single-shot model. This feature, together with the gun's size, makes it doubly-safe and, thus, a superb first gun for a child.

Back
Top Bottom