Small fishing boat

wjsmall97

NES Member
I am looking into getting a Lund WC-14 boat with a Merc 9.9 motor. Anyone use one of these ? I was also wondering if the motor was going to be big enough.
Not planning to go out on any big waters or the ocean. Also is it better to get most of the stuff needed from the dealer, or maybe like Bass Pro (gas tank, deep cell battery, and other stuff that is needed for safe boating and legality). I already have 2 life vest from my kayaks. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks, Bill

I have the SSV 14 with a 20 and it moves. Yours will be plenty for your intent. Mercury supplies the tank normally, as most manufacturers do. For safety, Wally World sells a flare kit called the “laker flare kit.” Get a whistle, first aid kit and a good flash light and you should be good. Also, get a decent anchor.

My dad had a WC 14 with a 9.9 Evinrude. While it’s not a rocket ship I’ve always felt it’s plenty of power for a fishing boat. The Lund’s are a tank well made. As far as accessories I’d shop around.

I had a 14' Sylvan with pedestal seats, decking and live well, powered by a 9.9 HP Honda. For a single person, it was great. I removed the limiter on the throttle linkage, and that thing would easily do 18 mph on flat water. With two passengers aboard, it was okay for fishing. But this one time... We were on a river, and a storm was moving in. I was wishing that boat had a bigger motor on it.

That's a good combo if you like to fish different lakes, as some of them have 10 HP limits. The 9.9 designation was made to sell more motors in places with a 10 HP limit.

Thanks Guys for the info. Good to hear the gas tank should come with the motor, saves some money for other items.
Bill

That boat is pretty light so the 9.9 is fine. I've got a BPS welded Jon boat in the 14' range - slow as mole-asses with a 9.9. Because it has to be 2-3x as heavy.

There's a v-hull type aluminum boat for sale at M&B Sports (near Foxwoods). I think it's a Grumman; those offered by Sears back in the day. Don't know if there's an engine with it, but it may be a cheap way to get a small boat. No price info available, but call Warren...

One consideration. If most of the bodies of water you will put it on have motor size restrictions you will need the 9.9 or have to rely on a trolling motor, and that's way less than 9.9.

How many places have a restriction??? I mean, I work under one, but it's residents only anyhow. Quabbin is 25. (I wish Assawompsett was 25. :( Although we can have pontoons. So. . . . maybe 20 and pontoons???) I don't go elsewhere so I don't know.

I would think for unknown and many-small ponds and a 14' V-hull, a 9.9 would be sufficient anyhoo, though. Plus it lets you more easily muscle the boat around AND you can just pull the motor to take in for service instead of bringing the whole boat in.

I have the same boat, 1999 Lund 14ft adventure series, running a 05 Johnson 9.9 four stroke. When I fished Quabbin years back every weekend for years, it propelled me at 21mph. With a guest it was around 17, 18mph. I've handled monster storm waves on Quab in this boat. Double riveted hull, It's a very solid vessel. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom