Slow Saturday Drive, and High Power Return

Went on a leisurely countryside ride last week and stopped by the local shop, expecting to see a lot of AR-15's, modern bolt actions and pistols - the usual fare.

But there was one out of place brown holster which the owner pulled from the safe and placed on the counter. "It belongs to the widow of a collector, and she's asking $1,300."

Inside the holster was a FN Browning P-35 with tangent sight and Nazi acceptance stamps. Nice gun, but priced a little high. I asked if he could call the owner with an offer. He agreed to contact her during the week.

So this this Saturday, I took another slow countryside drive to see how things went. She had accepted the offer. I believe that the widow and I came to a fair price for each, and I got to take a High Power on the drive home.

During Nazi occupation of Belgium from the Spring of 1940 to the Fall of 1944, they continued to produce the P-35 High Power at Fabrique Nationale. The Germans used three Waffenamt codes, WaA613, WaA103, and WaA140. Approximately 100,000 were built with the adjustable tangent rear sight, before the fixed rear sight was introduced around serial number 150,000 and through the end of occupation.

Mine is one of the last to have the tangent sight at serial 142,518. It has a few finish boo-boos, with splotchy thin grip straps and a little (chemical?) bluing loss on the rear of the right slide. Grips have moderate wear and some staining. But overall, it's a decent looking gun. The mag is not WaA140 stamped, and may not be original.

The holster is a dla 43 make with the WaA195. It's a little newer than the pistol, but I'll take it. The spare mag appears to be unmarked and post-war.

Pics, and thanks for looking.

NIGkYEKl.jpg

2KSLAfJl.jpg

Lgk4JU2l.jpg

InSRbJ6l.jpg

gTCGMKYl.jpg

sY9sJh6l.jpg

BnZR5nUl.jpg

o26FVnjl.jpg

ij3wWL1l.jpg

DmDrinDl.jpg

FCgKDbOl.jpg

7BLtd7pl.jpg

Vsu0eHbl.jpg

aYqtGBJl.jpg

U0S1TJil.jpg

ivoe7Mbl.jpg

Z0mfzV1l.jpg

obDSedNl.jpg

C7iNi7zl.jpg

Amazing pistol! Didn't these come with detachable stocks? Or am I thinking of a different pistol with tangent sights?

Amazing pistol! Didn't these come with detachable stocks? Or am I thinking of a different pistol with tangent sights?

Only the earliest German occupation production still had the stock slots, about 5,000 units. Pre and post-war (Inglis) had stock slots.

I hear the grouping gets erratic at 450 meters. FYI. [rolleyes]

Excellent pickup.

Back
Top Bottom