Slinging in

Or... how tight is tight enough?
Pulled my front sling swivel open this season on my M1A. Replaced with a welded model. Last weekend I ripped out the front sling swivel and chunk of wood out of my stock on the first shoot.
Gus won't be able to bed my rifle to my new stock in time for the 3x600 next month in Hampden.
Pulled out the NM service rifle I put together using a RRA upper.
Was practicing positions and sling tension. On my second drop to the deck, I ripped the front swivel and post right off the upper.............
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
WTF??
How does one know when the sling is snug enough but not damaging to the rifle????
RRA says turnaround should only be a couple of days.
:-(

Or... how tight is tight enough?
Pulled my front sling swivel open this season on my M1A. Replaced with a welded model. Last weekend I ripped out the front sling swivel and chunk of wood out of my stock on the first shoot.
Gus won't be able to bed my rifle to my new stock in time for the 3x600 next month in Hampden.
Pulled out the NM service rifle I put together using a RRA upper.
Was practicing positions and sling tension. On my second drop to the deck, I ripped the front swivel and post right off the upper.............
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
WTF??
How does one know when the sling is snug enough but not damaging to the rifle????
RRA says turnaround should only be a couple of days.
:-(

I don't know anything at all about slings and shooting, but it sure sounds like you are pulling it too hard!

For Christ's sake, Sgt. O, sounds like you've been hitting the dumbells a little hard! Start calling you "The World's Strongest Airborne Veterinarian".
I wish I had gotten a pic of you with that broken stock.

Question: do you use the same sling tension when you shoot prone slowfire? Your wrist must get awfully cramped up after about 10 rds or so. Try loosening up a set of holes or two and see how that feels.

Robert
If you're breaking stuff, it's too tight! You're welcome to shoot my M1A at Hampden on the 8th. It's double lugged, and has an Obermyer 5R barrel and heavy match stock. Your ammo or mine. Let me know.
If you want, I'll take a look at your sling technique and give you some pointers.
The sling needs to be tight, but not so tight your ripping parts off the gun. It should be tight enough that you can't just put the gun into your shoulder, it shouldn't be too comfortable either, but it shouldn't hurt. Breaking your gun hurts.
Dave

Thanks guys.
Dave and Pat: I'll let you know if I need a rifle when the time gets a little closer.
I use the same sling tension for prone rapid and slowfire positions. My sitting is pretty tight too but a couple holes tighter than prone. I'll have to make some adjustments. I thought the numb finger thing was generally accepted as proper. Again, I'll have to make some adjustments.
What a great bunch of people.
Thanks

I relaxed the tension tonight with the M1A. I put it in my spare USGI birch that I got from Pat (after opening up the channel some to clear the wide oprod guide). My groups opened up some and my zero is different but I think it's going to work for right now. I just have to shoot a little better to make up for it :)

sling tightness

If you adjust your sling too tight you will induce pulse from your upper arm into the hold. Also a danger exist of straining your forearm muscles. The sling should be firm but not guitar string tight. It should be tight enough to carry the weight of the rifle, anything else is going to induce pulse or tremor.
Just my 2c.

Back
Top Bottom