sks/wolf

I just got a norinco sks, and shot 20 rounds of wolf 124 grain. Some of the rounds did not go off, the firing pin hit them, made a dent in the primer, but the round didnt go off. I had to reload the round back in, and then it fired. Is it a problem with my bolt/pin not hitting hard enough, or the ammo?

I've got a 59/66 Yugo SKS, and have shot probably 1,500 rounds of Wolf FMJ. I only remember maybe one "dud" that didn't fire after repeated strikes. I don't remember any that didn't go off after the first strike.

Maybe there's some crud in your firing pin channel that's not allowing the pin to travel all the way forward? [thinking]

I'd guess the inside of the bolt has gunk in it and it's not allowing the FP to function properly. It's typical of sks's when they come soaked in cosmo.

Clean out the bolt and It should be ok. If you don't want to take the bolt apart, soak the bolt assembly in solvent overnight, shake it out and dry it off. I've had good luck that way.

If you haven't cleaned the bolt inside and out, that could be a problem with the firing pin not working properly. Most likely though its because some batches of Wolf ammo have hard primers. Usually the grey steel cased ammo.
I have a Russian SKS that will only shoot 5 out of 10 rounds when I use this particular ammo.
Try a different brand like Golden Tiger. Just be sure to stay away from the US made commercial ammo like Winchester because their primers are too soft and since the firing pin rides against the primer when the SKS chambers the next round, it could go full auto on you.

yes, i saw your post on the full auto, I my shell casings are dark gray. I took the rifle apart yesterday, and it was real clean inside. I still cleaned the gas tube and oiled the bolt and carrier. Ill have to take the bolt apart and check it out. Thanks

i just cleaned out as much of the bolt as i could. I got the extractor free and its spring. I had some black greasy stuff on it, i dont know what "cosmo" looks like or its color, so i wiped it off and cleaned it with wd40. I couldnt get the pin that holds the firing pin and extractor all the way out, so the firing pin sayed in the block. I cleaned as much of it as i could and sprayed it with wd40 also. Im gonna see if that helped. Also what do you recommend for lube or oil to use, I only have wd40 around and no gun oil. Can a little motor oil work?

If there is crap in the bolt assembly, it will most likely be in the bolt where the pin goes thru the front of the bolt. I'd concentrate your cleaning efforts there. When you're pretty sure it's clean, reassemble - no lube. Lube will only catch crap and restrict firing pin movement. When together, you should hear the pin rattle around freely inside when you shake it.

i just cleaned out as much of the bolt as i could. I got the extractor free and its spring. I had some black greasy stuff on it, i dont know what "cosmo" looks like or its color, so i wiped it off and cleaned it with wd40. I couldnt get the pin that holds the firing pin and extractor all the way out, so the firing pin sayed in the block. I cleaned as much of it as i could and sprayed it with wd40 also. Im gonna see if that helped. Also what do you recommend for lube or oil to use, I only have wd40 around and no gun oil. Can a little motor oil work?

The black on there was probably a mixture of residue from the Wolf ammo and left over grease inside the bolt. Most Norincos are pretty clean from the minute you get them because its rare to find one that hasn't been shot and then sold here in the US.
Still the rifle should be completely disasembled, bolt and all, and cleaned. This lets you get familiar with how the rifle works and will often help you ID any troubles (if at all) you may encounter while shooting it.
Follow the steps here on bolt disasembly: http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/boltdisassemble/hs.asp
along with the stickies I've posted in the surplus section and you should be all set.
As far as any lubes or oils, I use either a little Break Free or Kroil on the moving parts like the bolt hold open latch and the trigger assembly. A little goes a long way and since the SKS was a battle rifle built for severe conditions, they need very little care to function well.
The only other thing I do is after I take a bolt apart I spray the firing pin with Remington Dri-Lube and wipe it before putting it back together. The teflon like residue dri-lube leaves on the metal helps prevent it from getting gummed with moisture or powder residue and lets it move freely in the bolt.
I'd still get some different ammo though. For some reason the grey steel cased Wolf just doesn't function well in most SKS rifles. Save that stuff for an AK, thats what I do.[wink]

i shot 140 rounds today, with about 30% of the rounds not firing on first hit of primer. At about the end of shooting, I put 7 rounds in and all 7 did not fire. Same with the next 5. So im thinking bad bolt?

i shot 140 rounds today, with about 30% of the rounds not firing on first hit of primer. At about the end of shooting, I put 7 rounds in and all 7 did not fire. Same with the next 5. So im thinking bad bolt?

If you've cleaned the bolt and still using the grey cased Wolf ammo, its bad ammo.

I just took out the firing pin, and it was very clean, so maybe your right, it maybe ammo. Anyway, is it safe to handle that ammo that has a dent in the primer. When ever i get one, I extract it slowly and point the round down range because im scared a little touch may set it off. I reload them real carefully too.

I don't think Wolf ammo can be reloaded.

I just noticed you're in CT. You can have ammo mail ordered to you. Do a search for either Golden Tiger, Brown Bear, Hot Shot, Barnaul or any other 7.62x39 that is military grade ammo and you should find a place to buy through mail order and get a few different boxes.
Then after trying a few different types you can be sure whether or not it was the Wolf ammo or your bolt.

When I said reloading I ment putting the non fired rounds that didnt go off the first time, back in the gun to shoot again. I found brown bear on sportsmans guide and will order sometime when I get my AK.

When I said reloading I ment putting the non fired rounds that didnt go off the first time, back in the gun to shoot again. I found brown bear on sportsmans guide and will order sometime when I get my AK.

Hoffman's Guns on the Berlin Tpke.(Newington) sells Brown Bear if you're near there.Also FYI,unless you're inhereting an AK...they ARE illegal in CT(ban list).Only one's allowed now are ak's registered before ban and inheretance.[wink]

never had a problem with the .223 or 5.56 wolf. out of about 3,000 rounds, maybe 2 or 3 duds that i can recall.

may have been a bad batch of primers or maybe the bolt.

Back
Top Bottom