• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS question

I am not sure If I asked this question before.

My SKS does not have a bayonet, but it has the bayonet lug on it. I assume the previous owner just took it off since the lug is still there. Is it kosher for me to put a bayonet on it?

There is a gray area when it comes to SKS rifles and laws. I know a small amount were imported without bayonets and from what I understand putting a bayonet on one of those rifles is a no no, but whos to know unless you look up factory codes, dates, etc. and compare it to the list of ones that were imported w/out? Someone could have put a correct bayonet on it before you bought it and you wouldn't have known any diferent.
Theres a good amount of info here if you do some digging through old posts regarding SKS' and laws.

Side note: You know you've been here a long time when you post a statement about searching and after re-reading it you feel like you're reading a post from Len.[laugh]

from my understanding I believe the chinese ground off the bayonet lugs of the rifles they imported in order to make them "sporting guns" after importation was restricted. Hence the presence of the lug on my SKS makes me think I proboboly can put one back on.

I don't know any better and may be completely wrong, but since the presence of the lug itself and not the bayonet is what constitutes the "evil feature", shouldn't it be OK to add a bayonet to any rifle that has the lug?

I don't know any better and may be completely wrong, but since the presence of the lug itself and not the bayonet is what constitutes the "evil feature", shouldn't it be OK to add a bayonet to any rifle that has the lug?

It has nothing to do with the AWB if that's what you're thinking.

The problem arises from the sporting purpose clause and importation.

There is a gray area when it comes to SKS rifles and laws. I know a small amount were imported without bayonets and from what I understand putting a bayonet on one of those rifles is a no no, but whos to know unless you look up factory codes, dates, etc. and compare it to the list of ones that were imported w/out? Someone could have put a correct bayonet on it before you bought it and you wouldn't have known any diferent.

From what I understand the key word in the law is assemble/assembly/assembled"... there's no mention of possession.

Back
Top Bottom