• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS: Plinker Extrodanaire

The Goose

NES Member
A few years back I picked up a Yugo SKS and several pounds of cosmolene. It was winter and cleaning it up made a good indoor project. I stripped that SKS down further then any gun I had ever owned. I knocked out every pin that I could knock out. I sent the trigger group off to Tom Prince (aka Kevaari) to be re-worked. Every day after work I would take just one or two parts and meticuouosly clean it. When every little piece had been cleaned and re-cleaned I worked on the stock. After cleaning I began adding layers of Tung oil. I would slowly rub in the oil, wait a day or so and repeat. This process was followed by waxing. Finally after several weeks I, almost sadly, deemed the job complete. I took my "new" rifle to the 25 yard indoor range, put about 50 rds through it, stuck it in the safe and there it sat until yesterday. Every time I went to shoot it seemed that there was something newer or more glamorous to shoot.

So yesterday on a whim I stuck the SKS in the trunk and brought it along. I shot a few other guns and as a last effort finally loaded up the SKS. I shot a paper target at 50 yards with decent accuracy. I cannot see much beyond 50 yards with iron sights. The SKS shot well, but no big deal. Then I moved over to the 50 yard plinking range. As usual there was a bunch of old targets on the dirt berm. Broken clays, shotgun shells,some plastic lids etc. I started just plinking at objects and I was hitting everything I aimed at. No matter how small I could hit and it would fly. This was getting better. It was fun, a lot of fun. The light recoil of the SKS made recovery very fast. I could hit targets multiple times or make them bounce. What a delight. 140 rds later I was out of ammo.

So, my ugly duckling has become a swan. The Yugo SKS is just plain fun to shoot and I HIGHLY recommend it.

I have had many chances to add a good quality/condition SKS to my collection and have passed it over. With the ever increasing costs I kick myself everytime I turn a tag to see it would be more $ and not as nice quality as I have seen before. I will not continue to make that mistake as soon as I see a beauty again its mine.

Back
Top Bottom