• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Six Month Wait for Fingerprinting (in CT)?

I just took my Pistol Safety course this weekend, and was all set to make my appointment to get fingerprinted and get my permit process rolling. I called my town PD today and was told there's a six-month wait to get fingerprinted for pistol permits!

Six months...is that even legal? Is this happening everywhere in Connecticut, or am I just unlucky enough to live here?

Don't know but can you try a different agency? Perhaps a SP Barracks? Or the PD where you work? PD one town over?

Good luck!

That is complete bullshit. You should take it to the supreme court.

As I understand it, I have to go through the town where I live to get a temporary permit, and then take that to the state police barracks in my area for the permanent one.

Everything I've read has said to expect the process to take from 3-8 weeks. I was speechless when the detective told me the first available appointment was in October.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was just a wait to be able to carry, since that's not even my primary intention. But it CT, I can't even buy a handgun without the permit.

Yeah my buddy was told the samething from New Britain. I would bet this is an artificial time line. But i dont know how you can fight it. Try going to the station and ask them when they do fingerprinting (my town only does it on monday morning). Tell them you have two reasons, one being a job. I was fingerprinted before I worked for my neighbors daycare when I was younger, and bus drivers are also required to be fingerprinted. Make sure you have all the paperwork filled out when you go (and notarized). Bring your money order And bring the letters of reference, some stations don't require them, but since they are already giving you problems don't make it easier for them to refuse you.

This way when you go get fingerprinted for your "job" you can have them take your paperwork at the same time. For your job make sure you tell them you need to take the set with you.

You other option is if you have relatives in a different town, fill out your paperwork as if you live their. Go to that towns PD and have them send the papers to your relitives address. Then when you go to get the permit you file it as if you have moved. This does work, worst case, is you must call the dmv and tel them to change your drivers license adress (no need to get a new ID) Then just change it back. This works because some people have multiple residents with in our state.

Does the PD impose a similar wait in persons who require fingerprints for other reasons (immigrations applications, security clearances, etc.)?

Did they give you the application package? Did it include the fingerprint card?

Rob asks a good question: does this apply to all fingerprinting or just for pistol permits? If it's for all fingerprinting, fine. Well, not fine... but at least they aren't just screwing with pistol permits

If the package they gave you did not include a fingerprint card call them up and ask for one. Tell them you understand they are busy and you'd like to help them out by getting the fingerprints done at another department.

Meriden specifically states that an applicant can go to DPS in Middletown for fingerprints to avoid a wait, but my wait in town was only two days - in February.

I'm not an average sheeple taxpayer, so you may not comfortable with this approach . . .

If it were me, I'd politely be discussing this with the appointing authority (selectmen/mayor/town manager) the same or next day!

This is straight BS! It takes NMT 5 minutes of any officer's time at the PD to do prints and it's part of their job.

I haven't lived in CT for >30 years and never asked for/obtained any services when I did live there. In my current location, I never have to wait more than 30 minutes to get prints taken. I do call the PD to find out what time would be convenient for them, as oftentimes there is nobody but a dispatcher (non-LEO) in the station after 4PM.

I haven't dont it recently, but in my town there are no appointments for fingerprints, you just show up any weekday at either 8:00am or 4:00pm and they print whoever is there. It doesn't even take five minutes a person. Agreed with LenS I would be talking with an elected person of authority about it, some who has to be at least a little accountable to the people of the town.

that is moronic. could you get them done at another pd and bring the card in? what town/city is this?

For reference, you actually have the town do the background check, or send it out for one. From their the town issues (or requests issue of temp permit). The department of safety just gives you the actual license.

My town uses that electronic system unless you need to take the prints with you (say to an employer). So you go in with the application, get printed, pay the fee, and the same PD Mails you a the TEMP, or a letter to come pick it up.

If you do not have a PD then your Resident State Trooper can do it.

I went up to DPS in Middletown, since I was in the area for something else today, and was able to get my prints done in 10 minutes. If the Stratford PD had said that was an option, I would've been mildly annoyed, but not upset. I'll make that suggestion when I call to cancel my October appointment with them.

I did fire off a stern, but polite email to my mayor and state congressman about the situation right after I first posted. I heard back from the congressman's aide, but not the mayor. I'll follow up and see if they have an explanation.

The saga continues. Before I was able to bring in my application, I got a call from a detective today telling me the PD got some more resources and was able to move my fingerprinting appt up to July. Guess the mayor got my email after all.

I told him I had already gotten my prints done at DPS, but he said they won't accept them unless they're done by Stratford PD.

Now that's B@llshit! I would Re-write those letters explaining the NEW situation.
I would also figure out who else should get a letter or a call, maybe the state police and or the DPS.
Another GOOD resource is the local news TV or Print.

Last edited:
I agree it's time to raise hell.

Your local keystone cops are pissed because you dared not be intimidated by their bullcrap. It's time to turn on the heat. Personal appointment with the police chief, mayor, or your city councilman.

Unfortunately this is SOP for a few municipalities in CT. Since the statutes establish a deadline for processing an application, they delay the application process itself.

It's a toss-up. Comply with their requests, or protest. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that either response will shorten the process.

"Illegitimi non carborundum"
~Senator Barry Goldwater

Crap. I haven't even taken my pistol permit class- that is the 7th for me. Is this what I have to look forward to! My dislike for CT deepens with each passing year.

That is complete and utter crap. Don't be a sheep. Go speak with the mayor. Make an appointment, be civil.

You may want to start by asking for the statute that requires them to fingerprint the applicant.

I'm a pistol instructor and I've never heard of that crap.
I also live in a small town where there may not be anyone at the PD during the day. The SOP here is to go down to the state barracks and get printed there. The town takes the State police prints just fine.

That is just so freaking wrong what they are doing. Amazing that the cops are breaking the law.

Don

Some cities and towns seem to do this, but it seems more common that they set a time each week when they do prints. Here it's a two hour window on Tuesday during lunch time, and there is almost always a wait. Still, I'd say the people conducting it were pleasant and helpful when I did it. Once I had the town's temporary, getting the state police to issue the final was a matter of a visit to them and less than an hour.

I doubt that you will get the police dept to change it's policies, but complaining to a local official is not a bad idea. The squeaky wheels get the grease, so squeak. Just don't do so in a way that puts your permit in jeopardy.

Police departments depend on people being sheep. Their policies are irrelevant. What matters is the LAW.

The instructions for the temporary permit say "complete a state and federal fingerprint card". I think that the state police should be able to accomplish that if your local yocals are too "busy".

Amazingly enough, fingerprints are not required by statute if you can prove to your local authority to their satisfaction that you are who you say you are. Although this is practically never done, you can use this fact as a negotiating tactic.

Here is the bottom line. You pay taxes. They work for you. Treat it like any other customer satisfaction problem. Speak to the boss. Move up the food chain.

Don p.s. making a stink will not "put your permit in jeopardy". Hitting your wife will.

Holding the police to a standard of service that YOU pay THEM to provide wont hurt anything. As always, be firm but polite. I've found that refering to the specific CT general statute when rebutting them is helpful. (29-28a)

Back
Top Bottom