Site Tower Removal

Anybody have any ideas on getting out the taper pins on the site tower of an AR15. I have Brownell's site tower block, but the pins won't budge. I am trying to put a new free float Larue rail on my M & P. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd heard horror stories about the pin removal but I took the low tech approach and they came out without much trouble, YMMV.

I started with a steel punch (yes it will mar the finish, but new pins are cheap) just smaller than the pins and a big heavy ballpeen hammer. I backed the tower with a piece of 2x4 and gave the pins a good solid hit. The pins are tappered so make sure you drive the smaller diameter side. As soon as I felt/saw movement I finished with a smaller hammer and tapped them out. You've got to give them a good shot initially. I don't think a little penetrating oil will hurt either.

Last edited:
I have a set in a Colt barrel that refused to come out. Had to be drilled out.

Heated them, banged them, they wouldn't budge.
I'd try heating the front sight assembly with a torch, that usually helps.

It can be tough to tell which side has the taper end. Consult an AR parts diagram (google!)--I forget which side it is and I don't have my book on me. They're often inserted at the factory with a hydraulic press and the narrow ends tend to mushroom.

If they really don't want to come out, put a few drops of penetrating oil on them and let it sit overnight. In the morning, pound away.

I have a set in a Colt barrel that refused to come out. Had to be drilled out.

Heated them, banged them, they wouldn't budge.
I'd try heating the front sight assembly with a torch, that usually helps.

You heated the sight mount and not the pin correct.. I never had any issues getting them out on my guns???

Lucky one or twice perhaps???

[rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom