M4 Barrel And Front Site question

jayhitek

NES Member
Noob AR Build question. Thanks for you patience..
I have this Daniel Defense Barrel.

I want to install a Specter length Quad Rail over the gas block.
And then can I install a standard looking A2 front site on the forward barrel notches closer to the muzzle brake?

2016-07-25 07.49.14.jpg

And then can I install a standard looking A2 front site on the forward barrel notches closer to the muzzle brake?

View attachment 173050

If you measure the barrel at that spot you might find its slightly small then the gas block areas .74 vs .75. A standard pinned front sight will be too lose of a fit .
I've helped with two builds . One we found a .625 sight and reamed it to a tight fit . The other was a clamp on front sight . Not the set screw type.
The bottom has a slit cut through it with cross bolts . That be your easyier way todo it .

View attachment 173050

Is your question about is the specter long enough to cover the block or about the installation of the FSB? I think the specter is long enough for the Carbine gas port. Check the YHM site. They may have the measurements there. If your question is about installing the FSB where you have to drill the barrel and use pins, then I would have someone who has the tools and know how to do that. If you screw it up it will be off center.

However, many companies make a FSB that clamps on the barrel, or at least did when I did a similar project some years ago. YHM did make those as well. I think mine stayed in place with a set screw secured into the barrel as well as four screws clamping both halves of the site. Other than influencing harmonics, the clamp-on should be good to go.

Dave

You're talking about the diameter of the barrel at that spot?
Here's the model number.
I'm not home to measure it.
uploadfromtaptalk1469463251493.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Any reason you wouldn't want to just use a rail mount front sight?

I've got a spectre length YHM rail, and it does extend past a carbine length gas block.

You're talking about the diameter of the barrel at that spot?
Here's the model number.
I'm not home to measure it.
View attachment 173053

Did you put that gas block on ? If it didn't get tight till you got it to the current position you'll need a clamp style .

Is your question about is the specter long enough to cover the block or about the installation of the FSB? I think the specter is long enough for the Carbine gas port. Check the YHM site. They may have the measurements there. If your question is about installing the FSB where you have to drill the barrel and use pins, then I would have someone who has the tools and know how to do that. If you screw it up it will be off center.

However, many companies make a FSB that clamps on the barrel, or at least did when I did a similar project some years ago. YHM did make those as well. I think mine stayed in place with a set screw secured into the barrel as well as four screws clamping both halves of the site. Other than influencing harmonics, the clamp-on should be good to go.

Dave
I like the look of the FSB front sight.
And I could remove the factory installed gas block and install a FSB site in its place.

Or I'm hoping I can go longer than carbine length hand guard and cover the gas block with specter.
Then install and FSB look alike further down the barrel where those other notches are..

Any reason you wouldn't want to just use a rail mount front sight?

I've got a spectre length YHM rail, and it does extend past a carbine length gas block.
I also like the folding FSB style. Look of the classic with the advantages of modern technology.

I like the look of the FSB front sight.
And I could remove the factory installed gas block and install a FSB site in its place.

Or I'm hoping I can go longer than carbine length hand guard and cover the gas block with specter.
Then install and FSB look alike further down the barrel where those other notches are..

You want a dissipator build. Rifle length stock with carbine gas system .
You'll need one of these
7ee361bd95e4f3d9b7630692044e9df2.jpg

Standard pinned style won't work .

And it abuts the indent on the front of the barrel just like the gas block abuts the other indent?

It may be moot now with the blowup of the MA AWB, but keep in mind that whatever you put on becomes permanent if you decide to pin the muzzle brake. The clamp-ons will not slide over most muzzle devices.

Just my 2 cents, but the classic A2 front sight really only looks good with a standard handguard (with delta ring, etc...) and is kind of weird with a free float rail. The FF tube would also be difficult to remove/replace if you decide to pin the muzzle brake.

I see your point, but I was thinking it would give me the flexibility of installing a red dot or any other optic in the future if I wanted..

- - - Updated - - -

Do you plan to run optics most of the time ? If so just get a rail mount sight you'll save weight . If you plan to use only iron sights buy a fixed sight .

I see your point, but I was thinking it would give me the flexibility of installing a red dot or any other optic in the future if I wanted..

It may be moot now with the blowup of the MA AWB, but keep in mind that whatever you put on becomes permanent if you decide to pin the muzzle brake. The clamp-ons will not slide over most muzzle devices.

Just my 2 cents, but the classic A2 front sight really only looks good with a standard handguard (with delta ring, etc...) and is kind of weird with a free float rail. The FF tube would also be difficult to remove/replace if you decide to pin the muzzle brake.

Excellent point as well.
I have a Colt M4 Complete upper with the classic steel front sight.
FIgured if I am building another one, I could very well make this one with a slight modern take to it. Like a quad hand guard with rail and the modern take on the classic front sight with the fold down.

But now that you mention the brake.. I may go with the rail front sight like mentioned before and a longer hand guard.

Now I have thinking to do! Again..

Excellent point as well.
I have a Colt M4 Complete upper with the classic steel front sight.
FIgured if I am building another one, I could very well make this one with a slight modern take to it. Like a quad hand guard with rail and the modern take on the classic front sight with the fold down.

But now that you mention the brake.. I may go with the rail front sight like mentioned before and a longer hand guard.

Now I have thinking to do! Again..

I'd skip the quad rail , and look for a free float that uses Mlok or keymod . It's nice to have rails only where you want them . Vs the cheese grater effect .

Idk man, I could get down with a set up like this.

5516d296e15d0a47a2775628dc9d2bcd.jpg

I'd skip the quad rail , and look for a free float that uses Mlok or keymod . It's nice to have rails only where you want them . Vs the cheese grater effect .

whoops. I meant the free float when I was taking about the quad rail. I like the look of the circlular tube shape. But now also considering the fold down rail front sight like previously suggested.
Lots to think about now.

Dave

I had a 'duh' moment. I called DD to ask about the pin at the bottom of the gas block. It's only partially in and I asked if I should knock it all the way in or is it half way in on purpose.
Said that if it's just a barrel, the factory only partially pins it so you can remove the gas block to install the Barrel Nut..

hahaha oops! Wasn't even thinking about the barrel nut. Good thing I didn't touch anything yet.

If you measure the barrel at that spot you might find its slightly small then the gas block areas .74 vs .75. A standard pinned front sight will be too lose of a fit .
I've helped with two builds . One we found a .625 sight and reamed it to a tight fit . The other was a clamp on front sight . Not the set screw type.
The bottom has a slit cut through it with cross bolts . That be your easyier way todo it .

Even though the profile is .01 smaller, the taper pin install will still work on the front of that barrel with an FSB that isn't part of the gas system. I tapped the hole on the bottom of the FSB for an allen screw, and used that to hold the FSB against the barrel while I drilled & reamed for the taper pins. Once you've installed the taper pins the allen can come out - the taper pins won't care that there's a .010 gap on the bottom of the barrel. Did this on a dedicated 22 upper 5 or six years ago when I wanted to create a dissipator layout and the only profiles I could find were 16" M4 or 20" HBAR.

Back
Top Bottom