• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sistema

Hey Guys, I'm looking through my C&R book and can't find the Sistema. Do you guys know what it is listed under? Thanks
Tom

Ok i found this after doing some searching:

Argentine D.G.F.M. - (F.M.A.P.) System Colt model 1927, cal. 11.25mm commercial variations. .

Now does that mean that all model 1927 sistemas are eligible for C&R? This will be my first C&R purchase, so please bare with me, I just don't want to make a mistake and get into serious trouble for it. Thanks again guys

Tom

As set out in the regulations (27 CFR 178.11), curios or relics include firearms which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1.) Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;
2.) Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
3.) Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.

Thats from the official ATF site. So if it meets any of those criteria then you can get it with your C&R license.

Last edited:
Tom,

If youhave a C&R you should be familiar with this document on the BATFE website:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/

Section 2. lists the eligible firearms. Looks like there is a serial number restriction on the Argentine Colts.

Argentine D.G.F.M. (FMAP) System Colt Model 1927 pistols, marked "Ejercito Argentino" bearing S/Ns less than 24501.

Last edited:
I am confused a tad because the gun I am looking at has the 11.25mm on the slide so that is why I took this quote from the BATF site:

Argentine D.G.F.M. - (F.M.A.P.) System Colt model 1927, cal. 11.25mm commercial variations.

What confuses me is that there is no serial restriction on this one. Am I reading this wrong? Like I said this is my first attempt at this so my comfort level is low.

As for the gun I am looking at the serial starts with 107xxx. I believe it was produced in 1960.

For reference here is what it says under section two for both model of the sistema:

Argentine D.G.F.M. (FMAP) System Colt Model 1927 pistols, marked "Ejercito Argentino" bearing S/Ns less than 24501.

Argentine D.G.F.M. - (F.M.A.P.) System Colt model 1927, cal. 11.25mm commercial variations.

For reference here is what it says under section two for both model of the sistema:

Since I have never seen a commercial variation I would guess that it does not have the "Ejercito Argentino" military markings on the right slide of the slide. This side seems to be where the various military services/LE departments marked their pistols.

Thought some pictures might help. There is a crest on the gun it does not say Ejercito Argentino on it.

1-1.jpg

2.jpg

Will a C&R work for this piece?

Tom

There is a crest on the gun it does not say Ejercito Argentino on it.

At this point my best advice is to take this to the forum I've referenced below. You are more likely to find better advice as to exactly which one this is there. Can you tell us what the writing on the left side of the slide just behind the muzzle says? Is that the importer marks?

http://www.1911forum.com/

FPrice taht is the import markings, I can not make out which importer it came through though. I will post a thread on 1911forums. thank you for all your help.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom