• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Singletary Rod & Gun Club Oxford, Mass

Do you have any experience with SGC Rick, I'm new to the area and this is only the third club I've found so far, not looking very hard I'll admit, but I do want to eventually find a club to call home. if not SGC, any suggestions?

Not sure how far you want to travel, but check out

www.srgclub.com

Southborough Rod & Gun Club, Hopkinton

Thanks for the suggestion Happy, a bit to far for me. I wish I had known about Southborough before, just moved from Holliston. I spent my time there throwing lead on private property because I never came accross many other GE's while living in that area, lotsa lefty's. I thought it best not to broadcast my compunction for firepower. Where I live now...my new neighbor,who is a former LEO and now the town dispatcher, told me it's basicly a requirement to live in my town that one be armed. Aaaaahh, home.

Thanks for the suggestion Happy, a bit to far for me. . . .
Where I live now...my new neighbor. . . told me it's basicly a requirement to live in my town that one be armed. .

where is home now? it could help make some suggestions. I'm in Northbridge, and in 15 minutes can be at 7 or 8 different clubs.

What you like to do (ie skeet, trap, pistol, archery, fishing, indoor shooting, hi-power) would make a difference on where I would suggest. Each club has their pros/cons

Do you have any experience with SGC Rick, I'm new to the area and this is only the third club I've found so far, not looking very hard I'll admit, but I do want to eventually find a club to call home. if not SGC, any suggestions?

I originally joined in 1973 and now have joined again. I didn't hunt or fish much while my kids were growing up. (long story)

Yes I am there all the time these days. It's a very nice club with lot's of stuff happening.

We have an AR-15 competition tomorrow August 9th at 10:00 am open to the public. Even though I don't own an AR .......yet, I plan on going to watch.

Rick<><

where is home now? it could help make some suggestions. I'm in Northbridge, and in 15 minutes can be at 7 or 8 different clubs.

What you like to do (ie skeet, trap, pistol, archery, fishing, indoor shooting, hi-power) would make a difference on where I would suggest. Each club has their pros/cons

I'm in the Sturbridge area, I would be looking for a pretty standard setup-Pistol(indoor/outdoor), long range, trap, and I get the urge to Arch every now and again.

OH! and a permanent toilet solution is key, took a drive by a club with a newer acqauintence from the area, (won't mention which club) and it didn't have a permanent water closet, and their Portajohns must have been on loan elsewhere. good thing I didn't have to go.

Thanks for the help

I'm in the Sturbridge area, I would be looking for a pretty standard setup-Pistol(indoor/outdoor), long range, trap, and I get the urge to Arch every now and again.

OH! and a permanent toilet solution is key, took a drive by a club with a newer acqauintence from the area, (won't mention which club) and it didn't have a permanent water closet, and their Portajohns must have been on loan elsewhere. good thing I didn't have to go.

Thanks for the help

Here's the complete rundown on facilities. Huge stocked trout pond, Pheasant pen (for release) How many we have (100's), Rifle range looks like a golf course fairway (flat and mowed) 130 yards to first burm, 250 yards to last burm, Pistol only outside no indoor range, Trap range for 25 shooters (closed for lead contamination, may re-open some day), Archery lanes with 2D and 3D targets, Huge 2 story clubhouse, and yes with indoor bathrooms!, outdoor picnic areas and more. Come august 30 for field day it's the biggest outdoor event of the year, a band, lobsters, steamers, BBQ, games and family fun for all. 100's attend.

We have rifle, pistol, archery and muzzle loader leagues too.

Last edited:
Sturbridge You have Hamilton Rod and Gun which I belong to great club been a member since mid 90's. Indoor pistol house, covered rifle range, Trap every sunday morning, Fishing, archery and camping.

Sturbridge You have Hamilton Rod and Gun which I belong to great club been a member since mid 90's. Indoor pistol house, covered rifle range, Trap every sunday morning, Fishing, archery and camping.

I had heard that they were putting in a 600 yd. rifle range. Have they done so yet?

Sturbridge You have Hamilton Rod and Gun which I belong to great club been a member since mid 90's. Indoor pistol house, covered rifle range, Trap every Sunday morning, Fishing, archery and camping.

I have to check it out one of these days. The club is only about 10 -15 minutes from my house so I really don't have a good reason why I haven't gone there yet.

There are plans for a 600 yard range and an all new indoor pistol range. They sold off alot of gravel that a contractor is going to mine out of the club. a With the money the club is going to build the 600 yard range and the new pistol range. They haven't actually started yet and they said at the last meeting the club was having the lawyers review all the contracts and hopefully all this would get rolling soon. I hope so because a 600yard range would sure be nice.

Big Red stop up on a sunday if you like trap its open to the public Or friday night the bar is open and someone is always willing to show you around.

It was a great time at Field day this weekend. It's good to see that club that has been in existence so long is thriving. I first joined in 1974 and the members numbered in the hundreds, now it is just around 1,000 strong. Looking forward to shooting in the fall pistol league.

Mini-rant.

As a 10+ year member of Singletary, I am accustomed to (but do not like) passing through throngs of guys with Hells Angels jackets on my way to the rifle range during bike shows and swap meets that aren't on our calender. Love leaving my rifle on the bench or rack to walk downrange, too. I was especially unhappy earlier this month, when, after checking that my newsletter calender was clear, I packed up my gear and headed out to the range, only to find that the entire rifle range was being used as a parking lot and that I had no choice but to turn around and go home.

I'm sure (I hope) that these are excellent fundraisers for the club, since I'm sure most members aren't coming over with their kids or grandkids to trout fish with the Hells Angels. If we must have these events to keep the club open, can we at least add them to the monthly calender so dues-paying members can know that their club is closed to them?

Best regards,

55_grain

PS: Looking forward to December, when the range is closed too, for the entire month. Dozens of club members can't shoot, so, what, maybe 1 or 2 guys can hunt back there?

Anyone know another range in the Oxford/Auburn area with 100 yards or more of rifle range that isn't closed all the damn time?

Any active Singletary members out here willing to give a quick tour of the grounds? I recently moved to Worcester and joined, sight unseen (I liked what I've heard and seen online but haven't used the facilities yet) Due to a weird work schedule I haven't been able to make it to any events or meetings. Would love to just get the lay of the land (especially the archery range) and meet some other members.

Ive been a member there since i was 19. Nice grounds. nice rifle range when its not too busy. nice hall area and decent bar room downstairs. Outdoor picnic area by the stocked pond. ATV trails that are sometimes open (confusing situation). They do host swap meets and no they arent good about putting that info out there for everyone (hell, i ride and like to go if i know when they are in advance & members get in free). I hear great things about the bow area but havent been over there in years as i have no bow (yet). They do raise pheasants but i believe they are for other clubs. I have never heard of a pheasant hunt there. As far as the trap range goes, its been closed as long as i can remember and nobony thinks its going to reopen. Wish it would!!!
All in all its a great club for the $ and hopefully will get better. Huge potential...

Thanks joshh, that's what I've heard about the club, and why I joined. I have weird days off (Tue/Wed off and often work nights) so haven't been able to get together with anyone for an actual tour of the grounds.

If you are interested in shooting in the Winter Pistol league make sure to contact Dick Granger or John L. Think the winter league is starting in January....

Sunday's - starts with .22s and then center fire (usually payout for top 3 shooters - you shoot 5 relays and most wins are in the running for payouts)

Thanks joshh, that's what I've heard about the club, and why I joined. I have weird days off (Tue/Wed off and often work nights) so haven't been able to get together with anyone for an actual tour of the grounds.

id meet you there but workin til 6-7pm every day but sundays right now.

Swing there on a nice day when you have off and hit the bar downstairs. usually someone there and if its one of the old timers, i am sure they would love to show you around. friendly club (for the most part)

id meet you there but workin til 6-7pm every day but sundays right now.

Swing there on a nice day when you have off and hit the bar downstairs. usually someone there and if its one of the old timers, i am sure they would love to show you around. friendly club (for the most part)

Thanks, that's good to know!

Mini-rant.

As a 10+ year member of Singletary, I am accustomed to (but do not like) passing through throngs of guys with Hells Angels jackets on my way to the rifle range during bike shows and swap meets that aren't on our calender. Love leaving my rifle on the bench or rack to walk downrange, too. I was especially unhappy earlier this month, when, after checking that my newsletter calender was clear, I packed up my gear and headed out to the range, only to find that the entire rifle range was being used as a parking lot and that I had no choice but to turn around and go home.

I'm sure (I hope) that these are excellent fundraisers for the club, since I'm sure most members aren't coming over with their kids or grandkids to trout fish with the Hells Angels. If we must have these events to keep the club open, can we at least add them to the monthly calender so dues-paying members can know that their club is closed to them?

Best regards,

55_grain

PS: Looking forward to December, when the range is closed too, for the entire month. Dozens of club members can't shoot, so, what, maybe 1 or 2 guys can hunt back there?

Anyone know another range in the Oxford/Auburn area with 100 yards or more of rifle range that isn't closed all the damn time?
I was using the search function looking for Singletary R&G posts. Are you still a member there?

I am currently a member of ASC, but I have heard that Singletary has a 250 yrd rifle range, but I don't know anything else about it (Pistol range, dues, etc.) There wasn't too much information on NES about the club.

I was using the search function looking for Singletary R&G posts. Are you still a member there?

I am currently a member of ASC, but I have heard that Singletary has a 250 yrd rifle range, but I don't know anything else about it (Pistol range, dues, etc.) There wasn't too much information on NES about the club.
You are replying to a 10-year-old post.

Back
Top Bottom