• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Single Action vs DA/SA

I'm researching my first handgun purchase and have pretty much narrowed it down to the CZ Shadow 2. Fired it at a range once a couple years ago and fell in love with the gun.

The CZ Shadow 2 comes in both DA/SA or Singe Action only versions - I'm sure there are personal preferences for either - but which one would you folks recommend?

I'll mainly be using the gun for target practice at the range. I don't intend to conceal carry and my skills are far from competition level. Seems like the main difference is heavier trigger pull on the first shot of a DA/SA, and different best practices if I were to conceal carry - but not very relevant in my case. Sadly I don't recall which version I had fired before.

Any major difference when it comes to putting rounds through at the range? Or things I should be considering?

Thanks!!

I'm researching my first handgun purchase and have pretty much narrowed it down to the CZ Shadow 2. Fired it at a range once a couple years ago and fell in love with the gun.

The CZ Shadow 2 comes in both DA/SA or Singe Action only versions - I'm sure there are personal preferences for either - but which one would you folks recommend?

I'll mainly be using the gun for target practice at the range. I don't intend to conceal carry and my skills are far from competition level. Seems like the main difference is heavier trigger pull on the first shot of a DA/SA, and different best practices if I were to conceal carry - but not very relevant in my case. Sadly I don't recall which version I had fired before.

Any major difference when it comes to putting rounds through at the range? Or things I should be considering?

Thanks!!

If you have any intention of shooting USPSA production with this gun you will want the DA/SA version. Otherwise with the SA gun you would have to shoot Limited minor with it.

That's literally it.

Also not competing with the gun is sort of sacrilege. Even if you decide to get the SA version (which I have, great gun) at least go shoot a steel challenge match or a plate match with
it. It doesn't matter if you suck at first, you will get better. I'm not even that good and competing is fun.

Seems like the main difference is heavier trigger pull on the first shot of a DA/SA, and different best practices if I were to conceal carry - but not very relevant in my case. Sadly I don't recall which version I had fired before.

Thanks!!

Thats about it. And even then, depending on the model, it might "out of the box" be better than say an SP01.
Maybe sights, and one comes cut for optics,but no major differences.
Mines an SA/DA. Shadow Target 2. Way smoother d.a. than say my 97b. Easily remedied by way of Cajun Gun Works.

Welcome to the CZ club, please be sure to wear your Top Hat and Monocle at all times.

I'm not a fan of that long heavy trigger pull on the first shot of a DA/SA so I usually cock the hammer but it's nice to have the option if you change your mind later.

I'm not a fan of that long heavy trigger pull on the first shot of a DA/SA so I usually cock the hammer but it's nice to have the option if you change your mind later.

On an S2 if you get the gun tuned up I bet its under 7 lbs. Also you don't have to run it that way, you can run it in C1 like a 1911 and shoot it from single action only. Safety will engage with the hammer back.

OP you want a shadow 2 for your first handgun? that pistol i would go with SA. didn't realize they even make it DA/SA, which ultimately is pointless unless the pistol has a decocker. personally i'm a TDA guy so other than glocks everything i shoot is DA/SA.

Second strike takes too much time. (Eval time, not trigger-pull time). Tap rack bang.

As you can tell, I hate DA/SA. I'd take a stock out-of-the-box tight-as-hell Glock trigger before a DA/SA.

DA/SA gives you second strike capability on a hard primer, which I like in a defensive pistol. On a range gun, it doesn't matter.

Second strike = your gun is broken, or your ammo is really bad. Frankly you're better off jacking the round out and firing the next one. The last time i had a centerfire handgun fail to fire was a 1911 with a gummed up fp channel. Before that it was over a decade ago with S&B ammo back when their primers used to be exceptionally hard... maybe one out of a thousand rounds your gun would not fire it....

I'm not the gun guru that many here are but, if you're primarily going to shoot at the range, can't you just use a DA/SA as a SA only (you just wouldn't use the decocker)? The SA can't be used as a DA/SA because it doesn't have DA capability. Therefore it would seem that the DA/SA is the logical option since it can be used both ways (I'm sure someone will provide better insight that exposes my pistol experience limitations [laugh] )

I own a Sig P239 in DA/SA and since I'm used to that configuration that is my preference.

DA/SA gives you second strike capability on a hard primer, which I like in a defensive pistol. On a range gun, it doesn't matter.

Using first run ammo (not reloads), how many times have you had a dead primer? You do make a good point, but it's almost a solution looking for a problem.

I'm not the gun guru that many here are but, if you're primarily going to shoot at the range, can't you just use a DA/SA as a SA only (you just wouldn't use the decocker)? The SA can't be used as a DA/SA because it doesn't have DA capability. Therefore it would seem that the DA/SA is the logical option since it can be used both ways (I'm sure someone will provide better insight that exposes my pistol experience limitations [laugh] )

I own a Sig P239 in DA/SA and since I'm used to that configuration that is my preference.

The SAO Shadow 2 has a different shaped (more flat, but still slightly curved) trigger and a tiny reset. That said, the regular S2 is no slouch.

Sada for sure. You don't have to be great to be shooting uspsa. That said if i had to have one cz instead of the 6-7 i have if get an sp01 tactical. It's a real do it all gun and you can shoot idpa as well as uspsa.

The Shadow 2 is my favorite pistol. Mine is DA/SA.

As has been touched on before, for production USPSA you'd have to go DA/SA, but if you have no intentions of doing that, it's up to you. I do want to try a CZ75 compact and/or SP-01 to see how "exceptional" the S2 is, or if I just like the CZ style the best in general.

Can't really go wrong buying a S2. I have found it slightly muzzle heavy and can transition a little faster with my S1 but aside from that it's a great gun.

If you have any intention of shooting USPSA production with this gun you will want the DA/SA version. Otherwise with the SA gun you would have to shoot Limited minor with it.

That's literally it.

Also not competing with the gun is sort of sacrilege. Even if you decide to get the SA version (which I have, great gun) at least go shoot a steel challenge match or a plate match with
it. It doesn't matter if you suck at first, you will get better. I'm not even that good and competing is fun.
Great advice drgrant! Wish someone told me early on! Definitely do a steel match! Its satisfying hearing that steel ring, but even more fun hanging with the other shooters in the squad.

That's literally it.

Thanks for the advice! I know next to nothing about competing, but will check out if there are any USPSA clubs or competitions near me, at least go watch a few. Up until now I've only seen YouTube videos of steel shooting but it does look like a lot of fun.

If you happen to be familiar with the greater Worcester, MA area any recommendations on where to get started to look into local competitions?

Sounds like the DA/SA is the way to go and offers more flexibility compared to the SA. Now I just have to hurry up and wait for my LTC to come!

Thanks for the advice! I know next to nothing about competing, but will check out if there are any USPSA clubs or competitions near me, at least go watch a few. Up until now I've only seen YouTube videos of steel shooting but it does look like a lot of fun.

If you happen to be familiar with the greater Worcester, MA area any recommendations on where to get started to look into local competitions?

Sounds like the DA/SA is the way to go and offers more flexibility compared to the SA. Now I just have to hurry up and wait for my LTC to come!
IDPA match on Saturday. I’ll be there. Need to pre register here:

I think Harvard and Hopkington might be out your way.
Keep an eye on Practiscore for matches. Lists all types within a radius you set. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than it was a few years ago.

Be careful, shooting steel is addictive. You'll get hooked and thats it. Next thing you know your walking down the street and every street sign is a target. And you're like " Look at that, that flock of pigeons over kinda look like Speed Option."

Second strike = your gun is broken, or your ammo is really bad. Frankly you're better off jacking the round out and firing the next one. The last time i had a centerfire handgun fail to fire was a 1911 with a gummed up fp channel. Before that it was over a decade ago with S&B ammo back when their primers used to be exceptionally hard... maybe one out of a thousand rounds your gun would not fire it....

Have you tried out any IMI ammo? It has a really hard primer. My CZ shoots it fine. My Sigs sometimes need a second shot to make it cycle. The ammo isn't great, but it does well in some guns and not so well in others.

I wrote in a defensive gun. I guess it's a classic "have it and not need it vs need it and not have it" thing. Either way, I'm not advocating for either fcg. OP should get whatever he's most comfy with.

A very nice choice going with the shadow 2.I would go with DA/SA,but that's just my opinion.

DA/SA. And I hate da/sa guns. But the shadow 2 was my first CZ.

It changed my mind (mostly as I got a Tactical Sports Orange a year later).

You can keep in single action so...

I tuned mine myself with off the shelf Cajun parts and now the DA is 6-6.5 lbs. single is around 3-3.5.

One of my favorites.

I’ll say I’d go da/sa as well but my reasoning is that Once You master the da/sa you’ll be able to shoot anything well. Seeing as your relatively inexperienced now is the time to learn and it will make you a better shooter. Trigger control is critical in being accurate.

If you can’t find a shadow.. there is a nice Cz tactical sport with 4 mags in the classified section.. but that is sao

I found a PA seller and MA FFL who are willing to do frame transfer, so should be all set once I get my LTC =D

I also saw a shadow 2 in classified but sadly I was a couple days too late and it’s already taken :(

I’ll say I’d go da/sa as well but my reasoning is that Once You master the da/sa you’ll be able to shoot anything well. Seeing as your relatively inexperienced now is the time to learn and it will make you a better shooter. Trigger control is critical in being accurate.

That’s fair, definitely sounds like da/sa takes the lead over SA

I think Harvard and Hopkington might be out your way.
Keep an eye on Practiscore for matches. Lists all types within a radius you set. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than it was a few years ago.

Be careful, shooting steel is addictive. You'll get hooked and thats it. Next thing you know your walking down the street and every street sign is a target. And you're like " Look at that, that flock of pigeons over kinda look like Speed Option."

I’m not far from Hopkinton, will check out Practiscore!

Back
Top Bottom