silhouettes

a while back i went an shot a mp-5 in manchester NH.. (at a range) and my friend i was with, who had never shot a gun before, brought the targets back (silhouettes) but before we left a guy that worked there told them if we ran into law enforcement to make sure we tell them we shot the targets in NH. and sounded uneasy to let them bring them to mass, but let them.
heres something i found online about it. (on gunowners.org)

Massachusetts Morality -- Part I
by
Larry Pratt
It is, without a doubt, one of the most idiotic laws I've ever heard of -- and I've heard of a lot of idiotic laws. The state, not surprisingly, is Massachusetts. The law, the brainchild of Democratic Rep. Christopher Hodgkins, says that state-licensed gun clubs "shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties." Violation of this law could result in revocation of a club's license and a fine of no less than $1,000 and no more than $10,000.

In defense of this absurd law, Massachusetts Acting Governor Jane Swift has said its purpose is "to stop target practice that arguably increases the practicer's capacity to shoot human beings." She has also said: "A target depicting a human is not a symbol. Rather, it is an object that permits a person to become more proficient at using deadly force on a human being."

Echoing this assertion, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit declared: "A person who has practiced shooting at a human-shaped target will likely be more proficient at shooting humans than a person who has had to practice at a circular target."
[angry]
Just pinting out how dumb laws have gotten for us gun owners here.

I was at a public range today (in mass), and there were people shooting smaller silhouettes. is this an exception or is this law not enforced?

ok, so Im lost here. what are the different licenses for a club?? and what is a state licensed gun club? Can someone explain all this for me?

You will do best by reading the original text of the statutes, but in general a "state licensed club" is a club that has obtained a non-individual LTC for the ownership and storage of club-owned firearms. See G.L. ch. 140, sec. 131(a), which provides, in relevant part:

"The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a Class A license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of such club; provided, however, that not less [sic: should be "fewer"] than one shareholder of such club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued such license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under such Class A club license only by such members that possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B or a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or by such other persons that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid Class A license to carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms. Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties."

While I have no inside information, I infer that the statute was drafted this way -- that is to say, as a restriction on a license issued to a club versus a general prohibition on individual's conduct -- in order to avoid a legal hassle about violating the First Amendment. After all, if lighting a match to an American flag is protected, then firing holes through an image of Osama bin Laden's face (or Nancy Pelosi's face?) must also be.

As others have noted, I am aware of no clubs that, in fact, have applied for and obtained LTCs, but I am also aware of clubs that have decided, on their own, to proscribe the use of any but bullseye targets.

Footnote: it is illustrative of the ignorance behind this provision that every club of which I am aware is organized as a membership corporation, which is a form of organization that does not have "shareholders." That being the case, all or virtually all of the clubs in the commonwealth could not qualify for the described license, since if you do not have any shareholders, you cannot have no fewer than one shareholder holding his own LTC. Lunacy.