• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Human silhouettes issue

So I discovered a really outstanding deal on targets, both paper/cardboard even plastic and 3-D type. Alot of military type stuff, some of you may be familiar with. Unfortunately M.G.L 140 Section 131a states:

"Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties."

The question is does that apply only to a club that has been issued a class A license by the state police as stated in the first part of the paragraph? I assume if the club rents or charges a fee to shoot a club owned weapon using that obtained state license there would be an issue? Therefore if the club you attend does not have a state issued class A, your good to go? And where does IDPA type stuff fall into play with all this legal junk?

This is something that I feel would really enhance not only my shooting experiences, at these prices the club itself could probably afford to pick some up, and the life span of said targets are very long lasting. Its really win/win.

Little help gentleman?

Oh yah, heres the link to the site: Lucky free staters . . . [angry]
http://www.letargets.com/index.aspx

Last edited:
This only applies to such licensed clubs. There are only one or two in the state. I'm not sure which ones. I'm sure someone will chime in with the specifics.

This only applies to such licensed clubs. There are only one or two in the state. I'm not sure which ones.

I believe there is only one, and it's in Andover? (Why is it we can never figure out which club has the license? [laugh]) Anyway, yes, it only applies to clubs with their own LTC, and that's basically non-existent, so no worries. At least one place has their own rule against it though.

Wow. I had no idea.... and I mean no idea that using a Human silhouette target would be an issue in MA.

Here I am a couple weeks ago on an early Saturday morning, minding my own business, shooting at a life size Human silhouette target at my range here in town. Nobody else was there as is pretty common. WTF.

I mean I've only been a gun owner for a few months. I read a lot about the subject of ownership, laws, and responsibilities. It is literally a minefield of legal issues here in MA.

Lot's of misinformation on this subject! JoeHaus & JDubois are 100% correct. One problem is that many clubs have wrongly prohibited these types of targets as the BOD/membership believed that these targets are illegal. Beware of the ignorant club member that gives you a verbal lashing for "breakin' the law" or actually violating club bylaws

Too many words for CrossX? YES! This is JGreen. Arbabi is currently presenting the "training aids" lesson at GOAL's NRA Instructor Course.

"Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties."

Once again, agents of the state get the okey-dokey, but us peons get the shaft.

Wow. I had no idea.... and I mean no idea that using a Human silhouette target would be an issue in MA.
This provision is known as the Hodgkins Ammendement (after MA Democratic senator Christopher Hodgkins) who added this to extract a bit of payback because some people used his picture as a target. Fortunately, he was incompetent in doing so as it was worded as to be all but totally irrelevant. Not only is it restricted to clubs with LTCs, but is simply requires the club to prohibit it - and does not specify a penalty or even define shooting at such targets as illegal (the illegal act is the club's failure to prohibit it).

Just curious... why would a club want an LTC? What is the value to them to do this?

Thanks,

Rich

There is no issue. The next time someone tells you that you can't shoot at a silhouette target, start laughing maniacally in his face.

At this point that issue is so over hyped, we should get the lefties at snopes.com to add it to their database. [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom