• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Silencer in NH

Has anyone ever purchased a silencer for a firearm in NH? I found a website that sells silencers (and I know that several shops in NH also sell them), and the website indicated that all you need to do is place an order to legally own one. I thought that one had to get a Federal Stamp (or something along those lines). My father lives in NH and was wondering if it were legal to get a silencer for his 10/22 (backyard plinking and varmit control).

Just curious.

You pay for the item and the tax stamp at purchase day, do the paperwork and wait. When the paperwork comes back go pickup your supressor. I have heard recent figures of about 14 weeks wait time

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

As mentioned above, ownership is easy, but slow. Might be worth looking at the "Revocable Living Trust" approach -- this eliminates the CLEO signoff and makes it easier for you to inherit the controlled item.
My father lives in NH and was wondering if it were legal to get a silencer for his 10/22 (backyard plinking and varmit control).
Watch out with "varmint control", there are NH F&G regulations that apply, even with non-game animals.

--- Update 6/10/2016 ---
New Hampshire laws changed today, [thread=311309]suppressors are now legal for hunting[/thread] after the passage of HB 500.

Last edited:
You pay for the item and the tax stamp at purchase day, do the paperwork and wait. When the paperwork comes back go pickup your supressor. I have heard recent figures of about 14 weeks wait time

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

This is only true if the vendor your using has the suppressor in stock. If it needs to be ordered from the manufacturer, you purchase the suppressor, the vendor fills out the form 3 paperwork, and submits it to the ATF&E before the suppressor can be shipped to them. Once they receive the suppressor, you can fill out the form 4 paperwork, obtain your CLEO signature, passport photos, and fingerprint cards, then submit it to the ATF&E. After they finish your paperwork (plan on ~6 weeks for this portion alone) and have sent it back to the FFL/vendor, you finally get your suppressor.

You CANNOT complete/submit the form 4 paperwork until the vendor has the suppressor.

My timeline, FYI.

3/19/2010 Form 3 submitted to ATF
4/9/2010 Form 3 approved; Shipped to dealer same day
4/16/2010 Form 4 submitted (Trust)

...127 days and counting.

(For reference, my last Form 1 took 133 days, so I'm starting to get anxious)

NH has regs about hunting anything with a suppressor (a big no no). Always follow the SSS method. Also, the paper work would have to be filled out by your dad if the suppressor is to be stored at his house in NH. I do not think Suppressors are legal in MA but I am not a MA resident so I have no need to know, consult the MA law forums for more definitive information regarding that.

I do not think Suppressors are legal in MA but I am not a MA resident so I have no need to know, consult the MA law forums for more definitive information regarding that.

You think correctly sir... we have way too many suppressor related homocides down here for them to be legal ;)

Back
Top Bottom