Sight Bite

Chuck

NES Member
Hi,

I've been having some failures to fire and extract with my Colt 1911. Of course I need to fix that. But, all the "tap rack bangs" I've been doing in practice and competition have left my hands looking like I was holding the wrong end of the weed whacker because I have a low mount Bomar rear sight.

Great for bullseye, not so "tactical" for IDPA. From Googling around, it looks like there is no other sight that will fit the Bomar dovetail. That sound right?

What if I was to file down (i.e "melt") the hard and sharp corners of the sight? Anyone ever try that? Will I have to do something to protect the metal afterwards?

thanks,
Chuck

Yes, you can file down, or melt the sights, and you won't have to do anything else to protect the metal.

It would be great if you could solve the underlying feeding and extraction problem, since that is the real source of your angst.

You don't have to do anything to protect the metal, just keep it oiled. I like to cold blue with Brownells oxypho blue which provides some measure of protection from rust and is easy to renew when it wears. Adjustable sights tend to be sharp like that and I really don't care for them in the action games. Higher end guns have all the sharp edges melted.

FWIW I just checked my S&W DK 1911... the sights say S&W on them and are adjustable like yours... rounder edges for sure. Never mind the injuries... you don't want that snagging on your draw.

FWIW I just checked my S&W DK 1911... the sights say S&W on them and are adjustable like yours... rounder edges for sure. Never mind the injuries... you don't want that snagging on your draw.
Interesting, the S&W 1911 with adjustable sights that I bought had some dehorning done and it was still hella sharp and I have cut myself several times just drawing it! I know the PC1911s have the sights completely dehorned.

Interesting, the S&W 1911 with adjustable sights that I bought had some dehorning done and it was still hella sharp and I have cut myself several times just drawing it! I know the PC1911s have the sights completely dehorned.

Well I checked out Chuck's- they WERE sharp! Mine aren't scratch proof but certainly rounded more than his were. I think a slight variation to the tap a rack technique might help as well. I don't grab anywhere near the sights and when I let go I let it go!

No one sells replacement blades for real BO-MAR sights. I finally got the company on the horn today. All blades are custom fit to the sight body! They will take my sight, or even easier my whole slide, and take the blade off. They will dehorn it and reinstall it with new windage screw and nut for a grand total of $28.50.

I think that's the way I'm going. Their tech was clear in saying any attempt by a less then highly qualified 'smith would result in a blade that could work itself loose. From what they're charging, I can't believe they're saying that just to make more money. If you look on their web site they have a "dog-eared" sight blade on what they call the Combat and mine should come out looking like that.

cheers,
Chuck

Beats $150 for a sights and installation from Heinie. That would be fixed sights and not even night sights.

Back
Top Bottom